Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Running: Week of Oct 19

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll start the thread this week.

I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week. I will run this week . . .

My SIL ran a 4 hr marathon last weekend. She is my inspiration to get back out there and hit the pavement.
    Last edited by limewave; 10-19-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: addition

A 4 hr marathon? That is inspiring!

Now that winter is setting in, I think I'll be doing more running than riding, since I'm not a fan of the trainer. My plan for the week is just to run twice (I'm taking today for recovery ). Hopefully they will both be longer than 30 min, but I'll take what I can get.

Last night at dinner I ran into a woman who used to regularly kick my @ss at bicycle races, 20 years ago.

Sunday when I ran my first half-marathon, she ran the full marathon in 3:43. (Her overall pace was identical to the pace I was so proud of for my last two miles.)

The difference is, I don't even try to compete with her now.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have an urge to run but I am reading that I should recover this week.

So, I rode this morning, 15.5 miles, and will ride back tonight the same miles. Taking it easy at 15 mph and spinning it out.

Tanking up and eating lots of carbs.

When oh when can I safely run again? I am thinking Thursday?

I have a trail race 11/22 and I want to make sure I train properly for it.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I have an urge to run but I am reading that I should recover this week.
    ----
    When oh when can I safely run again? I am thinking Thursday?
    I rode 12 easy miles yesterday. It really loosened up the stiffness is my quads. Today I walked to work (all of 8 minutes) and other than walking home, I don't have any plans but stretching.

I think I'll go for a 30-60 minute run tomorrow. Based on how I feel today (a little sore,but not bad), that distance should be doable.

I'm leaving for Cabo on Thursday morning for a long weekend trip with 6 girlfriends. I'll bring my running shoes and plan to run on the beach at least 2 mornings while there. Almost all my girlfriends are runners, so we'll all drag our butts out there together. Friday is my 40th birthday, and I definitely plan to run that morning in celebration!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I got 2.5 miles in this morning at 5 AM. Felt pretty good.

My goal is to get two more runs in this week, another 2 miler and a 4 miler on the weekend.

I am suppose to do my first real trail race on Saturday. But my hip has been bothering me since last week. I think maybe it's bursitis. It fits the on line description anyway. Funny, it seemed to be cycling that pushed it over the edge though. Yesterday it hurt so badly, I didn't even want to go to work. Rest, ice and Advil seem to be helping.

The race is a 10K and because of all the rain we've had, they may move it onto the road. The mud out at the reservoir is super slippery. If it becomes a road race, that will make it easier to decide to stay home if I don't think I've recovered enough.

The trouble with bursitis is apparently it is reoccuring. "Don't do what causes the pain." Great, except I want to run and ride. It's got a week to get better, before I go see the doctor.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Today's run around the neighborhood was better form-wise than the previous three (not sure what my problem is, but it seems to be tight adductors again--whenever that happens it's harder to run well) but this time my GI tract decided not to cooperate so I had to make an unscheduled pit stop. It's been an off week...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I wish I'd read as much about recovery as I did about training, ahead of time.

I had to teach aerobics yesterday (wasn't that fun) and I have to teach again tomorrow morning. No risers, no impact, no legwork - luckily my participants aren't very athletic and they don't mind.

I should've taken the day off today but it was absolutely GORGEOUS and one of my riding buddies decided to take the day off work. She sent out a general call and everyone else begged off. I warned her I was going to be slo-o-o-ow.

Maybe I'll take the day off Thursday. Or, maybe I'll go for a little run.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I am suppose to do my first real trail race on Saturday. But my hip has been bothering me since last week. I think maybe it's bursitis. It fits the on line description anyway. Funny, it seemed to be cycling that pushed it over the edge though. Yesterday it hurt so badly, I didn't even want to go to work. Rest, ice and Advil seem to be helping.

The race is a 10K and because of all the rain we've had, they may move it onto the road. The mud out at the reservoir is super slippery. If it becomes a road race, that will make it easier to decide to stay home if I don't think I've recovered enough.

The trouble with bursitis is apparently it is reoccuring. "Don't do what causes the pain." Great, except I want to run and ride. It's got a week to get better, before I go see the doctor.

Veronica
    Where is the pain located? If it is on the outside of the hip over the greater trochanter, it could be IT band related--have you ever had ITB issues?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I don't think it's IT band because it hurts when I lie on it.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I don't think it's IT band because it hurts when I lie on it.

Veronica
    I was thinking more along the lines of, the IT band rubbing against the bursa and irritating it resulting in soreness (that stays even after you finish the workout, unlike the typical ITB knee pain).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Today was my second treadmill run this week. My goal is to ease back into running and do it without injury this time. I ran for 15 minutes, making sure to stop before my hip hurt, and then walked for another 15. Even did a few minutes of barefoot walking to strengthen and practice form.

I'm feeling very impatient with these little runs, but exhilarated by the fact that there hasn't been any "bad" pain. Gotta stay focused and patient!

I am hoping to introduce Tuesday Colby to Sunday Colby so they can run together. Tuesday Colby ran 8 miles in 1:10 today (yeah. 8:45 miles ). Apparently last week's Tuesday run wasn't a fluke either.

The running plan I'm on calls for longer Tuesday runs at "goal pace", but I've been doing them at "sustainable effort pace" which is more aggressive, but it's not like I'm crawling across the last mile or in pain the next day. I really just want to run my marathon around 10 minute miles (finish under 4:30). I have been doing my Sunday runs at approximate "goal pace" but trying to sustain a reasonable heart rate, so it's somewhere between "goal pace" and "endurance pace" in reality.

I can tell that my husband has been hanging around me for too long, the first words out of his mouth during this conversation were "so what do you do differently on Sunday? Maybe you need to get up earlier? What have you been eating?"

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Today was my second treadmill run this week. My goal is to ease back into running and do it without injury this time. I ran for 15 minutes, making sure to stop before my hip hurt, and then walked for another 15. Even did a few minutes of barefoot walking to strengthen and practice form.

I'm feeling very impatient with these little runs, but exhilarated by the fact that there hasn't been any "bad" pain. Gotta stay focused and patient!
    Hang in there... it's a long road, but it's well worth pacing yourself and waiting.