Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy Any way to prevent chafing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been biking for about 3 years, and in the past year done a couple of centuries; my main thing is triathlon.

I am constantly troubled by severe chafing - it is so bad that on long rides I will have scabbed areas on both sides of my inner thighs (thigh into "other" area) - sometimes covering a 3 in. long area. When this happens, I have to take days off of riding to let the area heal, which is frustrating.

I have tried many different saddles (currently am liking my Avocet Air ladies), I think every short that is made (I thought the Pearl Izumi Ultra Sensor would do it, but even that caused problems), tried using both Body Glide and Chamois Butter, all to no avail.

Can anyone relate?

I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions for me!

Thanks very much.

Ooooooohhhh....

Oh, I understand, but If you've tried a lot of good shorts and good products- The last ickiest thing is Vaseline. Messy, but damn is it effective. Since it's not water soluable it seems to stick around on longer rides. Reapply liberally.
    A good bikini wax can help too, hair can be a problem.
    Have you ever tried shorts with real chamois? (Actual lizard skin) I have a drawerful of Blackbottoms, which I don't even know if they're still in business, the shorts are indestructable and mine are old, but real chamois is a totally different deal than synthetic stuff. Riding buddies have admitted to real chamois and Vaseline for distances so I know it's not just me.
    I hope you find your answer- chafing is hell. Hope these tips help.

missliz

Have you tried a Brooks saddle? It's amazing how comfortable the leather is. I've even done some rides on it wearing just regular clothes. Castelli shorts are pretty good too.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Lightbulb check out this seat ...

www.ergo-theseat.com

I have the lycra one currently - will be changing to the leather one soon!
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

Lightbulb

Try using a product called Udder Balm. It comes in a square, green can and most pharmacies carry it in the skin care (not the beauty) section. Veterinarians swear by the stuff because it's the only thing that seems to help keep their hands from cracking and drying out no matter what they're doing to their hands. I use Udder Balm when I'm going to be riding in hot or steamy weather and it really works. It's like pure lanolin and while it's a tad gooey it isn't as icky as vaseline can be.

My chafing problem solved-unlikely solution

Just thought I'd report back that my chafing problem has been resolved through, of all things, a refitting of my bike!

I had followed most of the tips already - waxing, applying various things, didn't try the real chamois pad because sounded too gory of a material. I still had problems until I had my bike refit. I did that because my knee really bothered me on a century ride, so I figured something was "off".

I had never thought about it, but my left knee kind of always rubbed the top tube, and during the refitting we raised my seat, angled it, adjusted my cleats, raised my handlebars - just about everything was changed. It seems over time your strength and positioning can change, and the fit needs to be rechecked.

Voila, no more chafing, not even in the least. Yay.

Hooray! Am filing that in junk pile at back of brain, good to know. And I'm happy for you girlfreind, nobody needs that problem.
    Chamois is soft and velvety and delightful, and wears like iron. Take a look at real chamois if you ever get a chance, a joy to ride on. Car freaks use chamois to wash and dry their treasures, so you know it's deluxe stuff. It also absorbs and wicks moisture, not good for the swim leg of tri but ultimate for a century.

missliz