Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI Max Flite

SI Max Flite

To disable ads, please log-in.

So the hunt continues and I was asked to give my two cents on this saddle when I got it in. After trying several as everyone has read about (over and over and over again) I got this in yesterday and tried it this morning. I first have to say after the sleek ruby, I put it on and OMG it's HUGE! It looks a little overwhelming with the length. The rear is 150 across and has a nice slope across the front of the seat.
    I gotta say 20 miles in a hour, mostly in the drops and hoods and I was comfy! I would compare it to the SLR lady but not as soft. The cool thing about this saddle is it supported my sit bones and my interior pelvic bones perfectly. The cutout is alot longer than any womens saddles which is a big +. There is freedom when pedaling and no hitting the back of the saddle. I compared the ruby upside down on the max flite and with that little plastic nose it's the same length. The roundness of the seat is better than the big square end of the ruby. I have a century next weekend, and this is staying on. No back pain at all and my crotch was very happy!
    This is the gel flow version.
    Last edited by kermit; 10-17-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks for the review, kermit! Sounds like you might have found a "keeper". I posted on your "FS: Ruby" thread, asking what you didn't like about it. I was thinking of trying the Ruby out...too bad I missed out on buying yours. I knew that the Max Flite was long...I think I remember the specs I read on it saying it was 290mm long. That's what I was worried about...but I guess the length seems to be working fine for you. Maybe I'll have to give the Max Flite another look. I'm currently riding on a 143mm Specialized Phenom (men's MTB saddle) and haven't made up mind if I like it. On most rides, it feels great starting out...but then suddenly, things turn ugly at about the 40-mile mark. And since a lot of my rides fall in the 60-80 mile range...that doesn't bode too well for me.

I'm very anxious to hear how the Max Flite feels after your century...please keep us posted! Thanks!

Linda

Hey Linda

I used a 143 ruby for quite a while with great success. After a broken back and hip when I was younger, all of a sudden I started getting really bad back spasms on the right side. I went and measured and found that I was about a 150, with one side bigger than the other. I was basically draped across the edge of the 143 and my back was feeling it. I think the flexing of the ruby was what had helped in the beginning but what was probably my downfall.
    I went with the 155, and it feels too wide. The cutout is too wide, and the front of the seat area being so square limits my leg movement. The flat seat area supports, but I am still getting a good amount of back pain on the right side. I just thought I needed to try something with a little more padding and support. I had tried the lady SLR and the first thing I noticed was a lack of back pain and I knew I was in the right direction. I am hoping this max flite is the ticket. It really SUCKS getting old.

Thanks for your insight. Yeah, this whole saddle thing is turning into a major source of stress and frustration for me. I want so badly, to just find the right saddle and be done with it. I think I'm in the same boat as you, in regards to saddle width. I'm feeling like my current 143mm saddle is just a tad too narrow. Yet, my 155mm Terry Butterfly Tri Gel that I was using prior to this, felt too wide...as I would often get chafing on the backs of my upper thighs from it. Can't seem to find a "happy" medium in between those two sizes. Since the Max Flite is 150mm, maybe I ought to just order one and see if it works for me. Where did you order yours from? I just did a Google search on it, and found it for 109.99 at WeKeepYouCycling.com.

That's a good price, and I think their return option is okay but with a restocking fee. I orderd mine from Price Point, $114 and they are great about returning saddles. Good luck, let us know!

Century update

I spent a while in this saddle and am happy with it. No chafing and the length gives me alot of room forward and back. A little numbing, but two seconds of standing up fixed that. I am actually sore in my left hip which I think is from the better range of motion from the rounded seat front. It could also be from the freakin long ride I did. You gotta love a century with kegs of beer with food.

Thanks for the update. I'm still riding on the Specialized Phenom mtb saddle...haven't been able to make up my mind on that saddle yet. On most rides, it feels okay...but then there is always that 1 ride where it's definitely NOT okay. Not sure what to do now. Do I give it more time? Or is it time to try something else? Like the Max Flite, for example... Aside from the Max Flite, the only other saddles that I've been considering were the Jett, and the Fizik Vitesse Tri Wing Flex. But I don't really want to end up with a collection of unused saddles, sitting in box up in my attic. Oh...what to do....

Try to keep track of the information regarding your rides by shorts, distance, lube, etc. When you have a bad ride, see if you can narrow down why it went bad. I discovered some very important information regarding shaving before a ride(not your legs)...don't do it, yowza!!!!! The phenom is alot like the ruby/toupe, a very well liked saddle. Good luck!!!!
    If you can find a bike friendly area, or club, don't be afraid to ask other riders what they have on and could you try it. My first great saddle, the Terry zero X I discovered by sitting on an ironman's bike. Unfortunately they changed the fabric so much I don't care for that saddle anymore.
    Last edited by kermit; 10-26-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Re: SI Max Flite (sorry long saddle rant)

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    I spent a while in this saddle and am happy with it. No chafing and the length gives me alot of room forward and back. A little numbing, but two seconds of standing up fixed that. I am actually sore in my left hip which I think is from the better range of motion from the rounded seat front. It could also be from the freakin long ride I did. You gotta love a century with kegs of beer with food.
    are you still loving this saddle?

I am going insane trying to find something that doesn't destroy me. After the Jett 143 (it was an older model off the LBS floor), I tried the Selle Lady SLR... first of all, I was hoping to try the 155mm width but I swear it measured no more than 146mm! I don't care what the packaging said, there was air out there at 155mm! It was also a lot harder than the Jett and unfortunately because it's flat, squished the "girly bits". I'm still wondering if there was just something wrong with this particular saddle but LBS was less than understanding or even interested in making me happy (though he did take the SLR back). Told me he'd just gotten a bunch of Specialized saddles, but they were mostly men's and 130mm. The only women's saddles were huge squishy ones. Nothing for female roadies.... sigh.

I still can't figure out the whole saddle width thing. I sat on the Specialized sizer about 6 times and it tells me that with my size & the way I ride, I need a 143mm saddle (my home measurement puts me at about 117mm center to center so theoretically a 143 sounds right adding 10mm to each side to accommodate for saddle slope).

I definitely feel my sit bones on that size (I'm currently back on my Avatar men's 143mm), but the REALLY sore & chafed spots are forward and inside of them... the pubic rami?

I've been wondering whether I just needed more time and perhaps a newer model Jett since I loved the channel or maybe try a Lithia for slightly more padding but I'm still unsure about the width. Have considered the Bontrager InForm (just because it goes into the whole thing about how we sit forward of our sit bones), but haven't gotten over to a shop that carries them. Nashbar has a sale on a SSM Aspide Glamour that I thought looked intteresting but I haven't read many good things about it here and I do worry it'll "squish" me in the drops.

In the meantime, my saddle sores are growing... ARGGHHH. I'm thinking maybe the Avatar is a bit too soft, or the shape is wrong? How much more of a T can I get than a Specialized?? (yes, I realize the Bontrager is not T shaped... I'm just desperate to find something)

In the meantime a friend of mine rides the SI Max Flite but he's about 10" taller and probably weighs close to 100lbs more than me! So when you wrote about how huge it was on your bike, I started to wonder... my bike is so tiny (sigh... 650 wheels) and I know I don't need all that length.

But I have to ask!!!
    and Thank you for letting me rant! LOL
    namaste,
    v
    those who hear not the music... think the dancers mad
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~lilith/

vness-Hope this helps. I'm 5'8 and my bike is a 54. The length is the same as my 155 ruby, just thicker and more padding. I really scooted all over this thing during my century and found different comfy spots. Down in the drops and even forward on the nose the cutout was still there. The chafing you are experiencing might be from too much padding in the cutout area. I looked at the Jett but it mushes you down in the cutout. I have a used ruby coming back to me that I loaned, would you like to try it? I can have it mailed to you. It's an extra for me, 143. PM me with your address if you are interested.
    Here's a quick shot of the max flite. It doesn't look as big as it used too.
    Last edited by kermit; 04-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Re: Ruby

vness-Hope this helps. I'm 5'8 and my bike is a 54. The length is the same as my 155 ruby, just thicker and more padding. I really scooted all over this thing during my century and found different comfy spots. Down in the drops and even forward on the nose the cutout was still there. The chafing you are experiencing might be from too much padding in the cutout area. I looked at the Jett but it mushes you down in the cutout. I have a used ruby coming back to me that I loaned, would you like to try it? I can have it mailed to you. It's an extra for me, 143. PM me with your address if you are interested.
    Here's a quick shot of the max flite. It doesn't look as big as it used too.
    oh you wonderful woman!! I just PM'd you with my address and a babble LOL

your bike is a beauty!

thank you SO much
    namaste,
    v

If vness ends up not liking your 143 Ruby, I would LOVE to give it a try!! Please keep me in mind, if the saddle doesn't work out for vness. thanks!

Linda

You got it girl! I think this will be the world wide travel saddle. I will keep you posted.

Re: Ruby

You got it girl! I think this will be the world wide travel saddle. I will keep you posted.
    I love this!

It bit me! After struggling a two hour ride on Friday, I went back to the bike shop for some tweaking. I could not find any comfy spots on this saddle and it killed me, the whole ride. The boys at my LBS agreed that measuring 150, my seat bones were sliding down and I am still riding on my crotch. Took a look around and am trying the new 2010 Specialized Avatar comp gel. It has a lot flatter appearance and still gel padding and a nice cutout, at 155 my options are limited. Took the avatar out for an hour Sunday, it is a lot flatter than the max flite but I feel supported. Will be giving it a longer ride this week. I also have a tried and true back up on the way. The SSM glamour aspide with the cutout, $60 online. I had one before and loved it for a while. Its a good back up. Just when I thought I found the ONE. My next step is just getting a DIVA and having it over with.