Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

It's raining...now what?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This weekend will be the first CX race in mud so far this year. Everyone seems really excited for the mud, but I'm dreading it. Any experienced folks have advice for racing in foul weather?

I have heard some folks talking about pulling out the toe spikes. Does anyone here use them? Are they a necessity? I'm trying to stop spending money on bikes in 2009, so I don't want to have to get a different pair of shoes unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks!
    Tonya

Sorry, can't help with that. I can't remember who said it, but there's a post out there that goes something like this:

The only thing I wear in the rain is my house!

Good luck to you if you go!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Racing in the rain and the mud is all a part of 'cross. Some contest, the better part .

You don't HAVE to have anything special to race in the mud. Toe spikes will defintely help, but you DO NOT need new shoes. Your MTB shoes will have either come with the spikes (there are two per shoe and they get mounted on the bottoms at the front), or you should be able to pick them up for short $$ at the LBS. I don't race in the mud (or the dry for that matter) without mine.

Last weekend, we raced in a MONSOON. Horizontal rain, cold, mud, you name it. There was a really steep run up where having the toe spikes made all the difference - I just dug into the hill with my toes on each step and didn't slip back down (which was happening to a lot of people).

Make sure you pack lots of DRY clothes. You will likely do a warmup lap and get wet/muddy - you will want dry, clean kit for the race, and then again for afterwards. Do NOT race in a rain coat - these are too hot. In our monsoon last week, I had on a long sleeved skinsuit with a long sleeved base layer, and knee warmers.

From a handling perspective, rememer to stay loose. Don't try to steer the bike too hard - you may not be able to. If you have any question about making a section, get off and run BEFORE you get bogged down. A good mud tire (Michelin Muds or equivalent) is good, but not necessary. Just know that your tires may slip a whole lot more than normal. Float WITH the bike, not against it.

Most important, embrace the mud! And if you need laundering tips for afterwards, let me know - I've become a pro at it this season .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

You can approach rain/mud in one of two ways...
    There's the, "OMG, I can't do this/I hate mud/I'm going to have a bad time!" way, or the, "Hey, a new challenge, I love challenges!" sort of way.

The secret to mud is to generally pretend that it doesn't exist. The worst thing you can do is slow down and stare at a patch of it. Don't worry about the ruts in the grass/mud, just don't stop pedaling and keep all the momentum you can. Look ahead to the next turn (or, if you're turning, turn your head and look faaaar down the course- NOT at the barrier tape @ the outside exit of the turn). If you fall, just laugh, because falling in the mud is pretty darn fun... mud is soft

Don't worry about toe spikes if your shoes don't have the holes for them. On the bike, you can get a bit more traction by going with lower tire pressure. Your weight and the terrain will dictate how low you can go if you're running tires w/tubes. I weigh 138lb, and on a course without many roots, I'll go for ~35psi at the most.

Just get out & have a good time. It is what you make of it.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If it ain't muddy, it ain't 'cross.

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips ladies! I will definitely bring extra warmup clothes (hadn't thought of that!). I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall a few times, but I'll keep your handling tips in mind as I'm going down (oh, I was looking down at the mud, not ahead at the turn.)

I agree it is all about attitude, and I'm definitely in it for the fun. It's like most winter events - getting out the door is the hard part. Once you're out there, might as well enjoy it!

The other big news I just learned is that this week will be the first one where alcohol is allowed. I think I'll go search for tips on hand ups now.

I think I want to try this next year. It looks like fun and it will give me something to train for. I do have a cross bike that I use as my primary bike. Hope you had fun.

I'm on the injured list, but DH raced today in a downpour @ about 40 degrees. Mud everywhere. He ended up racing the SS cross bike so there would be less to clean later .

In the last race of the day, the rain turned to SNOW! I heard a bunch of the 1/2/3 men's field DNF'd due to the cold. But, this IS what 'cross is all about (maybe not quite snow in October though).

SheFly

Sounds fun to me

All of that worry and it didn't even rain! The course was a little muddy from the day before, but mostly still hard ground. Could have used some softening, as I pinch flatted about half way through first lap. I started hiking and managed to miss the pits! Had to walk a full 'nother lap. So I walked a lap and a half and rode maybe a lap. Does that even count?

I still had a good time. First time in team kit, so I feel like a real racer!

Quote Originally Posted by tjf9 View Post
    All of that worry and it didn't even rain! The course was a little muddy from the day before, but mostly still hard ground. Could have used some softening, as I pinch flatted about half way through first lap. I started hiking and managed to miss the pits! Had to walk a full 'nother lap. So I walked a lap and a half and rode maybe a lap. Does that even count?

It counts if you finished!

FWIW - tire pressure in 'cross is a discussion that is very passionate. I run my pressure a little on the high side to avoid pinch flats. I've only ever had one and I've done well over 100 races ...

SheFly

I think I would like to try this next year. How much actual running do you have to do or does it depend upon the course and my biking ability? I used to run a lot but now my legs don't like to do it too much any more.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf9 View Post

Congrats on your race! I hope to try it next year so I will keep reading everyone's posts so I can try to prepare myself.

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I think I would like to try this next year. How much actual running do you have to do or does it depend upon the course and my biking ability? I used to run a lot but now my legs don't like to do it too much any more.
    Almost no running, normally. There is always at least one barrier section where you have to get off and go over barriers (or you can bunny hop them if you know how to do that ) and usually one "run up" that is too steep to ride, so you get off and run up this hill, either pushing your bike or putting it on your shoulder. For many people (myself included) this could better be described as "hike up" since I'm not moving very fast. Out of a 2 mile course, you're off the bike 2 - 4 times, and only for a few hundred feet at most.

YMMV though; my only experience in in Portland area cross racing, and I get the impression that course design has a lot of local variation. Definitely go out and watch a race or two. You might even get over your inhibition and just try racing with whatever bike you have!