Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Already?!

Snow Already?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did you ladies see there is a chance of snow overnight tonight and tomorrow morning? Am I crazy or is this awfully early to start thinking about studded tires, wool socks, booties, face covers, and all that other winter gear?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

I've been thinking the same thing, and I'm quite a bit further south than you.

I've been wearing wool socks and a Buff as a face cover already. I'm already considering my softshell jacket for morning commutes and I put cleats on my winter cycling boots last night. I didn't think I'd need the winter softshell or boots until at least December!

I hope that this isn't some kind of bad omen....*knocks wood* Right now, we're getting socked by one rainy nor'easter, with another one set to arrive later this weekend

well, this is norway and all that, but still: we're having brilliant autumn weather complete with sub-freezing mornings. i've fetched down and worn my winter tights and winter jacket, have worn overshoes for a couple of weeks already, and have heard many a studded tire crunch past on my commute. I'm holding off on the studs until I really have to, though.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I wore 3 layers on top today, and a buff over my face. It's cold. It's looking like the snow will miss me, though. We usually don't get any until January.

I am out near the Berkshires in western Mass, and there is snow in the forecast for the next couple of days. Wet snow + leaves on the trees= power outage.
    Please visit my etsy shop and support avian rescue and sanctuary efforts:
    http://www.BagsofAFeather.etsy.com

No snow here, but we've got a nor'easter today with highs in the 40s for the next few days.

I'm trying to figure out how to convince myself that I really do want to go to the gym tonight -- it's a 15 minute walk each way. No fun in a cold rain.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Bah, what's a few flurries in October?
    Time to pull on the merino stuff and feel cozy.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We had snow last week and I've already gotten 2 ski days in. Now I get to enjoy Indian summer.

Ack, sorry. I wrote before noticing that the subforum was USA, Northeast. Thought I was just in preview mode and hadn't posted, but bing, here it was. Just ignore me ;-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You will not be ignored!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

sun

Can i mention it's 28C here today and 34c tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Can i mention it's 28C here today and 34c tomorrow...
    Go ahead and gloat. It won't be long before you're complaining about the heat. Enjoy the summer, we will live vicariously through you.

Let's hope an early start to the cold means a super-early arrival of spring (January, perhaps?).
    Last edited by Selkie; 10-16-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

heat

Actually, i'm whinging about the heat today & it's not that hot! I went for a ride this afternoon & I remembered there's no shade really along any of the paths in Perth

I'll just send visions of warm sunshiny days to you

Woke up this AM to 2 inches of snow on the ground - I just place another order for MORE winter cycling clothes (since this is the first year I didn't hang up the bike on Labor Day - new bike - can't do that) - What ever happened to global warming??? We had a very early, very cold winter last year, no spring, a summer that practically never got over 80 and now another early winter - NO - It can't be true!!!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Snow is forecast for Virginia tonight...and I bet in Zen's neck of the woods, too. Not down here where I live, mind you, but further up and out. Pretty rare down in these parts this time of year.