Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New Here

New Here

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to this whole forum thing and I guess the proper way to proceed is with a formal introduction - so here goes....
    About me: I'm a 39 year old Mom of 2 (ages 2 1/2 and 5) from PA

How I got here: I was surfing the web for ideas on bike shorts and ended up here (thanks to all those who commented on your Sheebeest SSS shorts - I love them and even purchased 2 pair of the pedal pushers also) I've never been on forums before so spent the past few months just reading and enjoying other's posts. It has been very informative as well as entertaining - and I realize I'm not an idiot for having a notorious "0 MPH fall" with my new clipless pedals.

My ride: a 2009 Orbea Onix Dama

How I got into biking: My husband and I have been occassional weekend warriors for the past several years - me on my 17 year old mountain bike and him on his hybrid. This summer, because of unseasonably cool temps (ie NO 90s) combined with the fact that since our children arrived he has been gaining weight and I have failed to lose the last 10-lbs of "baby weight" - we began our quest to ride more regularly (5 X per week). We have succeeded in our wt loss quest (he has lost 2 pant sizes and 25-lbs) I have succeeded in losing my baby weight but somehow only lost a bra size and not a pant size (life is not fair) - but feel a whole lot better anyway. We are now very addicted and last month purchased road bikes and are planning on riding until the snow flies. We got a spin bike for those dreadful months to get us through until the roads clear up again.

I hope that wasn't too long winded - as I mentioned before - I'm new to this whole forum thing.

Hi, I'm new, too.

I found a great thread full of introductions. It was so much fun to see what bikes everyone rides. Here's a link:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2001

Welcome and I hope to "see" you around.

Best regards.
    Darilyn
    Trying to become one with my Sirrus.

Welcome aboard, and congrats on getting back in shape. Wonderful that you guys are doing this together. Nice choice of bike, BTW. Pics?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by drdwin View Post
    I hope that wasn't too long winded - as I mentioned before - I'm new to this whole forum thing.
    Hah, no worries on that front, compared to many of us you're a model of brevity!

Welcome to both of ya's.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Welcome! And congrats on managing to drop some weight. I have just became very good at being chubby & in shape.

While my scale is telling me "yeh - pre-pregnancy weight" - my waistline is telling me "ah - not so much" - my quest at this point is to make an effort to keep my core tight while I'm riding (I have to say the guys at my LBS spent some time instructing me on proper riding position) - but after years of riding the not so correct way - it's taking some time. I'm also doing some other core work and yoga a few times a week - I haven't given away the skinny jeans yet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Welcome! And congrats on managing to drop some weight. I have just became very good at being chubby & in shape.
    Oh - I am *SO* with you there! (Besides, "rounded" is a shape isn't it? Pear-shaped is a shape?)

I refuse to put off doing anything that I enjoy until I am thinner! So I guess I'll be good at being chubby & in shape for some time to come.

Hi-
    I am new too. I'm 10 years your senior but I have two kids too. Boys, 16 & 18.
    My hubby has been a serious cyclist for years and I have been recreational for years. I lessened my riding at the time he was getting serious with his. (Baby years until last week)

I look forward to reading about your adventures and hopefully seeing pics of your ride!

violetpurl Guest

Venturing out of lurkdom...

Bought my first bike September 2 - a Cannondale Quick Feminine 4. I've logged more than 410 miles riding almost everyday around my subdivision. I LOVE riding!! While cruising Craigslist for a bike rack and trainer, I found someone selling a 2010 Felt road bike. I mentioned I was looking a buying it to one of the LBS guys (as I was buying a bike rack from him), who of 'course said - no, you shouldn't do that. My response was, I know 'cause you want to buy one from you. Never once did he ask, what price or try to offer something similar in the price range. Fast forward 1 week, at LBS to change out clipped pedals of new to me road bike - the owner asks what I paid. Then proceeded to tell me he could have gotten me better components for the same price range! I ended up buying Speedplay pedals and clips, buying a trainer (it's really been raining here alot & I wanted to practice with the clips/pedals ). He ended up putting me in Pearl Izuma Men's Attack road shoes in a size 39. I know nothing about bike shoes, but my toes REALLY feel cramped while I'm riding - kind of like they're pushed against the end of the shoes. What are my options? I'm guessing they are not going to exchange the shoes for a better fit after I've been practicing with them (inside, but there are marked on the soles from attempting to hit the pedals)? I've had to remove the insert and have replaced it with my half custom orthotics without the pad to even feel slightly comfortable. Or do the clips just need to be adjusted? I'm disappointed because I've spent big bucks at this store - found out he charged me $40 when I looked at my receipt (assuming it was for fitting - raising the seat on the new bike) - after I'd spent almost $500 on clips/pedals, shoes and a trainer!

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be a rant. I love this board!

welcome ladies!
    Violet; bummer about the shoes, fact of the matter is people who know nothing about shoe fit are selling shoes!

(you might sell them here or on ebay)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Sell them on ebay. I have sold a ton of bike stuff and have done very well.
    Painful feet can really ruin your day. Cut your loses and get shoes that fit.

I have big feet (10.5) and had to try on Shimano men's shoes to check the fit. They felt a bit tighter than I wanted but the charts said I needed a 43 so I had them order the women's version in 43 anyway. Call it vanity. I was nervous that they would be even tighter but they were looser! I love them.

I live in a house of men so my only outlet for feminine and pink is me. I always opt for the girlie version for personal items. If it is available in pink, that is always my choice. I get more compliments on my pink MacBook case.

Hopefully I will be blessed with grand-daughters someday!