Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any thoughts on trek wsd fx 7.5?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am EXTREMELY new to cycling. I'm getting ready to move and have the opportunity to do some longer rides at my new place. Did 10 miles on my 15-20 year old Giant Iguana and loved it. Riding almost everyday.

I went to the local bike store to take a look and figure out what size I need. I'm 5-8 to 5-9 and they fitted me on a 17 inch frame. I tend to have long legs, always have to buy my pants in long. Does this sound like the right size bike?

I"m goign to be mostly on asphalt, but there is a lot of gravel/pot-holes etc, so I was looking at some sort of hybrid. The trek 7.5 looks good, but honestly looking at the 7.3, 7.5, 7.6 I don't know enough to know what the difference is.

Another friend recommended the Surly Long Haul Trucker?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

What is the intended use of this bike?
    Everyday commuting,weekend road riding, bike path?
    I have a 7.3 and a 7.6. They're both FX's but they're each used for entirely different riding.

Size is subjective to the riders preference and frame geometry.
    Last edited by Zen; 10-17-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'll be doing weekend and evening road riding mostly. 10-30 miles at a time on the road and the bike path next to the road. Mostly flat riding. I'm slowly getting into shape and plan to do longer rides in the future.

The 7.5 would be a fine choice if that's the way you're leaning.
    I rented one in NYC and rode cross-town. it performed well and was comfy.

I had a 7.2fx, and it was a great starter bike. I decided I wanted a road bike after that, sold the fx and regretted it. I now have a 7.3fx that's my commuter, Katy Trail bike etc. It's more of a road bike kind of hybrid and if you decide you want a road bike with drop bars, the fx will still be good for other things. As for the difference in the 7.3fx and 7.5fx, I say go with Zen's advice.

They also hold their value well. I see them all the time on craigslist and ebay and they seem to go at a pretty good price, and the one I sold went fast!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I'm a new rider, and my bike is a 7.5 fx wsd. At a hair under 5'5", I went with the 19" and have been very, very comfortable, but I have along torso and I like to go fast. I looked at some of the more cruiser/commuter geometries, and briefly had a 2nd hand 14.5" 7100 wsd, and this was a better fit for me.

NB, the 19" wsd and the 17.5" men's frames for the 7.5 have very, very similar measurements. I rode both and it was a close decision. The geometry charts are available on Trek's site or at your LBS.

Also, the other bike I really liked was a 1.5 wsd - a road bike. If you prefer a hybrid with more mountain or cruiser geometry, the 7.5 might not be the right bike.

I went with the 7.5 instead of the 7.3 on the hypothesis that it will take me longer to developmentally "outgrow" the 7.5. No idea how accurate that is, but it's what I tell myself. I did/do prefer the 7.5's carbon fork (vs the 7.3) on bumpy roads.

Oh - and the satin carmine is much less pink-toned in person. I was relieved.

17.5 vs 19 wsd

Oh wow, I never would have thought to compare the size differences between the men's and women's designs. I realized the WSD bikes only came in 15/17/19 as opposed to half sizes, but will have to check the wsd 19 out.

Other than have me stand over the bike and ask how much space over the bar I had, the fitter didn't do any measuring which made me pretty skeptical. I'm going to head to two other bike shops today and see what they say to compare sizing.

Thanks!

The advice to shop for the LBS first, and then the bike, served me so well! (Thanks, TE!) There's a wide range of service quality out there. My salesguy rode alongside me on my many test rides, told me what to look/feel for, built other bikes just for me to test, and treated all of my newbie questions with respect. They also are very woman-positive/woman-friendly.
    Last edited by Ange; 10-18-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyRidge View Post
    Oh wow, I never would have thought to compare the size differences between the men's and women's designs. I realized the WSD bikes only came in 15/17/19 as opposed to half sizes, but will have to check the wsd 19 out.

Other than have me stand over the bike and ask how much space over the bar I had, the fitter didn't do any measuring which made me pretty skeptical. I'm going to head to two other bike shops today and see what they say to compare sizing.

Thanks!
    Oh yeah, look at the geometry. When I was shopping for my 7.2fx, the wsd and men's had the same geometry. IT started changing slightly as you went up the fx scale, 7.3,7.5, etc. I printed it out and took it into my lbs and they were surprised. I thought maybe it was a mistake...I liked the mocha better than the blue, so I got the men's. I'm 5'4 and the 17 inch fits me best.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

it was true!

Went to another LBS shop today. Two guys working, one thought I looked more like a WSD 19 and went to get the other guy who had actually been to the trek fitting school. They let me test ride a 7.5 and a 7.6, made seat adjustments, went through the bike with me. And they have a year of free service. Same chain, but totally different service!

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    My salesguy rode alongside me on my many test rides, told me what to look/feel for, built other bikes just for me to test, and treated all of my newbie questions with respect.
    That sounds like a great shop!
    Who is it?

It's Bikesport (bikesport.com) in Houston, Texas. Can't say enough good things about them!

I
    I went to the local bike store to take a look and figure out what size I need. I'm 5-8 to 5-9 and they fitted me on a 17 inch frame. I tend to have long legs, always have to buy my pants in long. Does this sound like the right size bike?
    I'm 5' 6" with porportionately shorter legs and test rode a 7.2 FX recently. I found the 17.5 (men's) frame comfortable. It sounds like the 19 inch would be a better fit for your height. Some bike shops will put you on just about anything they have in the store and leave it to you to figure out whether it 'fits' or not. I had one shop tell me last year that 48 cm road bike was the 'right' size for me. It felt cramped and I walked away-after he also tried to have me climb on another bike that was obviously too large. I later bought the same model road bike in a 54 cm and it's perfect.

A good shop will be attentive to you and take good care of you throughout the process, whether you are buying a $300 bike or one costing thousands.

I am 5'6" or so (31" inseam, relatively short torso) and I am on the men's 17.5" frame... so I would think the women's 17 is absolutely too small for you, especially if you have longer legs!

I would have to say though, even though I don't particularly dislike my 7.2fx now that I have made some changes to it, I wish I'd just bought a road bike when I was shopping, even though I didn't have any clue what I was really looking for then... because I absolutely want one now In the price range I am assuming you are looking at, you can get a fairly decent beginner roadie... if you intend to do road riding, or paved bike path riding, you'd probably be happier with that long-term.

The 7.5 is vastly different from the 7.2.