Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Winter biking, especially ice

I hate to give up on my bike for the winter, but ice makes me nervous. Any tips?

Deb

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    What's the largest tire you can run? There are 4" ice/snow tires available with studs which can give you optimum traction. If you can't run these size tires, snag a Pugsley from eBay.

Smaller sizes are available of course but where's the fun in that?

www.icebike.org

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Nokian makes very good carbide studded tires in a variety of sizes, making winter riding not only possible but a lot of fun, too. They don't do anything for snow, but are great on ice.

[QUOTE snag a Pugsley from eBay.

Smaller sizes are available of course but where's the fun in that?

www.icebike.org[/QUOTE]

I googled a Pugsley. A bike Humvee, without the bad gas mileage! What fun!

My Dew Deluxe has 700 x 37c tires. I have to confess, I'm a newbie and this doesn't mean much to me. They're pretty good multi-purpose tires. I'll have to look into studded tires.

Deb

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Studded tires are expensive, but if I lived in South Dakota I wouldn't think twice about buying them if I were (was? SadieKate, help me out here please) planning on riding in the winter.

I used them a handful of times when I lived in DC. When it snows and ices there, the Metros break down and the traffic comes to even more of a standstill, but we still have to get to work. The bike paths are not plowed or treated and turn into ice sheets. So I got studded tires and got to work before everyone else.

The ones that would fit my purposes (not aggressive single-track riding, just mainly plowed roads and icy/snowy MUPs) aren't as expensive as I feared. Maybe I can budget them in the next couple of paychecks. They certainly would be worth it, and the Dew seems well able to accept them, from what I have read.

Deb

studded tires gave me confidence on ice last year. I still managed to put my bike down in a comical slow-mo fall last season, but for the most part, I did well on snow and ice all season.