Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bontrager Inform WSD

To disable ads, please log-in.

What's the latest on this saddle? I know Bontrager has had a bad rep in the past. Is this saddle better - anyone loving it?

also, must one use their fitting system or is their a correlation to already knowing your sitbone measurements?

Mine are about 117mm center to center. Would the 140mm be a good fit? Photos make it look like it has very little 'slope' off the sides in the back.

I'm curious about this one :)

thanks!
    namaste,
    vness
    those who hear not the music... think the dancers mad
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~lilith/

I tried one. Loved the "dent" for soft tissue relief. Loved the stiff shell. Hated all the padding.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

I seriously looked into one...did the Bontrager butt "fitting" and all...was told I would need the 150mm saddle. Took one look at it and all that padding, and immediately crossed it off my list. I also didn't like the baby blue accents on it, as my bike is mostly red/black and a saddle with blue in it would look terrible on my bike. I even considered the men's version, since it was black/red/silver...but the men's version does NOT have the "indentation" to relieve soft-tissue pressure, which is something I need. So...no Bontrager Inform saddle for me.

FWIW...I ended up with a Specialized Phenom 143mm...which is actually a men's MTB saddle with a cut-out...go figure! But it seems to be working fairly well for me. I need a few hundred more miles on it though, to really make a final decision on it.

I tried one last year. Liked the nose very much. Returned it because it was too pear-shaped. If it was t-shaped I probably would have kept it.

Which model InForm saddle did you try? The R (about $70) has more and softer foam than the RL (about $100).

The Bontrager web site for the RL:
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/07137
    where it says:
    "covered with Bontrager's Zone Density foam", which has firmer foam in the back half and softer in the front.

And for the R:
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/07138
    where it says:
    "20% more foam has been added for riders who prefer a plusher ride with a little more cushion."

Just wondering if you might have tried the R whether the RL might be better.

DH rides the men's RL on the tandem. The men's has a softer foam insert insead of the cutout. The RL is definitely harder. I would rate it's hardness similar to the Specialized Alias/Jett (women's). Of course there are harder saddles out there but if you like a bit of give with firmness it might work for you.

I tried the RL, found it just ok for shorter (30 miles or less) rides but longer, I really need a cut-out not an indent. So I put the RL on one of my non numero uno bikes and stuck with the Jett for Bike No. 1.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?
    I tried this saddle and hated it, managed about 10 kms before I had to get off and go home...

Too hard, too wide and not enough dent for me !
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

I recently purchased the WSD RL saddle and love it. All my saddle issues have disappeared. Be sure you are fitted for it and remember you have a 90 day trial so if you don't like it you can return it.
    Marcie

I tried out the Bontrager RL, and I really liked the saddle for shorter distances; it was great for rolling my hips out and I could get a great, comfortable tuck and reach. I think I could have loved this saddle, but I wasn't able to tweak it right for longer distance riding; Trek states in the literature that you might have to move the saddle back by a centimeter to account for the different positioning, and I didn't have time to "search" all that space on long distance rides. The shop is *supposed* to help you set up and tweak the saddle, but the place I bought it from here was useless - I brought it back in after 2 months and pointed out the information, but they said they couldn't help at all, and didn't touch the saddle. If I weren't so lazy, I would complain to Trek about the lack of service... they likely lost out on a sale from me. (Also, I thought the saddle size was too broad for me; but the next size down is likely too narrow. But. I still wanted to try exchanging it for the other size, but the shop didn't really want to do that because the sitboard didn't suggest that size, and I was giving up at that point anyway.)

I am riding a Specialized Ruby saddle now, it has a good fit for my sitbone width since the sizing intervals are different (a 143 instead of a 155 mm) and works well up until about 50 miles (I also need a seatpost with more adjustment, I have a choice of a tad up or too far down with this saddle at the moment) - soft tissue at that point, my seatbones seem to hold up pretty well. I can't get the extreme roll-forward that I really liked in the Bontrager RL, though. I would be willing to try this saddle again with a more experienced store that would help with the correct seat setback.

I really like T-shaped saddles, since it is easier to stand and guide them... I didn't have an issue with the shape of the Bontrager RL. There was maybe a slight bit of chafing, but that is likely because the saddle was too wide for me.

Here another one that has tried the bontrager rl wsd.

My previous saddles where a SAA and brooks team pro (the last one was a nightmare) and after a test ride of 90 miles with the inform i can't say it's too soft or too hard.

With your thumbs it is possible to press in the foam however when your on the bike you certainly don't 'disappear' in the saddle due to the fact that your bum is a much greater area than your thumbs.

The dent is wonderful so is the softer nose when you're riding more forward and getting a high leg speed (at least that is what i do).

I now have a specialized jett to try and this saddle is firmer on the foam so i'm real curious how this one will go.

My guess is that this one will go better as coming from a rock hard saddle like leather (team pro), but than again within 48 h i'll know.

I'll post my experiences here for as saddles are a very important issue for everyone and i have benefitted a lot from reading the experiences from others.

Quote Originally Posted by g19 View Post
    Here another one that has tried the bontrager rl wsd.

My previous saddles where a SAA and brooks team pro (the last one was a nightmare) and after a test ride of 90 miles with the inform i can't say it's too soft or too hard.

With your thumbs it is possible to press in the foam however when your on the bike you certainly don't 'disappear' in the saddle due to the fact that your bum is a much greater area than your thumbs.

The dent is wonderful so is the softer nose when you're riding more forward and getting a high leg speed (at least that is what i do).

I now have a specialized jett to try and this saddle is firmer on the foam so i'm real curious how this one will go.

My guess is that this one will go better as coming from a rock hard saddle like leather (team pro), but than again within 48 h i'll know.

I'll post my experiences here for as saddles are a very important issue for everyone and i have benefitted a lot from reading the experiences from others.
    Would be very interested in hearing how the Jett works out for you. I am currently riding on a ProLogo Kappa Dea (stock saddle that came on my new Cannondale Synapse Carbon Fem 3). I did my first full ride on the bike today...logging 93 miles, and I have to say that I'm not "in love" with this saddle. So I may be looking for alternative options very soon. The saddle is white, however...and I sort of want to stay with that since my bike is primarily white. I know the Jett comes in white, so that is likely the saddle that I would try next.

@nscrbug,

Ok here comes.

My experiences with the jett are not good and here's why.

Firstly i found that the cutout sides presses too much in my upperlegs which is not nice.
    Maybe it's partly getting used to and/or toughen up, but i didn't like it.

Secondly during the ride (100 miles) i could feel my right side (inner/upper leg and seatbone) and nothing on the left.
    Funny enough when returning home i discovered that my left side had skin damaged due to chaving ... and the right side was ok ...

Thirdly the cutout works, but there is a price to pay (see firstly).

Fourthly although the saddle has foam and no gel this is no indication that it is soft as i would rather describe it as firm at least.

Overall i'm not happy with it and this week i'm able to loan the SSM rolls saddle from a friend just to try and see what this will bring.

I personally can conclude a few things from my saddle testing.
    Cutouts are not ideal for me (edges) just like grooves with sharp edges pressing in my upper legs and foam is probably not the thing my butt likes.

As for now i'm looking at the Selle Italia Prolink http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html
    due to its small groove which will help for the girlie bits and it seem not to have the sharp edges which hopefully will give a more comfy ride and it also has gel and no foam.
    The fizik Vitesse CP is also on my list due to it's design (similar as the SA Prolink)
    http://www.fizik.com/product.aspx?c=Vitesse-CP

Time wil tell which is the best i'll keep you posted.

g19...thanks for the Jett review. I'm still undecided on my stock ProLogo Kappa Dea saddle. I have a gut feeling that it is just too narrow for me. The measurements that I have found online for it, indicate that it is 138mm wide, and my Selle Italia SLK Lady Gel Flow that I had been riding on is 145mm. That's a fairly big difference in width, and I'm pretty sure that this is the cause of my discomfort on my new bike. I didn't really want to resort to putting a black saddle on my new white Synapse, but if it means less pain...then by all means, I'll put my SI SLK on it....until I can find a suitable white saddle. But I may still test out the Jett, just to see if I can rule it out completely.

@nscrbug,

Yes, by all means do test saddles when you have the option to do so. The great thing about it is that it gives a kind of experience in what saddle does what and what doesn't. One can compare and slowly make a list from what is not working and what is working out ok even when ok means relatively (depending on ride distance etc).

Remember that my experience is just my experience.

The great thing about this forum is that for example saddle issues that all of the things one read here is based on womans ride experiences and this leaves no doubt about it when compared to a review/ride experience when the opposite sex does.

Keep it up girls as many female cyclist appreciate this forum from outside the us.