Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I switched out the stock men's Bontrager saddle on my Trek for the Inform in Sept '09, and loved it for the first 500 miles. Then the center edges started breaking down and caused serious rubbing in the 'leg pit" area. Bottom line is it is too soft. The last 20 miles of a metric century were agony! In a pinch I switched it out with my hubby's Terry Fly (I've used the Butterfly in the past and have liked it). It's not a perfect fit but definitely an improvement. Any other saddle suggestions?

Yes definitely.

This one

Have done a 60 mile ride and no numbness on the girlie-bits whatsoever.

Due to the fact that there is no support in front than there is lots of support on the sit bones and the muscles around it that one will feel they are there ....

It is a matter of time before it will reduce and probably to acceptable standards.

So far this is the best saddle as my girlie-bits where the biggest problem for me and this has been solved.

More miles will be added and i'll keep you informed how things go.

I'm currently testing the Bontrager Evoke RL WSD.

http://bontrager.com/model/08749

Its size and shape are very similar to my old perfectly-fitting saddle, a Wylder Juliana that is starting to tear at the edges after many happy miles of riding. So I am hopeful that this new Bontrager will work for me. I rode it for an hour and 45 minutes last night on a very hilly ride, so I was shifting around quite a bit as I rode. It wasn't perfect, I think because it has less padding than my old saddle and the contours are different in terms of indentations for soft tissue. But I'm not at all sore this morning. In contrast, when I tried the Inform RL a couple of years ago, I was in major pain the next day.

The Evoke I'm trying is the widest WSD available, which is 155 mm according to the Bontrager specs. Interestingly, when I sat on the butt-o-meter at the LBS, they said I should use a 140 mm saddle. This makes no sense, since my old saddle is 155 mm wide and it's perfect for me. I tried measuring my sit bones on my own and I'm not sure I got a good measurement, but it seems to have come out around 135 mm from outside to outside. The LBS guy who did the measurement for me said that Bontrager's device measures the width from center to center, but when I asked if the 140 mm measurement he gave me was the actual sit bone measurement or if the device takes the measurement and adds a couple centimeters when determining the recommended saddle width, he didn't seem to understand my question. (This wasn't the guy I usually work with for fit issues.) I didn't have my bike with me at the time, so I went back a couple days later with the bike so I could actually compare saddles in the store to the one on my bike. I talked to a different guy that day, and he got me an Evoke to look at, and since it's so similar to my old saddle and there's a 30-day guarantee I decided to give it a try.

I will post my decision after additional testing. I'm planning a very hilly 40-mile ride this weekend, and at my pace that will probably last 4 hours.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The testing continues. The Evoke was no good for my road bike. However I will put it on my mountain bike, which is what it was designed for, and I think it will be okay with the more upright riding position. The 30 day guarantee period is over so I can't return it.

Meanwhile today I tried the Bontrager Affinity RL, which is a road saddle intended for a less aggressive riding position than the original Inform saddle. I tried the 144 mm because it was all they had in stock, but I think it was too narrow. I think also that I need more padding. So I might try the 154 mm R model instead.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll try next...so, fingers crossed...

Gone but not forgotten:

Thanks for the update NY! I've been looking at these saddles too. As you can see from my sig I also have experience with the inForms and I'm hopeful about the Evoke and Affinity saddles. It seems they get softer with less expensive versions and firmer with more expensive versions; is your understanding too? Also what didn't work with you on the Evoke?

Too bad the shop guy didn't understand your sitbone v saddle width question. You could always go back, re-impress the a$$ometer and measure your sit bone impressions directly. I got the idea that the mm number was a recommended saddle width, not a sit bone measurement. But there are the impressions right there, can't be too hard to measure (even measure a couple times if you like!)

Here's hoping you find a great replacement saddle, and that I can learn from your experiences too.

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

From what I've read on the Bontrager site, it does look like the more expensive saddles have less padding.

The Evoke feels like there's too much pressure between my legs, like there's not enough weight on the sitbones. I think this is due to the topography of the saddle. When I sit upright on the road bike, it feels better, so I'm hoping it will be okay for the mountain bike. I had to keep it longer than the 30-day warranty period because I had to have something for the Livestrong ride in late August and the Evoke was bearable enough to get me through that.

I went to the LBS yesterday to return the Affinity RL 144. I told them where it hurt, and they recommended I try the 154 mm which is backordered for a couple of weeks. So in the meantime I'm the Evoke is back on the road bike -- it's less uncomfortable than the Affinity was.

However they also told me that what I really need is a new, better fitting bike, because the position of my handlebars relative to my seat is causing me to lean forward and down too much, and we've already done all we can with changing stems. I realize they might just be trying to sell me a new bike, but they seem to know enough about proper bike fit that I suspect there is something to what they are telling me.

Gone but not forgotten:

Well, after 6 years of cycling, I finally found my 'love' saddle! I was fitted to my tri bike with the Inform RL WSD 140mm and it was surprizingly comfortable. It's the first non-cutout saddle that I've ever been able to ride. I was sure it wouldn't work in aero, but it totally does!

Then I realized that I also liked it when sitting up on the horns, so I thought I'd try it on my road bike.

I bought a second one (last years model is on sale on Bontrager's web site for $69.99) and tried it this past weekend on my rain bike. 30 miles, mixed terrain and while my sit bones need some conditioning because of the time of year, there was NO soft tissue pain at all. I've never ridden with no soft tissue pain at all. Usually I am at least a little tender...even for shorter rides. I'm in awe. Pure awe.

I'm about to buy a third one of these babies to put on my go fast road bike (same geometry and fit as my rain bike)! I can't believe it took me 6 years to find a saddle that allows me to have sex the day after a long ride AND that said saddle would be a Bontrager. Will wonders never cease??
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Thats super cool, I had looked at those as well, how did your measurement square up with sizing? If I measure 150 should I try 150 or go up one to 160? I am still looking for nirvana but getting closer!
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Thats super cool, I had looked at those as well, how did your measurement square up with sizing? If I measure 150 should I try 150 or go up one to 160? I am still looking for nirvana but getting closer!
    Well, I didn't use Bontrager's method for measurements, if that's what you mean. When I measured my own sit bones ages ago, I got a 138mm (ish)...so I know mine are pretty narrow. That shocked me too...as a pear-shaped woman, but it's amazing what one learns when one becomes a cyclist! I was surprized that my fitter handed me the narrowest one of the group to try, but perhaps he could make an educated guess from my other body measurements? Anyway, it fit immediately, so I didn't need to try larger. When I looked at the width later on, it made sense based on my personal measurements.

I would think that if you measure 150, I'd stick with 150, but I'm not really an expert or anything.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have a bontrager inForm RL WSD and i LOVE IT. My sitbones are 133 from center to center and i use the 150 size. It is so perfect. I can ride forever without even noticing I have a seat under me. I love that saddle.
    Last edited by trista; 01-31-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Anybody have any new comments on the Inform RL WSD? I'm considering one.

I went through the whole saddle-search thing a few years ago, after many years of suffering. Terry (3 models) WTB (several test saddles) Fizik Vitesse HP. Then I got a new road bike that came with an Arione, which is a men's. I never expected to keep it, but gave it a shot, and it was the best of the bunch. Haven't moved it in almost 4 years, but now I'm getting saddle sores. Got them once last year, and have now been battling them for 3 weeks. Thought I'd upped my mileage too fast, or my shorts were getting old. Sat on the Butt-o-Meter today, and the LBS owner is positive that the Arione (132 mm) is way too narrow. The Butt-o-Meter indicates the middle-width Inform or Affinity (so 150 or 144, accordingly). That would explain Sunday's bruising after my 100-miler, as well as the 2 angry bumps.

Anyway, after reading up today about the Inform, and comparing their explanation of it with the issues I've had (always feel like my weight is on soft tissue, rather that sit bones), I might have to give it a shot. I don't want too much padding, but the dip in front might be good. Never could get used to the Terry cut-outs. The Inform R sounds too padded (I like the minimal Arione), so I'd probably go with the RL. Looked at the Affinity RXL & RL, but it sounds like it's for more of an upright position. I'm actually always more upright than I'd like, because of rolling more onto soft tissue if I try to get lower. Maybe the Inform would allow me to get into a better position? Like GLC1968 said, I ALWAYS have soft tissue pain after riding (and during).

Looks like they've cut the trial period down to 30 days.

Any new input would be appreciated!
    The Warrior Princess: 2008 Jamis Xenith Pro / Bontrager Affinity 1 (men's)
    2006 Trek Fuel EX 9 / Bontrager Race Luxe
    2007 Trek 520 / Serfas Terazzo
    Amelia Pond (She travels long distances, has great adventures, and she's a redhead): 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 / Bontrager Affinity 2 (men's)

From dealing with injured cyclists, I'd say give the wider saddle a try.

Not only do I work with bike fits, I also work with pelvic pain/incontinence/sexual dysfunction patients. I see the worst of the worst, so my view is biased. I'd go wide, unpadded, and sprung at every opportunity.

-Knot, who is EXTREMELY biased toward the Brooks B67. (not the B67-Short)

BTW my sitbone measurement is 180-190 mm. I know the misery of narrow saddles...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-05-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks, Knot!

Can anyone tell me what the nose width is on the Inform RL WSD? One of my problems is the need for a narrow nose (like the Arione), because of chafing. I've kind of forgotten a lot of the problems I had pre-Arione, since the big search was 4+ years ago, but that was a big one. Darn these thighs, anyway. Okay, darn my love of food, then.
    Amelia Pond (She travels long distances, has great adventures, and she's a redhead): 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 / Bontrager Affinity 2 (men's)

Talking 2009 Inform RL on clearance!

I was hunting around for information / reviews, etc, and found it on sale on the Trek Online site (not on sale on the Bontrager site). Anyway, they appear to be closing out the RL models in both the men's & women's versions - listed for $69.99 instead of $109.99, for the 2009 model only. So I called my LBS, and am getting it for $49! Or maybe it's $49.99 - poTAYto, poTAHto! My LBS always passes along the savings on clearance stuff (bikes included). I really wanted the newest model, because I'm afraid of what terrible problem may have been fixed after the first version, but who can justify passing up that kind of savings?

DH has been dissatisfied with his saddle, too, so we ordered him one as well. Two-fers!

I'm awaiting this with much excitement. And terror.

Yeah, I haven't seen any Informs at the LBS in a long time. I'm wondering if they are coming out with something new to replace it as their "race" saddle. I will try to ask when I'm there tomorrow replacing the headlight that flew off my handlebar and was crushed by a taxicab the other night.

I hope it works for you!!

Gone but not forgotten: