Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

saddle sores from chami stitching

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm getting really bad sores on my backside (not nether regions) from where my chami is stitched into my shorts, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for preventative measures.

I use Chamois Butt'r and will try Bag Balm next.

I don't think there is a problem with the saddle or bike fit (this hasn't changed and I didn't have problems before). I think my skin has got softer/more susceptible or my sweat has got more salty.

I'm wondering if anyone tried to modify their shorts (putting super soft material over the stitching), wearing seamfree supersoft underwear, or taping their backside in problem areas?

Get rid of the shorts and never buy a pair with the same chamois again - seriously. I had a pair that did that. The seam was like a little saw and would leave a crescent shaped cut on my unhappy booty. None of my other shorts do this, nor should they. Don't try to make them better, cream on the seam doesn't help, thinking you'll just save them for short rides is wishful thinking... just throw them away. If they are new and the place you bought them from has a satisfaction guarantee return them.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Is the stitching between your skin and the saddle, or is it higher up, off the saddle?

If you're sitting on it, it might help to get shorts with a larger, 1-piece chamois so that you're not sitting on any stitching. That's what I did when I had similar problems.

The stitching is not between my skin and saddle. Where it rubs is very close to my bottom creases and I feel like it is from the stitches moving across my skin as I extend my leg downwards.

It's happened with Pearl Izumi, Voler, Suarez, and Louis Garneau shorts. The only brand that hasn't been problematic so far is Giordiana but I haven't tried to race in these ones and it tends to be triggered from racing i.e., more intense cycling for 50+ miles.

If the shorts feel ok everywhere else, you could try removing the offending part of the stitching.

If you go to a fabric store and get a seam ripper and some Fray Check you can pick out the bad stitches and then dot the ends of the remaining seam so the rest of it stays put.

feltsl3, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've had the exact same issue lately with my PI shorts.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I have 3 different brands of shorts and after a 30 mile ride I would have a skin burn, right where the chamois meets the lycra. I bought a tube of Vaseline petroleum jelly and I squirt it right on the edge of the chamois before I ride and I haven't had any more issues.

I get this problem with pretty much every short, to some degree (I think I just have a weird butt, really). What I have found works is using either Brave Soldier Friction Zone or Sport Shield roll-on on the areas of my butt that get rubbed. These products have silicone-based lubricant and are super slippery.

I use regular chamois creams on the rest of my chamois. They don't seem to help much with the seam rubbing.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Don't wear those shorts ever again. And when you go shopping for new shorts, check that those don't have the same irritating seams. I have a pair of Zoot tri shorts that have seams up the back of the thighs and they gave me nasty saddle sores behind my thighs. Now they're only used for running and I refuse to buy any cycling shorts that have a seam there. No amount of lubrication is going to save you from bad seams.
    Last edited by alexis_the_tiny; 07-29-2010 at 07:43 PM.

just about every pair of my shorts, and I've got at least six different brands, has irritated me at the edge of the chamois. On last year's AIDS ride I developed horrible blisters.
    Today I rode with a pair of chamois-less shorts -- a pair of sugoi compression shorts with no padding and the skin seems pretty good in that area-- a little red, but no pain.
    The ride was only 20 miles and I'm not sure I'd do well on a longer ride, but I'm really not sure what to do.

I always ride in shorts without chamois. There are a few other TE'ers who do the same.

If it works for you, go for it.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

How far do you usually ride? Is it something you had to get used to? 20 miles worked okay but I usually ride much further and am wondering how I'll do. Also, what saddle do you use?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolp View Post
    How far do you usually ride? Is it something you had to get used to? 20 miles worked okay but I usually ride much further and am wondering how I'll do. Also, what saddle do you use?
    thanks
    1. Everything from short (4 miles) to medium (40-50 miles). I haven't done any long rides (80 miles) in a few years.

2. I did not have to get used to it. Ditching the chamois was such an incredible relief!

3. I ride an unpadded Brooks B68 with springs most of the time. I do have one bike with a Brooks B67 (no springs) but I ususally go no farther than about 20 miles on that.

The only way you'll know how you will do is if you try it.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I get those crescent shaped chafe spots from my pearl izumis, but I took to putting sport glide on there and it doesn't bother me anymore. the sport glide does sting a little when it first goes on, but it doesn't migrate like chamois buttr.

Not all who wander are lost