Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Morton's Foot?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Jasmine...

Listen, Knot knows what she's talking about. The rest of us are just muddling our way through, trying self-help solutions because we don't have access to a competent professional.

So if you don't have anything else keeping you from good posture other than your 1st MT being shorter than the second one, I'd recommend taking her advice.

If you have something else structural keeping you from good posture - as Zia does, and I still need to find someone to actually look at my feet - then pad away and/or try to find a professional who can help you. If not, then I'd really urge you to take Knot's advice.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

yah thanks Oakleaf and thanks Knot I am determined to do all of Knot's foot exercises and recommendations re padding---i have gone to so many "professionals" who look at my feet and gasp and push surgery---so far this thread is the most helpful thing I have come across ever
    when you come to the fork in the road, take it.
    yogi berra

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine View Post
    I still can't figure out where exactly to put the padding--and I can't figure out how to figure it out?? What exactly am I going for ( ob-vee pain reduction!!) in terms of sensation? My first met head is way out of whack so padding under that?
    Follow this link: http://www.triggerpointbook.com/mortons.htm and look at Figure 3. I bought new insoles today, and have it perfect on one foot, still tweaking the other. The perfect foot leaves me with a slight sensation of padding directly beneath the first metatarsal, with the weight of that area being transferred directly onto the pad. My "off" one feels too far to the side, like my foot is sliding off, a little.

Remember the pads should go under the insoles. I'm also experimenting with thickness. I'm at 1/8" right now. That feels about right. Another knee pain free five miles today -- absolutely a miracle, considering I literally had to crawl up the stairs after running a 10K this summer!

Good luck, and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine View Post
    i have gone to so many "professionals" who look at my feet and gasp and push surgery
    That's been my experience, too -- I've basically been told (by podiatrists) that custom orthotics can be used to correct some of my mechanics and to slow down the development of my bunions, but I will probably need surgery someday.

I had asked about exercises for my arches was told that other than orthotics, there wasn't anything else to be done. Don't get me wrong, the orthotics have been great, but it seems that maybe exercise and stretching has not been part of the training of the podiatrists that I've gone to in the past.

Maybe in the future I need to consult a doctor or other professional with a different set of training/broader range of skills in this area. I'm not at that point right now, but I think it goes to show that it's important to really research the professionals that you consult, which can be tough if you don't even really know what you're looking for.

comfy new shoes

Hey I just got a pair of Keen wool clogs--maybe they are called Hybrid's not sure--anyway they are far and above the most comfortable shoes I've worn for my poor achin feet in a long time! It's such a big deal for me to find shoes that feel good I thought I'd share
    when you come to the fork in the road, take it.
    yogi berra

ooo, cool! I've had good luck with Keens, but I didn't know they made wool clogs! Time to start writing out my Christmas wish list . . .

Wink

So I have an interesting post-script to this thread. During the course of this thread, my knee pain was nearly 100% eliminated by placing a small pad under my first metatarsal.

Well.

I have been upping my mileage to train for a half marathon, and was very worried after a 9-mile run. My right knee was in intense pain from 5 miles on, and I was concerned 13.1 just wasn't going to be possible.

Nonetheless, I scheduled a 12-miler with my running partner and crossed my fingers for the best. Right before the run, I decided to check the pads I'd put under my insoles, and -- lo and behold -- the right one was missing! I'd been fiddling with the shoes and forgotten that side. I put a new pad on, ran 12 -- at a brisk pace! -- and had no kneed pain at all, and felt great the next day! (Last August, pre-padding, my knees hurt so much I literally had to crawl up stairs after my first Olympic Tri.)

Maybe it was just my body adjusting, but, given my 20 years of fairly persistent knee pain, my bet's on the Morton's Foot diagnosis and subsequent insole changes.

Just thought I'd share.

... I'll update too in case anyone's missed my posts from the general running thread...

I'm experimenting with barefoot running, just a weetie little bit so far. Between Knott's exercises, the hip exercises my own PT has me doing, yoga, and the muscle strengthening I got from putting the pads in my walking-around shoes... I started to feel like I was ready to try it. So far, so good, but just a little so far. With the marathon looming, barefooting isn't my #1 focus right now, but I'll continue to build.

Still, it's pretty apparent that all the cr*p people have been putting in my shoes since I was six years old has only exacerbated my problems. It's impossible to tell at 44 years' remove, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was starting to wear shoes that caused my problems to begin with. It's going to take a lot of work to undo 44 years of imbalances, but little by little.

Zia, that's so great that you've had such positive results with that little pad!

Oakleaf, hope the marathon training continues to go well.

I've been struggling a bit. I was pretty religious about doing Knott's exercises for about a month, and then we got really busy moving out of temp housing and settling in to our new place. I usually do the exercises 3-4x a day, but rarely 6. Definitely have increased flexibility in my met arches, especially on the right (not surprising, I'm right-footed, so that foot seems to work a little better).

Other things I'm doing: I work on the trigger points in my shins and calves when I'm watching TV or reading in bed. I've also added in that exercise where you scrunch up a towel using your toes and then push it away, just the toes. I try to do that a couple of times a day. I'm looking to find a balance board/wobble board so that I can add some ankle strengthening/proprioception work.

The barefoot running thing is intriguing but I thought I'd try barefoot walking first, so I've ditched the Birkenstocks I usually wear inside and try to be conscious of my foot posture as I move around the house. I've reduced my use of Rx orthotics and so far no problems. I've been keeping my feet warm this winter wearing Ugg clogs or snowboots, and my orthotics don't fit into either, so it's been great to have that option!

OMG you guys! What perfect timing to bring this thread back up!

I consulted on a patient today who had a classic Morton's foot, with a profoundly dropped 2nd met head and the associated ills.

She had the intense orthotics and the intense shoes... but her over-all leg posture was excellent, especially barefoot.

She wasn't my patient, so I couldn't tell her "do the exact opposite of what you've been doing, and change it soon!" but I gave her a couple websites and strongly suggested she take a look at them.

I used to work closely with a podiatrist who was very anti-surgery. He inspired me and he taught me so much. Working with his patients was a joy, because he let me get creative with treatments and was always willing to teach me, to the point of letting me accompany patients to their appointments with him.

Feet are amazing and beautiful things, and given their 'druthers, they will work! Don't be afraid to try stuff. You'll know pretty quickly if it is going to help you or hinder you.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Glad this thread popped back up too Knot. I had thought to revive it myself because I had something to add.

I had been seeing a podiatrist since September for what he finally diagnosed as Morton's Foot. First he diagnosed a stress fracture (which I'm not sure now that I had), told me to stop running for 6 weeks and sold me a very expensive pair of orthontics. Then he told me he had never heard of Morton's Foot or Morton's Toe and told me I was confusing it with Morton's Neuroma, then a month later tells me I had Morton's Toe, gives me a cortisone shot, talks to me about surgery and tells me to stop running again. That was January and my last visit to him. I went to see a chiropractor instead who is amazing. The adjustments, therapy and pressure point massage have fixed the problem--without drugs or surgery! I'm training for a half marathon and up to running 5 miles and the foot is doing fine (it's everything else that hurts --Ha! Ha!)

Oh, and by the way, the chiropractor told me what my problem was the minute he saw my foot and then looked at the x-ray. He also gave me the same exercises to do that Knot had suggested. The podiatrist told me to never, ever walk barefoot and not to even put shoes on that didn't have the orthontics in them. Gee whiz!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

The other thing I've been doing, self-prescribed, is working to strengthen the muscles in the anterior lower leg. As my calves loosen up, it's become clear that my calves were doing all the work holding me upright in a slight forward lean, and that the dorsiflexor muscles are extremely weak. Right now I can work the muscles to fatigue without resistance, just sitting at the computer like right now.

Hello!

I just signed up to this forum just to post in this thread. I am hoping any of the people who started to wear some sort of correction are still subscribed to this thread . If so, please, please respond!

Anyone else with Morton's foot who is wearing or who has tried correction, I would really appreciate hearing from you too.

Did the correction work long term?
    Did you continue biking/running long term?

or anything else.

For me, I did a couple of "double centuries" from Ottawa to Kingston return about 20 years ago and never had a problem. I now do a spin class about once a week and no problem.

But I took up Ballet & Modern dance a couple of years ago and have discovered I have Morton's feet and have a big problem now!. Ballet & Modern dance would be considered like barefoot running because we are basically in bare feet. Except with ballet, the slippers have a pleat gathering on the bottom of the slipper which is about 1/8 inch thick so it is like dancing on a couple of quarters stacked right under the second metatartsal joint. Ouch! It doesn't hurt non-Mortoners because they don't step on the pleat but for people like me it's like stepping on a stone.

Now even walking barefoot hurts a bit- but I am hoping it is just temporarily swollen.

So I am very interested in any longer (or shorter) term stories. I have researched it all but have not come across and long term feedback. Do people have success with the corrections and then just stop talking about it or do they give up ?

I have been to 5 experts so far. 2 say orthotics and don't waste time on exercises. 2 say exercises & training the big toe and possibly orthotics.

thanx & I look forward to hearing from you!

I've been taking Knott's advice and so far it's working out great.

Foot exercises (also hip exercises) - yoga, plus some isolation exercises.

Ditched the custom orthotics (and all other medial arch support).

Metatarsal domes in my running shoes for the time being, but not in my other shoes. I foresee the day when I won't need those - I can walk and stand for hours in flat shoes now - but I can't run without them, yet. (Actually it's been months since I tried, but I'm not changing anything until after my second marathon, October 17.)

Shoes long enough for my toes (and also wide enough for my forefeet, but that's not necessarily related).

General postural work to correct the forward lean that resulted from the unstable base. (yoga again, especially the backbends, and just really being aware of my posture as often as I can).

None of this is an overnight miracle, but I expected it to take some time and work. Learning that my body can heal itself if I learn to stop hurting it ... priceless.

Thanx Oakleaf! I was hoping you were still around

I am also wearing metatarsal pads.

I really hesitate to build up the area under my big toe & big toe joint as the whole Morton's foot theory suggests. I don't know why those Morton's inserts aren't mainstream- why just sold on an internet site?. And theories are just that- theories.

Which is why I am hoping to hear from someone who has worn them long term.

Have you been successful in training yourself to step down and toe off on your big toe?

Is your first toe knuckle closer to your body than the second toe knuckle? You can see by putting your foot over a tennis ball to make the knuckles show.

Good luck with your Marathon!! I did a couple of 10k's in the past- that was enough for me!!
    Last edited by Morticia; 09-30-2010 at 11:16 AM.