Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Please don't feed me kidney pie, or put kidneys in the stew.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Reading this thread is mind blowing!

No kidding!

I have lots (and lots) of food do's and don'ts that I follow when I am free to make my own choices, but as a guest, I keep my mouth shut unless specifically asked.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Oh boy...I have a laundry list of "dislikes", but I'll try and keep it short & simple. My aversion to many of the foods on my list, stems from a "texture" thing. If I don't like the texture of it in my mouth, I simply won't eat it. Yeah, I'm a very picky eater. I blame my (morbidly obese) mom for a lot of it, as she wasn't a very good role model when it came to healthy eating habits. She NEVER ate veggies/fruits, so therefore never pushed me to eat them. I actually didn't taste my first banana until I was 25!!! I'm sure her horrid eating habits contributed to her early demise.

Absolutely will NOT touch:

Fish of ANY kind (can't stomach the smell of it)
    Alcohol of ANY kind (I gag from the smell of it)
    organ meats (nuff said)
    lamb/veal (don't like the smell of it)
    asparagus (slimey...ewwww!)
    peas (bad childhood experience!)
    citrus fruits (stringy texture)
    mushrooms (slimey and gross...yuck!)
    vinegar and vinegar-based sauces/dressings
    brussel sprouts (blech!)
    store-bought cream pies (ewwwww...yuck)
    Corned beef (shudder)
    sauerkraut (double shudder)
    hotdogs (mystery meat)

Will "politely" eat/try, but would rather not:

Anything with mayo or Miracle Whip
    honeydew or cantaloupe (not thrilled about the smooth texture)
    dishes prepared with LOTS of onions and/or tomatoes (I'll pick 'em out)
    deep-fried or overly greasy foods (wrecks havoc on my tummy)
    white or refined breads (I'm a whole-grains gal)

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    nscrbug:
    vinegar and vinegar-based sauces/dressings
    If you don't have the above, how do you have your salads flavoured? What type of dressing if you barely can even stand anything mayonnaise-like?

Not to make this whole thread overly negative, I will say I have acquired and now enjoy the following after broadening beyond Chinese home cooking:

Vinegar, vinegar-based sauces /dressings. That includes vinegared sushi rice- acquired taste and began to like it from mid 20's onward.

Sushi & sashimi- from late 20's onward

Strong mustards (not just French's), all types of olives- mid 20's onward

Anise- from early 30's onward. I used to dislike it because it reminded me of Old World fustiness. But being part of dearie's family and exposed to his mother's great baking, changed that.

I've always enjoyed sauerkraut. Come one, I grew up in a predominantly German-Mennonite area. Oktoberfest in our area, is the biggest version in North America outside of Germany.

I listed my preferences not to have, if given a choice alot earlier in my thread. But for sheer survival, I WILL eat the stuff if there's not much choice in the area. This is why I do believe developing a broad palate...so it's not a hassle travelling internationally nor ...across ethnic neighbourhoods.

So I will eat deep fried fish....because no other choice. Like I did several times when cycling in rural Maritime Canadian provinces. To feel abit better about it stomach-wise, I told myself: I cycled 80-100kms. that day too. It helped..
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-13-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Seems like a lot of people maybe are not suffering from actual dislike of so many foods, but from exposure to bad cooking.....

I'll never write something off the first, second, probably even third time I've had it. You can get foods prepared poorly and *think* you don't like them.

I had octopus quite a few times and thought it was not too good before I found that if it is prepared correctly it is wonderful. I'm not crazy about a lot of cooked fish dishes, but I loooooove sushi. I used to think a lot of vegetables were nasty - probably because I'd never had them from any source that wasn't a can - Yeah, canned (or jarred) asparagus is awful, but fresh asparagus is yummy with a capitol Y. I don't care to use many veggies that are not fresh - okra, artichoke hearts and corn work frozen, but I don't care to buy other veggies frozen.

There are definitely things I don't eat regularly for health reasons, some things I avoid for ethical/philosophical ones, but I've definitely learned that no matter what I ever thought in the past, always try a food if offered it, especially if its prepared in a way I've never had it. I would have missed out on so many absolutely food experiences if I closed my mind and my mouth to things. I really believe that one of the things that makes people open up the most is sharing food. Food is a huge part of a culture - eating with someone and eating what they eat is sharing their culture with them! People love to talk about their food - it makes them happy!

Maybe I am unusual, but I definitely have a broad palate - I love to cook and I love to cook foods from all sorts of ethnicities. I cook a lot of Chinese, Thai, Indian, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Middle Eastern. People often ask me which of your parents is "X" after talking about cooking food from that place??? Nope - sorry I just have a lot of cook books and access to the internet...
    Last edited by Eden; 10-13-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I won't eat liver or kidneys. I've tried heart and tripe and I like them both, so it's not just general organ meat. I think it's because I work with both of those organs and their roles in the body and can't get over that. Or maybe it's the texture. I'm not sure I could eat tongue.

But, if I was at someone's house and they made any of those above things, I would freely admit that I had never eaten it and am somewhat afraid to, but would give it a try.

Also, this year I joined a CSA. It was a good opportunity to broaden my vegetable experiences. I told myself I wouldn't write off any vegetables I hadn't eaten or 'liked' before. I discovered that I enjoyed cauliflower, and other items I had previously thought I disliked. I can even tolerate (or enjoy!) eggplant given the correct preparation.
    Last edited by Kimmyt; 10-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    nscrbug:

If you don't have the above, how do you have your salads flavoured? What type of dressing if you barely can even stand anything mayonnaise-like?
    I can tolerate a ranch or honey-mustard flavored dressing (on the side)...but that's about it. I definitely don't like the oil & vinegar varieties.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    nscrbug:

If you don't have the above, how do you have your salads flavoured?
    I'm surprised that you'd be the one to ask that question Shootingstar, because vegetables, including salad vegetables, actually taste good.

Two of the things I'm allergic to are yeast and corn, and that means that when I'm being strict about my diet (rare these days), I can't trust any salad dressing I don't make myself (vinegar, corn oil, corn sugar).

Eating salads with no dressing for 3-4 months when I was first diagnosed and learning to manage my food allergies, really taught me to appreciate the flavors of foods. Most of the time now I do indulge in salad dressing, but a teaspoonful is more than enough for a large salad bowl. As an acquaintance of my father's once said, "Dressing is to flavor the vegetables, not to water them."
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler