Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just bought a 2007 Ruby Comp off Craigslist!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think I got a bargain - $1200. When I got her home, though, DH and I discovered lots of grit in the chain and gears, and it looks like they used actual grease to lube it. We've taken her apart and have cleaned each gear, and we've gone over her with soft cloths and degreaser, and DH is going to buy a new chain today, and a few other small parts that need replacing because there's just too much dirt and grit on them, but this time Thursday, I'll have a practically new bike!

The young woman who had her was dating a triathlete about two years ago, so her father bought her this bike and Sidi shoes, and a Cateye and really nice gear bag to go with it...apparently Daddy approved of the BF. Well, they didn't last, and she hasn't ridden the bike in quite some time, and she's in fashion design school up in LA and needs the cash for gas and tuition, plus the bike has some negative associations for her, I think, with the ex.

She's going to be beautiful when we get her all cleaned up. Woohooo!

Oh, and she came with speedplay pedals. I need to get shoes and cleats now. Any suggestions are appreciated on this. I have short, wide feet, just like the recent thread described, so I'm going to go back and read that, but I stopped by our Pearl Izumi outlet store (conveniently about five blocks away from where I bought the bike), and found some men's 41 Vagabond shoes. They're a tad long and a tad narrow for my feet, but not uncomfortable, and DH has warned me about bad shoe fit over long rides, as have you all on the board here, but they were on clearance for $42. I was thinking I'd use them as a learning shoe, to learn how to clip in and clip out, and then buy real shoes when I figure that out. Or would it be better to go find some shoes that really fit me and learn on them?

Roxy - pictures coming soon

P.S. The Cateye indicated the bike has 104 miles on it. If that's accurate and authentic, I think I got a really good deal. It's got a small scrape on the back right fork, like it scraped up against a concrete wall or something, and there was grease on the handlebar tape - the grease was a real mess - but other than that, not a scratch on it. I asked, and the girl said she'd never had a wreck on it or anything. I didn't see the scrape until I got home. It also has two different style tires on it - one a slick Roubaix, one all condition. DH is buying me new tires today, too. Gotta love his idea of romance.
    Last edited by channlluv; 10-06-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

That sounds like a great deal Roxy. I think you might be better off finding shoes that fit you - you might not like the vagabonds if you start doing longer rides.

Oh yay! Great find!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    I It also has two different style tires on it - one a slick Roubaix, one all condition. DH is buying me new tires today, too. Gotta love his idea of romance.
    Hey, go for it. Well, read this any way you want.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow- sounds like a great deal!!! I can't wait to see pictures of your new ride. You're going to LOVE that bike!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I've got a Ruby comp myself and just love it. I'm sure you'll have many miles of enjoyment on it. Happy Riding!

Congrats on the nice new ride.

I think tires are very romantic, and brakes are slightly more romantic.

awesome! Wishing you many happy miles ahead.

Woot Hoo! Congrats on the new bici. Can't wait to see the pics.

EDIT ADD: FWIW, I love Park Tools... and one thing I own is the chain cleaning tool... it ROCKS!
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=8&item=CM%2D5
    Last edited by Miranda; 10-06-2009 at 05:30 PM.

So I expect to be seeing you and Ruby at some SoCal tris next year!

Smile

I'll be riding her for the tri on the 18th (the cycling leg), but to do others, I'm going to have to really work on my swimming and I'm going to have to take up actual running. I'm just about resolved to do that, because I'm losing weight, and there will be less poundage pounding on my joints.

Thanks for all the warm fuzzies. I really love this bike. And, alas, the brakes were fine when I bought her. I did pick up a Dura Ace chain today, though, and she'll have new tires tomorrow.

Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    I've got a Ruby comp myself and just love it. I'm sure you'll have many miles of enjoyment on it. Happy Riding!
    One of the reasons I decided to buy her was because of all the rave reviews Ruby comps have on these boards. Lots of people recommend them, and I figured $1200 was a great deal for a carbon bike.

I can hardly wait to actually get out on her. So far she's just a mechanics project on the bike stand in the kitchen.

Roxy

Good for you! That's encouraging.....

I'm so jealous...enjoy your nice sweet ride...

Congratulations on a great find! Looking forward to seeing pictures!!!