Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

biking in DC recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm traveling to DC tomorrow!!

Would love some recommendations. My hotel for the first few nights are in Alexandria Old Town. I heard it would be nice to bike around there. Then I'll be at a friend's place somewhere in DC proper (not too familiar with the area).

I do want to rent a bike one day and just tour DC/VA ... any recommendations of nice and easy paths? (Road)

Downtown DC -- the tourist part (National Mall, Smithsonian, monuments, and all) -- is great for biking. Nice and easy, great sites.

The Mount Vernon (paved) trail is 15 miles long and runs next to the river in Virginia down to (you see this coming, I'm sure!) Mount Vernon. I haven't ridden that trail, but people I know who have really like it.

Check out www.bikewashington.org for more ideas.

Be careful on the Mt. Vernon Trail. It's heavily traveled, narrow and windy in spots, and a lot of the trail users either are plugged into IPODs or going way too fast. I avoid that trail for those reasons. However, if you go during a weekday day---say around noon---it shouldn't be as bad.

You might want to head north, and either go into the city or take the Custis Trail to the W&OD.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Aeiea - how long are you going to be here? I wonder if a couple of us can bike in DC with you this weekend. I'm waiting for the forecast to firm up, 'cause i'm heading for the shore if there's no rain.

I was hoping that you were going to be here during Bike DC - but that's Oct 17th, not this weekend.

The Mount Vernon trail is going to be a nice pretty one for you - it runs along the potomac, through woods, parks, and over the wetlands on bridges. I don't know if the leaves are turning over there and if any have dropped on the path (It is paved) - but wet leaves (or just leaves) on the path can be slippery. They tend to collect on downhills & turns.

there's a few twisty downhills (or uphills) with sharp turns onto bridges, etc... So take it easy going down hills.

If you take the path in the opposite direction, you go up to DC.

If you just want to putz around downtown you can ride to all the museums on the mall or wherever you want to go downtown. There are some bike lanes here and there on the street but if you don't feel comfortable you can ride on the sidewalk.

Do you want to see a bike trail or do you want to see the city?
    Last edited by Zen; 10-06-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    If you just want to putz around downtown you can ride to all the museums on the mall or wherever you want to go downtown. There are some bike lanes here and there on the street but if you don't feel comfortable you can ride on the sidewalk. There are even bike lanes here and there.

Do you want to see a bike trail or do you want to see the city?
    Cycling on the sidewalk is illegal in the DC Central Business District. Click the "DC Prohibited Sidewalk Cycling zone" link on this page to see the map.

http://www.waba.org/areabiking/maps.php

I second the bikewashington recommendation. Lots of info on that site.

I'm in DC until Sunday (morning). So I figured I'd do one ride on Friday and another ride on Saturday.

I'd love to join up if any of you are doing anything then! Group rides <3

Thanks for the recommendations; I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Cycling on the sidewalk is illegal in the DC Central Business District. Click the "DC Prohibited Sidewalk Cycling zone" link on this page to see the map.

http://www.waba.org/areabiking/maps.php
    On a weekend? Meh.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    On a weekend? Meh.
    You scofflaw.

Have you been violating the law?

If you ride the Mt Vernon trail, then I would take it south from Old Town (not north to DC unless you plan on taking your time and going in just to tool around the monuments and such). There's often less multi-use traffic on the southern end, but on the weekends, it's not going to be great.

There's some great riding in and around DC. What area of the city will you be in? What kind of mileage do you want to do? Do you want to see the sights or ride to get in a good workout?

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    If you ride the Mt Vernon trail, then I would take it south from Old Town (not north to DC unless you plan on taking your time and going in just to tool around the monuments and such). There's often less multi-use traffic on the southern end, but on the weekends, it's not going to be great.

There's some great riding in and around DC. What area of the city will you be in? What kind of mileage do you want to do? Do you want to see the sights or ride to get in a good workout?
    I'll be in Alexandria Old Town as I'll be performing in the evenings on Weds and Thurs, but the rest of time is up to me! I probably just want to see the sights (it is a bit of a vacation lol) or rather have a nice ride -- partially as my sister, who doesn't often ride bikes, will be riding with me. I've been to DC before and don't need to see the monuments or smithsonian (unless they're on the way) -- my main priority is to check out VA/DC nature views... whatever is different from Los Angeles. Which will probably mean -- autumn!!!

I am definitely feeling this Mt Vernon trail Thanks all.

If you want to do nature views - do the Mount Vernon trail. The C&O Canal towpath might be a nice one.

Western Maryland rail trail is 22 miles of paved flat that's up near the mountains that you can return on the C&O canal... it's a bit of a drive out of DC, but could be worth it.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Make sure to have a bell on your bike and use it. Or yell Passing on Your Left or some such phrase. And don't ride too fast. Lots of people are on that trail, but if you go south, there will be fewer. Nice views of the Potomac.

There's a bike shop in Old Town Alexandria that rents bikes. In fact, there are two. Big Wheel Bikes is down on Duke Street at the very end towards the river. It's a yellow building--just follow Duke Street toward the river and you'll get to it. The other one is on Montgomery Street (I think) in Old Town North. It's called Wheel Nutz.

I'm heading up to DC tonight for the 3-Day Walk. I'll be on a VERY fluffy pink mountain bike, I have a pink helmet with a tiara, or a cowboy hat with a pink boa when I'm directing traffic. Pink tutu or pink tennis skirt too. Stop and say hello if you see me! Unless the pinkness scares you away!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.