Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First race on Valkyrie

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Grand Prix at Goucester was my Terry Valkyrie's baptism by mud! Pouring rain, 25 mph winds, longs steep muddy run-ups...a real 'cross experience. Driving to the race in the downpours I told myself it was OK to just watch the races, but once I was there I knew I had to do it. It was my first race this year and I was anxious to see how the Valkyrie would feel.

The bike did great...handled well in the tight turns, small frame with an open triangle that I could shoulder easily, and 26-inch wheels with no toe overlap. I had a couple of miss-shifts with the Rival double-tap system, but I couldn't be happier with it. I am still really slow and off the back of the pack, but I wasn't last . I was actually looking over my shoulder hoping the leader would pass me so I wouldn't have to do another lap! (And she did, just before the last sprint. I was second over the finish line, though )

The second day there was no rain, but the course was still wet and muddy, although they totally changed it. It was a much faster course without the muddy hill of doom, but they added another muddy chicane and sandpit. I felt better on the second day and didn't get lapped and still didn't finish last. My goal during my last lap was to finish before they completed the podium presentations. I just made it!

I'm feeling stronger than I did last year and looking forward to a coulple of months of crazy fun on the bike

I didn't notice the new bike when I saw you this weekend! I'll have to check it out at the next race. You going to be at Providence this weekend?

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

We will be in Providence, probably just one day. Right now Sunday is looking better weather-wise (fair weather 'crosser that I am).