Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up MS-150 CYCLE TO THE SHORE, St. Augustine, Florida to Daytona Beach, Florida

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just finished the MS-150 Cycle to the Shore, starting from St. Augustine, Florida to Daytona Beach and back the next day. In past years, I have always completed the first day but was unable to do the next day for various reasons. I was determined this year to finish both and I DID!!!

First of all - I am a wimp and only do the 150K which turns out to be a total of 112 miles in 2 days. Having said that, Saturday morning started out wonderful - cool and sunny. Hit most of the rest stops - had a wonderful lunch of a vegetarian sub sandwich, chips, water, cookies. Stopped at another rest stop that provided snow cones - wonderful!!! Then, the sun came out, full force. About 3 miles from the finish line, I started to bonk. I don't know if I was dehydrated or my blood sugar plummetted. I pulled off the side of the road, ate a granola bar I fished out of my pocket, drank my water, stretched and got back on the bike, ready to go. The Society provided a really nice spaghetti dinner - Got to bed and because of the stinky air conditioner that kept making noises, I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. I considered taking a SAG back to St. Augustine but thought I would try it. This time, around mile 30, I stopped at a conveience store and bought a coke and a dark chocolate snicker bar. Ate that and passed up the next rest stop. The weather was cloudy, overcast which made for an absolutely wonderful finish.

All and all, after doing this 4 times, this was the best one I have done. I have to give kudos to the North Florida MS Society. This is such a well-supported ride and I would recommend this to anyone interested in charity rides.
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

Hi, live on the West Coast and have done the Middle Fl chapter and most recently the South Fl chapter MS 150.
    So were there nto enough stops w/ snacks (you mentioned bonking and stopping at a convenine store). I always these rides have freq. stops and lots of food. Was tehre a lunch stop?
    So how were the roads, traffic, support overall.
    Sounds like you recommend this one. Have you done others?
    I know a bunch of questions all at once. But we normally do a couple of these rides each year and looking at next spring/summer and doing our planning.
    katluvr

Were you riding on A1A or on 95?

That sounds like a really fun ride. It's every year? Do they have a Website with an email list? I'd love to do it next year.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Actually, there were great rest stops. But, I hate gatorade and all the energy drinks. I was eating Sport Beans which gave a little electrolites...

The ride is on A1A - next year will be 2-3 October. I think you'll love it!
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

oops.....the website is http://www.nationalmssociety.org
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby