Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Salt water flushing / Juice Fasting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wasn't really sure where to post this question and ultimately decided here. My question is I am really interested in doing a body cleanse of sorts and I have been reading about juice fasting and salt water flushes. The salt water flush involves using 2 tsp of uniodized sea salt, and 32 oz of warm water. Stir it up and drink it down. This is supposed to cause you to have mulitple emliminations within 1 hours to 1 1/2 hours after drinking. I was just wondering if anyone has done this or something similar.

The reasons for wanting to do a juice fast and/or a salt water flush is just a personal thing. The weather is changing to a different season. I'm wanting to start fresh and new with my life, eating healthier, not as much processed foods, I'm wanting to quit smoking (again) and I just thought this might help me out. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

I'll chug warm saltwater if there's no syrup of ipecac available and I've just eaten something poisonous. But honestly, forcing yourself to vomit is probably much more traumatic to the system than just giving it a juice fast for 2 days.

An even better cleanse might be to drink water and eat lots of raw fruit and veges for 2 days. Good roughage, lots of fluid, lots of antioxidants to recharge you.

(and anything you need to clean out is going to be at the "other end" anyway, not up in the stomach)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

This isn't supposed to cause you to throw up or vomit, it's supposed to cause you to go to the bathroom within and 1 hour to 2 hours after drinking it. Good god no, i'm not wanting to vomit!!! Sorry for the misunderstanding!!
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

Quote Originally Posted by jessica47201 View Post
    This isn't supposed to cause you to throw up or vomit, it's supposed to cause you to go to the bathroom within and 1 hour to 2 hours after drinking it. Good god no, i'm not wanting to vomit!!! Sorry for the misunderstanding!!
    Uhh, if you drink that much warm salt water you're gonna puke. That's exactly the recipe used to make people vomit when they've eaten something poisonous.

I'd go the water-and-raw-fruit-and-veges route. It uses the body's own peristalsis mechanism to clean itself out, and it's good for you. (and it'll make you go to the bathroom at your body's own pace and without messing up your inner environment)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Related to what Knotted in terms of health diet with roughage and least amount of processed food.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=32936

Regular exercise helps too. You will feel cleansed once you streamline your regular diet to healthier range of food and regular cycling/whatever.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Years ago I followed Paavo Airola's fasting program, and I still think he's one of the best on this subject. I fasted (fresh fruit and vegetable juices diluted with water) for ten days and that is the absolute best I have ever felt in my life. I'd bounce out of bed every morning, raring to go and with a lot of energy. However, I had been studying the method for a long time and my head was in the right place, plus I was very positive and kept things to myself because who needs negative feedback when you're trying to do something good for yourself? Part of it, however, included daily enemas because with only juices going through one's system, peristalsis is a factor and you want to clean out, not keep the toxins in. So, anyway, that's my experience, and I felt fantastic and have never felt that good since then. It was truly cathartic and healthy! Fasting is a breeze after the third day — no more hunger, but it is extremely necessary to know how to break the fast! That's probably the most important factor. He describes it all in his book, Are You Confused?. Lots of luck to you!

Thank you, everyone for your imput and information. I have really been wanting to do fasting program for awhile now. I've been to the local library and I've scoured all over the internet weeding out the good and the bad stuff. The salt water flush was something I stumbled upon while reading about the Master Cleanse program, sometimes called the Lemonade diet. I read some reviews about the fasting but you can't always believe what you read on the net. Thanks again!!!

Hey,

don't know how long your intended fast is.
    I once attempted a juice fasting program that was supposed to go on for a week.

I gave up Wednesday morning. I felt horrible for 2 days. Cold, tired, unconcentrated, cranky, there was this horrible fermented grain juice I was supposed to down in the mornings; on Wed I sat in front of it, crying, for an hour or two before I chucked it down the drain and made myself some soup.

Honestly, biologically speaking I see no sense in fasting or "cleansing" - but if you want to do it as a "body-mind-spirit" exercise, go ahead...
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

The best book I've found is Stop Your Cravings by Jennifer Workman. She is a registered dietitian and approaches diet, exercise & the mind/body connection through an Ayurvedic position. She has examples of cleanses that she recommends in the Spring & Fall depending on your constitution (Vata, Pitta or Kapha - she has questionnaires so you can determine what you are - most of us are a mix).
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I would tackle the smoke quit first, and eat as well as possible during that time. When you quit smoking, your body tends to naturally purge a lot of toxins, and you need to eat right and hydrate in order to help that process. Fasting at the same time might be too much at once.

I quit smoking six years ago after multiple attempts. I highly recommend:

www.quitsmokingonline.com (a little hokey, but it works)

with follow up:
    www.cognitivequitting.com
    www.whyquit.com
    www.quitnet.org (a community like TE.)
    I can do five more miles.

+1 on quitting smoking

And be NICE to yourself!

perhaps late in the game and not as on topic anymore, but I thought I would share my experience with an inadvertent salt cleanse.

A while back I went surfing. Not very well, mind you, where I was gulping sea water probaby by the gallon.

That night, I went to the toilet and was about to pass gas, but what came out was... well... brown water (sorry!). It took me by surprise because I had no cramps or anything.

So, I suppose you can say a salt water cleanse would work, but not sure how healthy it is.

Badger, yuck!

The first time my dog went to the beach he'd taste the water every time we turned our heads.

Luckily we were out of the car before it started coming out both ends simultaneously.

Smart dog though, he never drank salt water again.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Badger, yuck!

Smart dog though, he never drank salt water again.

But was he pure?

Sorry about the surfing Badger, but it's a great story!