Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Vitamins

Vitamins

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to come back after a few years off from injury, surgury, rehab, yada yada boring. I'm having a tough time, I'm really stressed , my whole life went down the tube 'cause of this. I normally burn up the stress on the bike but haven't been able to do that. In November I got into trouble with tachycardia and wouldn't recover after even the mildest of workouts, lot of colds. I have a fat flabby metabolism and the butt to match, very frustrated UNTIL...
    Started super B complex, and calcium and magnesium supplements about two weeks ago. Feel much much better, taking some other vitamins too. But it's like I can't get enough calcium and magnesium. I find it hard to beleive I could have a huge deficiency, my diet isn't that bad. Perhaps it was the drugs I've been using (lots of anti inflammants and pain pills, anntidepressents for a while).
    So, vitamins are a new area for me. Anybody have a favorite reference book, or tips to contribute? The ones I take now are from research on stress hormones like cortisol ect., but I need more info. I had a Holter, echo, and stress test before I got sent back to the real gym and was totally normal, then all this cardiac weirdness started, among other things. My docs are mystified, but think that if magnesium makes me better they're all for it. I'm a little stymied because there's so much obvious quackery surrounding the vitamin supplement business. Any info is welcomed.
    If I can't start training seriously again soon I will go stark raving mad. I know you all understand this.

missliz

calciyummm

you should check on what form of calcium is in your vitamin. Calcium carbonate is the most common but also the least absorbed. i am not sure what form is most absorbed. I think "prescription for nutritional healing" from what i remember was pretty good. also i recommend going to a dietician.

good luck!

Hannah

Calcium and magnesium citrates are the best absorbed. Alternatively, you can take your calcium with a little orange juice to help assimilation. Calcium & magnesium can also help with sleep. And yes, both are very effective in management of heart problems.

My favorite supplement is l-glutamine. It is an amino acid that helps fat metabolism and facilitates muscle recovery after workouts. I use the powder and take 5 grams first thing in the AM on an empty stomach and last thing at night. I'm 48, so I don't recover like a 30 year old. This really helps.

Yes, there is a lot of quackery around vitamin supplements. What is worse, some supplements have little, if any, of the ingredient advertised. I stick with the larger companies. I like solgar, solaray and twin labs.

Kim
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I can recommend a book
    Feed yourself right by Dr. Lendon Smith.
    I just checked Amazon and it is out of print. What I like about it is that to me it seem like non-hype practical information about vitamin needs. This is in relation to differnt stages of life. He also gets into vitamins to build up against allergies.

I found it to be straight forward, and used some of the information both for my kids and for myself.

It may not be what you are looking for but then again it may.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM