Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, I discovered something I never used before. Telework.
    We had a contractor scheduled to come at noon to give us an estimate on a job. At work, I was going to be chained to my desk all day, writing a proposal and editing documents that live on our wiki. So there seemed little point in going in for a few hours, coming home to meet with the contractor for a half hour, and then going back to work. I'd spend more time commuting than working. So, with telework agreement in hand, I logged on from home and did my work from here.
    Wow. Loved the commute. No snotty weather to deal with. No stinky Metro to ride on. I just had to listen to our bunny, Noah, snoring all day. I had no idea he snores (well, it's more like a relaxed whine)!

Good for you! Teleworking is wonderful! I've been doing it for a few years but only one day every 2 weeks. I LOVE it. You forgot to mention that you can stay in your pajamas and no one will know.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Yesterday, I discovered something I never used before. Telework.

Bad score for me this week. I took transit on Monday, rode on Tuesday, Wednesday was a holiday in my province so I didn't go anywhere, Thursday I took the car and today I am working from home and going nowhere, except perhaps walking to the corner store. I'll go for a run though.

Oh well. I did cycle 4/5 last week during Bike-to-Work Week.

I did 2 out of 3 days this week. The forecast called for showers off and on all day today so I took a chance. The morning commute was wonderful but I'm hoping I don't get caught in a downpour on the way home.

Good grief.
    After the flu, I can barely get to work in my car!

While I was sick, I coughed so hard that my banged up ribs started to hurt again. Curses! Foiled again!

The good news is I did a test commute run on Friday afternoon, and made it, although the bit by the university was packed with people for a high school football extravaganza, so I ended up walking, just to navigate through the crowd.

Feel better soon. That flu is nasty stuff! Be kind to yourself and only cycle as it feels good.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    Feel better soon. That flu is nasty stuff! Be kind to yourself and only cycle as it feels good.
    I have been really lucky and missed out on it despite the students dropping like flies. I did want to mention, that as you are recovering, an easy ride can make you feel LOTS better. My theory is that a little exercise suppresses some of the over-reactions of the immune system. It works for allergies, too.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    This was a bad week for me. Only commuted 1.5 days (the other half of the second day involved a ride home after two glasses of wine with dinner).
    I was just extremely fatigued this week and felt like I needed that extra 30 minutes of sleep every morning.
    Now I feel so guilty when I don't commute; like I'm letting down the planet when I drive my car.
    Hopefully I'll have more energy and be better next week.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I've had a crummy month so far! For a multitude of reasons I've only had 5 days of commuting this month. I hope to change that this week with a full five day commute week.
    I finally broke down and put the studded tires on my bike to cope with the icy mornings we've been having and wouldn't you know, we had an almost recording breaking WARM morning. Almost 50 degrees! But the forecast is for rain and possible snow toward the end of the week so I guess I'll just deal with em.

It's raining now, so a dark, wet ride home. My favorite kind! bikerHen

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I did want to mention, that as you are recovering, an easy ride can make you feel LOTS better. My theory is that a little exercise suppresses some of the over-reactions of the immune system. It works for allergies, too.
    I stayed home sick today. Yesterday I rode my bike to work and called my DH to pick me up and bring me and Firefly home. I had a fever and chills. Ugh. The weather was gorgeous today so I had a small gentle ride after lunch. I did well to maintain 10-11mph. I was wiped out after my 11 mile ride. Glad I did it, though. I figured I could sit on the couch and feel cruddy, or get on my bike and enjoy the sunshine. Other than being tired I enjoyed the exercise and fresh air.

Deb

I've had the flu for more than 3 weeks.. yesterday I thought I was feeling 'normal' (i can barely recall what that is at this point) so I got on the bike. I ride 15kms each way, and it was just too much, too soon. I think I'll drive for the rest of this week and see how it goes on Monday.

Stupid hamdemic.

4 for 4 this week (tomorrow is my day off from work). I'm glad I biked in this morning. It was misting most of the way in but the bike path and roads weren't that slick. It's been a wonderful week to be on the bike. The temperature - both in the morning and evening - has been ideal. I'm really hoping that it's not raining when I leave this evening.

Forgot to add - feel better soon, mizzbananie! Although I've been fortunate so far and haven't been sick, my younger daughter has missed so many days of school that I received a letter from the principal about the percentage of days she's missed. And it's only November .

It was 4F out this morning, but beautiful! The air was still and the sun was just peeking up... I was a little cold when I got in, but what a beautiful morning

Quote Originally Posted by ginny View Post
    It was 4F out this morning, but beautiful! The air was still and the sun was just peeking up... I was a little cold when I got in, but what a beautiful morning
    4F? Like 4º F? Dang, that's cold!

2 for me so far this week. May commute Sat, but I've met my mileage goal for the week, so we'll see if I feel like riding more. I'm not one to overdo it.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 11-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.