Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ha! I'm actually considering doing the same thing - changing the schedule that I've had since...1991! Instead of leaving a half hour earlier, I would try 15 minutes. But that means waking up around 5 a.m. and I'm not sure that is doable for me. And poor you. No quality time with adorable Noah

About 2 miles into my commute this morning, I bumped into a friend of mine who I've known for years via the running community. She was doing her regular early morning run. Her ex-husband used to be my coach. We stopped to talk because she had just come back from the NYC Marathon where she had been working with some of the Nike athletes - stretching them pre and post race. She had wonderful stories to tell about Meb (who ended up winning the whole darn thing) and other athletes. We talked for about 15 minutes. During the 2 miles that I had been biking, I had already started to warm up so I was sweating quite a bit. When I started back up again... I was frozen! It was not a fun commute the rest of the way in. I am now enjoying a HUGE cup of hot coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Well, I'm so far addressing the lost evening light by leaving a half hour earlier in the a.m. This will get me out the door earlier in the afternoon. That means DH has to feed Noah in the a.m. each morning I ride. No quality time with my bunner sharing banana .
    We'll see how long this lasts.....

My first standard time commute went well. It was light by the time DH and I got to the office and we managed to beat the darkness home too. It won't stay like that for long, but it's making it easier to ease into the dark evenings.

I intended to sign up for this, but after careful consideration decided not to. I migth try to cycle to work some mornings, but on days when I can either leave early or when BF can pick me up after work. BF and I were chatting about cycling home in the dark and we came to the conclusion that it would be most sensible not to on my commute route. It is very dark (no street lights), the road is narrow and windy, people generally drive in the middle of the road and only move over if they can see car headlights up ahead which means they will not be alert to my presence until its too late, drivers generally do not expect to see cyclists especially on dark and stormy nights. So from now on I am going to stop feeling guilty about taking the bus or the car to work through the winter unless I can do the commute in daylight. Makes me feel like a wuss compared to some of you, but I think it's the sensible decision.

UK, that is a perfectly reasonable conclusion. No one can argue with staying alive to ride through another summer.

5 for 5 Today was ridiculously beautiful. 72 degrees. Felt like September. I left work early and added 5 miles to my commute home.

Deb

aeiea - consider yourself in! 20 miles is no easy task for a winter commute -- good luck and keep us informed!

I just got back from a work trip to Philly - transit strike -- SO many bike commuters, many clearly not regulars. Great to see and I hope some of them decide to do it more often.

Next week back on the bike -- hooray!

I commuted only today this week. I had to scrape ice off the windshield of my car this morning! It was only in the 30s when I left home. I also am going in earlier-leaving earlier, so I'm still making it to my car while it's still light out in the evening. I'm lucky to have a lot of flexibility at my job.

Just realized I probably won't have many days to commute in Dec due to being at shows, not at my regular job. Oh well, hopefully I'll still get my regular rides in.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 11-08-2009 at 03:55 AM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    4 out of 5 days this week. Woo hoo! With weather in the 70's this week I had no excuse! Next week will be just as nice. This weather is unusual and crazy- but I love it!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

3 days out of 6- not too shabby

The worst part of winter commuting is the amount of laundry. I just crammed our front loader full, and it was only a week's worth! During the summer, there isn't nearly the volume of cycling and running clothes.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The worst part of winter commuting is the amount of laundry. I just crammed our front loader full, and it was only a week's worth! During the summer, there isn't nearly the volume of cycling and running clothes.
    B/t my DH and me, we always seem to have a huge pile of bike clothes that needs to be washed. I'm forever asking..."Did you do bike clothes today? I really want to wear those ....(insert item: leg warmers, buff, knickers, etc)...tomorrow."

As I suspected, each morning since turning the clocks back, I've left a leeeeetle bit later in the morning.....
    This morning, I was delayed by putting a bunch of plums that we have no hope of eating before they turn into the oven to dry. It's an experiment.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I have simply been too busy at work to ride. I've been working everyday until midnight, weekends, too. When this big push is over, I'll be able to fit a bike ride into my day. But until then (next Monday), no riding.

Every day so far for November. And these last 2 have been so nice and warm. October had 3 days of car. One because the car needed to be serviced (although I did drop the car at the shop and rode the rest of the way), one because I had a dental appt. mid-day and it was too far to ride, and one for no good reason (felt blah - regretted it the whole time). But otherwise have been riding to work every day and home in the dark and cold. In the past couple of weeks, in addition to commuting, I rode to a Dr. appt. after work, rode to a haircut appt. mid-day, and rode to an evening meeting downtown. Planning on riding from work to a luncheon date next week.
    Last edited by Voodoo Sally; 11-10-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Lately my commute has been the only good thing about my work day. I'm so burned out at my job but now doesn't seem like a good time to look for something else. On the bright side, I can look over my shoulder and see my bike waiting for me. It makes me smile. Every work day so far this November. Good weather forecast for the next few days.

Deb

Oh, and I've decided I love riding at night. The trail is quiet. It's too dark to check the cyclometer for speed/time. I just bike and decompress.

One (today) again for me this week. I know we're getting rain tomorrow, and I need a rest day, so that's it for me!

I almost asked for a ride to my car after work tonight. Steady 20-30 mph NNE winds, means a headwind most of the way, with the windiest part being the last 10 miles, which is right on the coast. Well, after some hemming and hawing, I got on the bike and rode. Don't know why "Only the Good Die Young" kept playing in my head? Really, it was an absolutely fun ride, and I'm so glad I didn't wimp out. The other thing I kept thinking, specifically about headwind riding that you might try sometime, was I'm still moving faster than if I was walking, which really helped.

It was also totally dark by the time I got to my car, and the circle of light from my helmet light was so good for the false-flat climb that usually kills me at the end. I thought with the wind, I'd be in my granny, but I was still in the big ring, hauling up the hill, with no inner voices telling me how hard this is. I kept thinking, this feels easy...weird. The little beam gives a good focus point, so you can't get thrown by the other visual cues.

I like wind, and night riding.

Good for you, redrhodie. Sounds like you are tough - both mentally and physically. Me? I wimped out today because of the all-day rain and wind. Maybe tomorrow...maybe.