Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Summer & Winter breakfasts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Summer is almost here..

During our yucky wet/coolish weather period over the last 4 months I have consistently eaten Oatmeal(not the instant kind) w banana & honey before any dirt ride or event. NOw that summer's just about here, I may dread making this when it's hot in the early mornings. The thing is, my tummy's happy w the oatmeal mix.

Do you ever change your high energy breakfasts to the seasons?

I don't know if i want to experiment but then think..hmm..why not.

Muesli with griek yoghurt, fresh berries and honey...hmmmmm

+1 on fruit and yogurt! Or I might have toast with cream cheese. I eat that year round.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?

Hey CC

Same thing here with me......... been enjoying oatmeal and raisins all winter, but now spring is here (?!?!?! some days ) I've changed over to bircher muesli made with oatmeal and apple sauce................ still test driving the receipe, but will post it shortly
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

For the last few years I have been using Knotts low-cholesterol breakfast. That encludes old-fashioned oatmeal, a nine grain cereal, almonds, wheat germ, flax seeds, rasins, grape nuts, banana, and cheerios on top. Then I add Keifr yougurt and Soy milk. This has been great during the summer because I am not starving 2 hours later.

My winter modification is this: old-fashioned oatmeal, wheat germ, almonds (or walnuts), nine grain cereal, banana, and grape nuts. Then the same Keifr yougurt on top with Soy milk. The oatmeal is cooked. I am going to experiement this year by cooking the nine grain cereal with the oatmeal. I have never done this before. I came across a recipie that had bulgur in it. So I will have to give it a try with the oatmeal and see how that works out.

CC-so my basics are the same. I heat one up if it is cold and I eat as it is when it is warm outside.

Have fun experiementing and finding what works for you.

Red Rock

I have pretty much the same thing year-round. On a short ride (20Km), I have Weet-bix and some tinned fruit. For longer rides, I have a 220g tin of baked beans, with toasted 9-grain bread and some peanut butter. Yummm

Max

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I only started my oatmeal oriented breakfasts when I moved out to Vancouver and have it year-round.

Yogurt with fresh fruit would be a terrific, healthy hot weather brekkie.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I eat about 10-15% more in winter than I do in summer (I'm walking everywhere, and it's COLD in January). I don't change my breakfast much. I just have a mug of hot chocolate or tea instead of cold milk with my bowl of cereal.

summer

MNZ..Spring sunshine is back tomorrow for quite a while..at least according to the BOM site!

THanks for all the info

I think i needed to mention in my post that it's breakfasts for before I venture off mtn biking that i'm concerned about. Just having fruit and yogurht w honey would not sustain me over a 30km+ ride on uphill singletrack . I normally only eat Oatmeal, honey & banana when going mtn biking as it's proven to keep me going for a while. In addition, it doesn't upset my tummy when mixed afterwards with the drink mixture i use on my rides.

Also, i'm not fond of foods that will instantly make me regular . About bread...i'd like to stay away from that as a breakfast on ride days. Perhaps as an energy snack whilst out on the trails, yep.

Perhaps i'll just stick w the oatmeal, honey & yoghurt.

Toss a few nuts in the mix.