Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Big bruise became big dent

To disable ads, please log-in.

I crashed and ended up smashing a bar end into my thigh. It made a nasty hand sized bruise, which is mostly better, but now it is a dent in my quad.

Will the muscle fill back in?
    Should I do anything to help it?

I had a crash in May that caused a huuuuuge hematoma on the inside of my right thigh. The bruising was gone within a few weeks, but I've still got a lump under the skin and a little bit of a dent next to it. I figure it'll go away eventually. Or not.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Usually those dents are caused by areas where the subcutaneous tissue has adhesed to the skin and muscle beneath it. If you try to massage the area does the skin move around like it does in the same spot on the other thigh? If not, it's adhesed and you should massage for 5 min or so a couple of times per day. Sometimes the massage will bring up another round of bruising... that's OK.

Hope that helps.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks.

It feels pretty stuck, and the massage feels right, so I'll keep it up.

Update:The bruise/dent in question, which I call "Lester" because when it was fresh and colorful it bore a resemblance to my grandfather (o.k. there were opiates involved and I wasn't wearing my glasses)...

Anyway, Lester likes the massage and cycles through light shades of green and is less dent-like and more leg-like. (At least one of us is cycling.)

The coolest thing about the massage is that I have an OLD dent further around on my thigh, where I fell on an oar-lock whitewater rafting about 30 years ago, and I've been massaging it too, and it is re-bruising and pinking up, and it feels like it might be getting better.

So thanks again Wahine!

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Update:The bruise/dent in question, which I call "Lester" because when it was fresh and colorful it bore a resemblance to my grandfather (o.k. there were opiates involved and I wasn't wearing my glasses)...

Anyway, Lester likes the massage and cycles through light shades of green and is less dent-like and more leg-like. (At least one of us is cycling.)
    thanks for the morning laugh - great post
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Arnica helps, too. You can message some of that in.