Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

fitness trends & what if

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1743951
    Don't know how the study was conducted to determine the trends. Nor what the original survey questions were. No cycling was not mentioned. Wouldn't have expected it.

Which makes one wonder..IF cycling did become more an integral part of people's lives as a method of transportation, would people even think of it as a fitness activity? Somehow tend think that in countries where there is alot more lifestyle /functional/utilitarian cycling, regular folks don't even think of it as a fitness activity isolated from their regular daily activities.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1743951
    Somehow tend think that in countries where there is alot more lifestyle /functional/utilitarian cycling, regular folks don't even think of it as a fitness activity isolated from their regular daily activities.
    ?And is that a bad thing?
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I'm just wondering if cycling is considered a "sport" rather than a fitness activity. When I think "fitness"--I think gym stuff. That could be just me . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Not all a bad thing. Probably might be part of the problem for some people to motivate them for healthier lifestyle...for some people if they view something as exercise, it's a "task"/chore to them. If you try the word "sport" on same folks, it might sound intimidating to them.

For instance, it took me awhile in the beginning to view myself as undertaking a "sport", which is cycling. But sport to many people might suggests a form of competition/benchmarking. I still have an inferiority complex to use sport with 100% conviction for myself.

"Fitness activity" is more encompassing to everyone..if words can sell and motivate the unwilling, by all means, use it!
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-24-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

*grumble* It's our bizarrely sedentary lifestyle that makes us think of any activity other than sitting still as a "fitness activity" or "sport", or "exercise", rather than the normal movement we were designed for. *grumble*
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Eh, this is a story written for and about the fitness industry, meaning gym professionals - personal trainers, group exercise instructors, and their administrators. (Never mind it's three months old.)

Other than the nod they give to running (and that only because unlike Spinning®, the treadmill manufacturers forgot to trademark their indoor workout), they don't talk about any participatory sports, only things that people can be taught to do in a gym.

Which are important supplements to sports.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm not sure I truly understand the purpose of the survey. They asked ASCM-certified professionals what they thought was most important in terms of fitness? Isn't that kind of like asking a cycling team what their favorite sport is?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Well no, it's more like asking a cycling team what their top 10 most important workouts are - downhill intervals, hill repeats, one legged intervals, etc.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Well no, it's more like asking a cycling team what their top 10 most important workouts are - downhill intervals, hill repeats, one legged intervals, etc.
    I guess what I'm saying is that relating this survey to the general public is like asking a cycling coach what the trends in cycling are and expecting their vision/expertise to include commuting, touring, and casual beach riding. And then drawing the conclusion that since they didn't mention those things...that those things aren't important (which is ridiculous).

I just think the study is skewed and really not very illuminating at all.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom