Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What to put in my seat bag?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm officially training on my mt bike for 'cross races. I'm a roadie, and don't really know what I should have on board for flats and trouble shooting. (and I don't want to ask the guys at the store). My bike came with schrader tubes - I think I would prefer Presta (do I, or would it be better to stick with schrader?) What kind of pump is good? I use C02 cartridges for my road bike. Should I carry a patch kit, tire irons, is there anything unique to mt bikes that I need? I have a (specialized Myka Elite) hard tail with spring front shocks and disc brakes. any favorite multi-tools for mt bikes? I mostly ride on a local single track course in town for training, so generally am within cell service and a 15 minute walk back to the car. Thanks so much! Tokie

chain

Perhaps an idea might be to get a chain breaker or have a link put on just in case something goes horribly wrong. You'll still have to walk but if you are like McGyver, you'll find a way to get back to home base.

C02 pump & cartridges are a good idea.

What about tubeless tires?? I recently switched over (new wheels too) & think they're great! They seem to have better grip. JetBlack wheels are a reasonably priced option(at least down this way..dunno up there)

Hi Tokie

Good for you on mixing things up and taking to the woods. I find it's a nice change to not worry about cars and dogs like the road.

I carry some same stuff in the bag that I do for the road. I've been pretty happy to have a multi-tool in my mtb bag to fix something after an obstacle crash to get outta the woods. Knock on wood, never used that on the roadie. Go figure.

Some stuff can go into your CamelBak if you wear one. Mine is the ladies Charm and it doesn't hold much pocket wise. But my favorite Sugoi Gusta shorts holds stuff well in the leg pocket.

Steri-strips for a wound crash... that's something that's in my mtb bag that's not in my road bike. Plus, an extra OFF bug spray wipe. I hate getting eaten alive in the woods once you sweat off the original batch of spray.

And a small compass (bought at sporting goods store, less than $5). Good to have if your trail map is lost, the trail becomes lost away all the sudden, or if you own GPS and it fails etc. No street signs in the woods and after a while the trees all start to look the same.

Have fun & good luck w/cross!

Cookies.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks gals....Fortunately, not many bugs here, but I do carry a sunscreen stick. Have multi-tool, but need one with little pliers I think. I do have a little camelback - can shove a few things in there. Steri-strips -ewww - haven't had my first abrasion/laceration yet! I should take an orienteering course if I expect a compass to help me. And Zen, if I carry cookies, I may attract bears! I'll stick to bars. I'm actually not skilled enough to get up to where the bears live here. Just the mountain lions ! My MB skills have already made me a better roadie! I am having a blast! Tokie