Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, my coaching company is up and running. I've got my basic accounting under control. So now I'm looking for ways to drum up business. This is not the best time of year to try to get coaching clients, but that's OK. Better to start working on these things now since I never know when I'm going to have time for these things.

Here's what I've got in motion so far:

A fun logo that will be turned into postcard size adverts I can leave at the local shops.

Work on a website will be started in later October. I'll try to get that site linked to the local running shop and bike shops, the tri club. Maybe even the local masters swimming group.

I'm doing some group classes already but it's all been by word of mouth.

I really don't have much of a budget for advertising. So I'm looking for cheap ideas.

Any suggestions?
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Craigslist? meetup.com? Any local forums to your area?

Thanks, those are great ideas, especially since a lot of what I do is online and not location dependent. But we have a great on line resource for classifieds that is local. I should definitely take advantage of that!

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I think you could probably set up a blog cheaply that highlights you and your business.

Put it in your tag line when you post on here or any other forum. I know there's triathalon or racing specific forums out there, and becoming part of those communities as well as ours here will probably drum you up some business...

The website and blog are a great idea. I've done very little online research for coaches (and am still debating shelling out for one and what I even want), but I love to look local and check out websites. I like to know what kind of people you coach, and what kind of goals you coach for, if you have a specialty, that kind of thing. And, it's fun to hear about what people you coach are doing.

Advertising locally is a great idea. Maybe offer a discount if someone finds your ad locally in a shop ("free consultation" or whatever). Also, if you can get your card dropped into the bags for local races, I do read all of those, too.

Good luck.

The blog is a great idea, I read coach and athlete blogs.
    When you have more resources, sell your trainees "uniforms" with your name and logo. I actually read people's jersey's, both training, biking, and in triathlons. It really spreads the word. It should have the address, you know wahine.com, or whatever, so that people can look it up.
    I have a friend who has a training coaching business, goodwillrunners.net
    he has so many people now that he has different groups, all word of mouth, from on the road training, and races.
    He has certain rides and runs, the beginners do group ride on such a such day, the advanced...etc. so the group rides generate more people and more training. Then they also do group run, they pay monthly, and there uniforms at the races are very cute. When they do 5ks or 10ks, they are all wearing there "team shirt".

If you want to create your own website (Until you get really famous and have the big bucks to have someone do it for you) - there is one that isn't too expensive, very easy to use - I use it to create presentations for courses I am doing. (anything for bonus marks...) I use it for a month, and then unsubscribe when my course or presentation is over.

www.citymaker.com

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Do your local running shops have any multi-week clinics for anything? Our local running shops have "Learn to Run" and "No Boundaries Programs" which are technically for beginners but a lot of people take part just for the motivation. Each week a local expert gives a talk and hands out info materials and contact info. Good way to get exposure for those who are looking to step it up a notch.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks for all the ideas. I will definitely get on the blog thing. I've already got a blog that I have trouble keeping up to date. But I think I can motivate myself to be more consistent if I remember that it will help stir up business.

Spindizzy - Thank you so much for the cheap website idea, if I get inspired I'll go that route. Right now I don't have much spare time and the motivation is low because I've got someone lined up that's a professional to put together a website for me in exchange for coaching time.

I have a great logo that I will reveal here on TE sometime. I even have some other t-shirt etc ideas. It'll be great.

Sadie - thanks for that suggestion. I already do a lot of work with the local running shop but I haven't done anything for a while. It might be time for another beginner's clinic.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Besides a blog - write articles on certain training issues as their own blogs with a hyperlink back to your website. Keep the articles between 500-750 words and put some cool pix on it.

Do you have a facebook/myspace account/twitter? Make sure you list your occupation and have your website link there.

On your blogs and facebook/myspace, and website, ask people to sign up for a monthly newsletter. Then send one out with an update, tip of the month, etc via EMAIL. And there's a spot here on TE to toot your own horn. Toot. Loudly! And post your website link.

Keep track of what works and what doesn't. Partner up with third party people that you use - bike stores, nutitionists, etc. and swap advertising. Ask to put your ad/hyperlink on their websites and you'll do the same.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    Dar

Thanks Dar. those are awesome suggestions.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I found my coach through a flyer on the counter at my LBS. I had actually been pestering my husband (PT) to find someone that did metabolic testing. He knew no-one.

On an all-day search for my daughter's bike, ended up at LBS (of course it was the last stop...) While she was being fitted I saw a brochure on a counter - it outlined metabolic testing, machine made by a company called New Leaf. Made an appointment, looked at his website, had the testing done. Decided to get some coaching on a month-to-month basis- just to make sure it was a good fit - and what I wanted. I really had no specific goals other than to lose 20 lbs and become more fit than when I started. I did the work he prescribed, saw the results and I'm still here.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

I think this is a GREAT time to drum up business, in an indirect sense. Perhaps you could write an article and publish it somewhere -- pitch it to some tri websites or magazines -- about assessing the past season's performance and using that assessment to set goals for next year. And from goals you establish your off-season training plans. And at the end of the article, you list your credentials, and oh by the way, you're also a coach and you're accepting new clients!

That's a good idea NbyNW.

I am not in an off season right now, I'm still gearing up for IMAZ in Nov. But it is a good idea to encourage people to review their seasons and work on next seasons goals.

Thanks for the input.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Depending on your community, you might broaden your focus beyond sports related groups. There are a lot of other organizations that have weekly meetings where some poor soul has to come up with a speaker.

For instance, your local realtors probably have weekly meeting, as well as groups like Rotary, local Chamber, etc. We are always getting interesting talks from people who have nothing to do with the actual organization hosting the meetings. And don't forget to go to all kinds of towns in your local region.

I work straight commission in a relatively small community. What I notice is that although that person sitting next to me in church, or at a book signing, or whatever, may not need what I have right now...if I am on their radar, then when their sister-in-law needs what I have, they'll think of me and I'll get the referral. BUT, only if I am on their mind.

I also will just simply go door to door at every local BUSINESS to introduce myself as a fellow local business person. In a small community, it is good to have every business person know who you are, regardless of their type of business. They are all trying to make a living, too, and tend to be positive or friendly. And, if their sister happens to be mentioning to them she has always wanted to try a tri, they'll have a couple of your cards to give her, but you'd never know about that would-be client if you hadn't stopped in.

Talk about your business everywhere you go. It is not selling...it is talking enthusiastically with conviction and passion about loving what you do. I've had people call me up just to talk who don't really need what I have right now, but just to have a positive conversation, if you can believe that! They've told me that! :-)

Good luck. I believe you will be a very successful coach!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury