Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bothell area, WA
    Posts
    564

    Best On-Bike Bee Sting Remedies?

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    OK, I have had it! I had a bee zip down my jersey and sting me twice in less than two weeks -- once on the breast and the second time right in my cleavage, just where my messenger bag strap sits. The first time it kind of swelled up and later got itchy, but the second time it really swelled up and the itching was intolerable. This makes me think it would be worthwhile to carry something with me on my bike for immediate application after being stung.

    So: what do you ladies carry on your bike to treat bee/wasp stings?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

    Never give up. Never surrender.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    287
    I know the answer to this one!

    In the ER where I used to work, we kept a container of meat tenderizer close on hand for bee stings. It chemically neutralizes the venom.

    First, take something flat (like a credit card) and scrape the stinger out. DON'T pull the stinger out because you'll squeeze more venom into you. Then make a paste out of meat tenderizer and water (or gatorade or whatever you have in your bottle) and put it on the sting.

    It's a powder - you could easily carry a small envelope with you.

    Also, carry two 25mg benadryl tablets with you and take them if you are the slightest bit concerned you may be allergic. They will make you sleepy - and don't take more than two because benadryl overdoses are awful.

    Bee and/or wasp allergies are very common, they get worse every time you get stung, and often eventually become deadly. If you have hives or itching anywhere other than where you got stung, or your mouth starts to feel funny, get thee to an ER, pronto.
    Last edited by staceysue; 09-21-2009 at 05:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    8,403
    I got stung by a honeybee last week on my temple (the bee got caught between the edge of my helmet and my sunglasses frame).
    It hurt quite a bit at first, but faded to tolerable within ten minutes, then was just slightly sore and fairly itchy for a couple more days.
    The stinger came off on my fingernail when I instinctively scratched at the spot right after I was stung.
    I read about all kinds of bee sting remedies, and I hear that remedy A or B works well, then someone else says A and B don't do a thing.
    I didn't do anything and it got better on its own. The itch is a bit annoying for several days, but I lived.

    is there any way you can wear a jersey that doesn't have a gap at the cleavage or chest area, where the bee or wasp can fly in by accident? They usually sting when they get caught and can't get out, like what happened to me last week.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    649
    Hopefully you'll never get stung on the inside of your lip as I did a month ago while on my ride 20 miles from home. OUCH! That sucker hung onto my lip for dear life. I almost crashed but managed to pull back on the trail and continue the ride. It's the worst pain I've felt since childbirth. My lip was swelling and aching all the way home and even into the following day (and that was after benedryl and icing it).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,203
    Ssssting Stop. I don't know how many s's, but there's a few. You can get it at a drugstore.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,516
    There used to be little green tubes called sting kill (single app). Some pharmacies carry them. They work on bees and fire ants...

    Here ya go: http://www.sting-kill.com/

    CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    Hopefully you'll never get stung on the inside of your lip as I did a month ago while on my ride 20 miles from home. OUCH! That sucker hung onto my lip for dear life. I almost crashed but managed to pull back on the trail and continue the ride. It's the worst pain I've felt since childbirth. My lip was swelling and aching all the way home and even into the following day (and that was after benedryl and icing it).
    This happened to me this summer too. I didn't almost crash, but it was a scary moment because it happened just as I was being passed by a minivan on a quiet residential street (no shoulders, pretty narrow). I was consumed by anxiety that I would swallow the bee -- I was breathing hard at the time and it seemed like for a few seconds it was flying around in my mouth (I'm not 100% sure this actually happened, but it was a moment of panic because the second it hit my lip I knew it was a bee and it had stung me. Somehow it got spit out , and somehow I managed to hold my line and not steer into the minivan.

    Luckily there was a woman in her garden who saw me stop and probably heard me shout unintelligibly to my boyfriend. She let me go into her bathroom so I could take out the stinger. I don't think I've ever been stung before, so I was surprised at how large and intact the stinger was. I have always read that you are supposed to scrape the stinger out, so I expected it to be difficult to see/grasp. The stinger in my lip was maybe 3/4 of a centimeter long and quite easy to pull out. Half of my lower lip swelled up pretty big for 24 hours, then it got better. It wasn't really that big of a deal in the scheme of things, since I'm not allergic, but it made for a scary couple of seconds.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bothell area, WA
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    is there any way you can wear a jersey that doesn't have a gap at the cleavage or chest area, where the bee or wasp can fly in by accident? They usually sting when they get caught and can't get out, like what happened to me last week.
    I don't tend to wear jerseys unzipped much even in hot weather, and particularly now it's gotten cooler, I'm definitely not riding around letting it all hang out, so to speak . The first time I had it unzipped maybe 1/3 of the way (this is on a jersey with a zipper about like this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCN_9F161.html) so I could imagine something getting in there. The second time, I was being conservative and my jersey was barely unzipped at all -- just a tiny little bit at the collar because I don't like the zipper poking my neck. It was cool and I had a vest and arm warmers on, and I definitely didn't have my jersey wide open or anything. It was astonishing to me that a bee got in there at all.

    Thanks for all the bee sting remedies. I'll see what my local drugstore has in bike-bag-sized quantities. Needless to say, I'm riding with all-the-way zipped jerseys these days, too!
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

    Never give up. Never surrender.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    144
    I got stung by a yellow jacket a few weeks ago and the site is still raised and occasionally itches, but nothing serious... someone told me that the stinger might still be in there. How would I know?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,501
    If you're sure it was a yellow jacket, the only way the stinger would be in your body is maybe if you swatted it while it was stinging you, and the stinger broke off. Only honeybees break their stingers off inside their victims. If it was a honeybee stinger, it would be large enough to see - looks sort of like a wood sliver.

    Sounds like maybe the sting got a little bit infected, or possibly you're slightly allergic.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,365
    A plash from the water bottle helps. And scrape the stinger out if it is a bee sting.
    I can do five more miles.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    546
    There is a VERY common weed called English Plantain. Here in Pennsylvania, it grows any place the natural soil habitat has been disturbed - driveways, lawns, etc. I bet you have it in Massachusetts, too. Here's what it looks like -

    http://waddell.ci.manchester.ct.us/id_plantains.html

    Pick a leaf or two, squish it w/ a little water or spit, and rub it on the sting. I find it to give quick relief and it's usually growing right by where I got stung!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •