Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Bikes for migrant farm workers & more

To disable ads, please log-in.

I suppose this is typical in your area, that farmers who hire seasonal migrant workers to pick/process veggies/fruits may provide temporary use of bikes for the workers? It's a good idea. Photo shows one of the buildings where they live. These particular workers are probably situated for their area that is not as isolating....near a major tomato processing plant in a small town. Instead of living way out in the middle of nowhere.

This region tends to use workers (they are black) from the Carribbean. We saw them riding slowly around town (not surprisingly, without helmets)..a town where the traffic is light. But those trucks are wide.

Where I was a few days ago was in the heart of southern Ontario's veggie and fruit farm region (southwest of London, ON). This region is known for prolific tomato growing for commerical purposes, as shown in the trucks. I was told 1 truckload was worth $2,000CAN.

Last photo just incidental on history of the region: historically there have been some significant settlements of blacks ..who were fugitive /freed slaves via the Underground Railroad in the early 1800's. School building is the only school in Canada built by freed slaves ...in 1861 and was used by the black students, with black teachers for several decades thereafter. We met 1 of the descendants of the teachers, who is also assistant curator. Plots of land for some settlements were earned by the freed slaves and for awhile community became quite prosperous. Frederick Douglass, (if you know your U.S. black history) in the 1800's, came to this area to see for himself how the Canadian blacks did it.

Sorry for this digression.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.