Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started with the hot flashes in my late 30's, and my mom said "yep, that's when we all start in this family. They'll last about 15 years."

Grrrrr.

That's why I like to wear supportive tank-tops as underwear. You can strip down to the tank top without offending too many folks and the sports top fabrics are pretty good at wicking. I love LOVE the Terry Eurohalters. They give lots of air exposure yet have that high neck that keeps everything "safe for work." http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.e...form-submit=go

My hot flashes are definitely worse in warm weather and with alcohol. Exercise seems to lessen them. They can also come roaring in if I get embarrassed, like a blush gone wild.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    My hot flashes are definitely worse in warm weather and with alcohol. Exercise seems to lessen them. They can also come roaring in if I get embarrassed, like a blush gone wild.
    My flashes are worse with chocolate . I had chocolate last night & woke up twice completely soaked. Had to get DH to move over so I could get to a dry part of the bed.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Alcohol for me, too. It's a good reminder for me to stay off the stuff...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Since I started HRT, I sleep so much better- I get one warm flash in the morning about 6 am most days, and don't notice anything the rest of the time. Before the HRT- I went through some pretty miserable days and nights. I'm much happier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    The "chemicals" are bioidentical, not horse urine, btw. So, I don't consider them foreign chemicals.
    I just finished reading Mia Lundin's book. She is a huge proponent of bioidentical hormones. Problem is that its proving impossible to find anything by an M.D. on the subject.
    Comments on bioidenticals? success or issues with them? and can anyone quote medical studies or refer an M.D.
    Thanks!

There aren't many sources I really trust, but here are two.

Here's what the Breast Cancer Fund has to say about bioidentical hormones:

There are very few studies, and those that exist have somewhat contradictory findings regarding impact on breast cancer. On the other hand, differently aged women, different compounds of hormones, different duration of using hormone supplements...all make comparisons difficult.

We are concerned that even taking bioidentical hormones extends the lifetime exposure of women to estrogens and progesterone, given the extensive data linking duration of hormonal exposure with risk of breast cancer. We also recognize that that there are differences in biological potency of various component estrogens, and that pharmacies and/or companies differ in their recipes for compounding the bioidentical hormone components.

In short, we support inclusion of bioidentical hormones in ongoing studies of efficacy and health outcomes (positive and negative), especially for post-menopausal women using these compounds to address the symptoms of menopause.
    The National Women's Health Network is less equivocal:

All hormone products, bio-identical or not, are manufactured in a lab. While some are synthesized from “natural” sources (horse urine, plants, etc.), all go through extensive treatments in the lab to become hormone products. Some are synthesized to be exact copies of the body’s hormones (e.g., estradiol, estrone and progesterone); others are made into forms that are similar, such as progestins and conjugated equine estrogens. Unlike herbs, there’s no place in nature women can go to harvest hormones for home use. An interesting aspect to the natural vs. synthetic argument is the little known fact that many pharmacies that promote bio-identical hormones as natural alternatives actually buy the raw ingredients from pharmaceutical companies!

Are bio-identical hormones safer than other forms of HT? No. Are bio-identical hormones more effective than traditional HT? No, again.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You might be able to Google bio-identical hormones in the Google-scholar section. You'll find actual studies that you can look up. Basically, bio-identical hormones are made to be replicates of what we begin to loose. Compounding pharmacies can make them but there is some question about quality control - you don't really know that the specified levels are accurate. You can also get bio-identicals through a pharmacy. All require a doctor's prescription. Bio-identicals can be rubbed on (as in Diva Gel, my current one), applied as a patch (aka, Vivelle Dot) or taken orally.

I found an MD who specializes in menopause management. He has no problem with bio-identical hormones and we've been trying different types. My hot flashes are so intense that my calves actually sweat. I always have an array of clothing from heavy sweatshirts to sleeveless tops that I alternate during the day. I have annoying side effects from HRT, e.g., I can't wear my contacts because my eyes dry up, bloating, constipation & general malaise. BUT, I do sleep better and my hot flashes become bearable. My general mood improves and my memory becomes better. So, right now I'm on diva gel which I'm starting at half the regular dose. I go on & off - not good, I know. I've tried black cohosh, soy, you name it. They work a little bit, for a little while, but then I'm back to square one.

My doc says he has patients who are breast cancer survivors who still take estrogen. I went to a nurse practitioner who had breast cancer & said she'd never stop estrogen because it's a quality of life issue. So, some women are very adamant and I can't blame them.

BTW, The WHI study used Premarin which is horse urine. The FDA extrapolated that their findings extended to all hormone replacements. In 2005, the makers of Premarin petitioned the FDA to restrict the availability of bio-identical hormones.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I started with the hot flashes in my late 30's, and my mom said "yep, that's when we all start in this family. They'll last about 15 years."

Grrrrr.

That's why I like to wear supportive tank-tops as underwear. You can strip down to the tank top without offending too many folks and the sports top fabrics are pretty good at wicking. I love LOVE the Terry Eurohalters. They give lots of air exposure yet have that high neck that keeps everything "safe for work." http://www.teamestrogen.com/search.e...form-submit=go

ditto this advice- even when it is 5 degrees I have a tank top as my bottom layer so I can strip (: HRT kinda out of the question since my lumpectomy............

So glad I found this I have been having the hot flashes for some time. It is just great when I wake up and the sheets are to wet to get back into. I did not think of the acupuncture route. I also deal with the mood swings, they are lots of fun also.
    Great info here thanks all.

Thyroid?

Another possibility to consider is your Thyroid levels. I know that in my 40's and even now, when my thyroid levels are high (I have Grave's Disease or hyper-thyroid) I get extremely hot at different times of the day and at night too, although I really don't have night sweats per se...

Just something else to think about.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"