Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

6 Weeks of Commuting Complete

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a new bicycle commuter. Just started on during the 1st week of August. Since then I've biked into work about 4 days a week. My ride is 20 miles round-trip.

It's taken some time to figure out the best way to transport things without getting crushed or wrinkled. I'm using a garmet bag pannier that a friend gave to me (she no longer needs it) for the time being. It's a bit big and hard to get into during the day. But it works nicely.

My plan is to replace it with two home-made briefcase-type panniers. One for work clothes in the morning and one for lunch & work-out clothes during the day. Luckily my work has bike storage and locker area. I'll only carry one up to the office during the day.

Over the past few weeks, I've put rear and fronts lights & reflective tape on the bike so I can be seen by others & cars. Don't expect to do much riding when it's really dark but I know I'll be out at dusk this fall.

Re-taped my handlebars this weekend.

I really like biking to & from work. It's a great way to start and end the day.

I'm hoping that I can continue through most of the winter. I've got cold weather gear so that's not an issue.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    6 weeks of commuting regularly is awesome!!! Way to go! 10 miles each way is very impressive.
    I, too, hope to ride throughout most of the winter- but my commute is only 3 miles each way. I'm afraid 10 might just do me in.

Keep it up, and let us know how your homemade panniers turn out!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Congratulations! I can't wait to see your homemade panniers.

Congratulations! What a great way to start and end your day. Does it help your stress level?

How do you keep your hair looking good? Do you shower when you get to work?