Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    If we really wanted to ride Friday, October 2, I could bring KD's bike home with me Sunday and take it into the office on Friday (I drive on Fridays, and we've got a bike room)
    That would work except for the fact that I'm off on Wed, 9/30, and was planning to ride that day. I'll think about it between now and Sunday and decide whether I might want to go out hiking instead on Wednesday. Though if I do the DZ thing on Thursday night, I might not want to hang around downtown two nights in a row.

And Possegal's comment reminded me that I have no lights or reflectors on my bike...

Oy, too much to think about right now, this week at work fried my poor li'l pea brain.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    we're doing tour du port anyways on Sunday.

I think kmehrzad is going to be spending a long weekend biking around Rehobeth that weekend, so she may not be able to do Friday the 2nd.
    Hi Catriona,

You're right, I can't do the Friday night ride since I'll be in Rehoboth Beach then on a 'biking weekend.' I realize that a Thursday night moonlight ride is a bit untimely perhaps for some, but there'll probably be less traffic at that time than on a weekend. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I could do next Friday. It will spur me on to go get some lights for my new bike, which I keep telling myself I have to do and yet never actually DO.
    Possegal,

My first ever, brand new bicycle light came in the mail today. I researched lights for under $200 and came up with Busch & Mueller's Ixon IQ from Peter White Cycles in New Hampshire. The Ixon IQ has gotten very good reviews. Total cost of the lights, charger, converter and 4 NiMH batteries plus shipping came to $154. Can't wait to use it.

Check out the beam of light that it throws out: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    And Possegal's comment reminded me that I have no lights or reflectors on my bike...
    I could scare up an extra headlight and taillight or two...

I can't bring a bike on Metro until after 7pm
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Or before 4. You could come in to my office early and hang out, see a museum, have dinner, then ride.

it's not moonlight till after 7 pm. but there should be parking in dc.

I can scare up lights - they won't be as nice as Kmerzhads, but I have blinkie tail lights & some headlights. i'd just have to find the mounts that matched them all.

Zen, if you wanna bring me a bike on Wednesday - i'll take it to R's house with me, and stash it and bring it to DC on Friday night. You got 4 bikes, you won't miss one.

Kmerzhad, if you look over on cpakayaker, they're having an "upchuck" moonlight paddle & spaghetti feast on Thursday oct 1st - maybe we could do that. Or it's called something like that. cpa can be kinda snobby about the boats they want you to bring to events, so if you wanna borrow a sea kayak, I could bring one for you, I think.

Kali, if you wanna be complicated, I can meet up and grab your bike Wednesday evening. I'll be driving over to Silver spring.

If you look over on cpakayaker, they're having an "upchuck" moonlight paddle & spaghetti feast on Thursday oct 1st - maybe we could do that. Or it's called something like that. cpa can be kinda snobby about the boats they want you to bring to events, so if you wanna borrow a sea kayak, I could bring one for you, I think.

Catriona, I'm very interested. I went to their site and looked at what was posted. Do you think they'd turn their noses up at a Wilderness Systems Rascal? How far do they paddle out into the Potomac and are they paddling past any monuments? Whatever details you might have about this trip, I'd appreciate. You've done this trip before, I'm assuming? Thank you for mentioning it.

Kathy,

I actually haven't done the paddle before - I just saw it listed and had been thinking about it. I hadn't really realized I was gonna be down in Bethesda till I looked at my calendar today. I've been to some of their rolling sessions, but usually haven't paddled with them.

But basically... cpakayaker does not do rec boats - they want sea kayaks with bulkheads. I can grab R's paddle float, bilge pump, spray skirt, etc. and his boat if you wanna go. They actually had a bit of a cantankerous discussion in their forum recently where some guy wanted to be more inclusive of rec boats and beginner trips - with various people pointing out reasons they didn't and the dangers of rec boats in certain situations (open water, etc.) I've never had a rec boat, but found it pretty illuminating.

I can bring the gps, we'll see how fast they paddle or don't - after the dinner they're proposing, I'm guessing it won't be so fast. I have no idea what the route is - but I'm sure around columbia island and there's only so many places to go on the potomac there. and we can take off if they're boring and see some monuments.

Now I'm debating whether I'll fit into the parking deck at nih with kayaks on the roof. ha
    Last edited by Cataboo; 09-25-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    If you look over on cpakayaker, they're having an "upchuck" moonlight paddle & spaghetti feast on Thursday oct 1st - maybe we could do that. Or it's called something like that. cpa can be kinda snobby about the boats they want you to bring to events, so if you wanna borrow a sea kayak, I could bring one for you, I think.

Catriona, I'm very interested. I went to their site and looked at what was posted. Do you think they'd turn their noses up at a Wilderness Systems Rascal? How far do they paddle out into the Potomac and are they paddling past any monuments? Whatever details you might have about this trip, I'd appreciate. You've done this trip before, I'm assuming? Thank you for mentioning it.
    Catriona, I just heard from fpharris of the cpa kayakers and this is what they require for gear: Safety equipment required for a CPA paddle is:
    - personal flotation device (PFD)
    - paddle float
    - bilge pump
    - spray skirt
    - water tight bulkheads or flotation bags (to prevent kayak from sinking when capsized)
    Also, at this time of year we paddle well past dark so a light is a must! It can be a kayak light that sits on the kayak deck, flashlight, headlamp, or a "personal locator light" such as a Princeton-Tec Eco Flare or similar. Note: it should be waterproof!
    Well, I have the PFD and bilge pump but not all the other gear. It really sounds like it might be a lot of work for you gathering all this gear, if in fact you have two of just about everything. If it's too much, I'll pass on this trip.

Kathy,

It's not a biggie. Most of this stuff has been riding around in my car the last couple weeks since I've been taking my brother out paddling the last couple of weekends. and *cough* if you haven't noticed, I tend to accumulate too much gear for the stuff I like to do. the kayak has built in bulkheads. lights, I actually just use bike lights or headlamps mostly for my kayak, they're waterproof. which is why I can rustle up spare bike lights if people need 'em for friday. i just gotta remember where I stashed the handlebar mounts (not necessary on the kayak)

R's gotta work late next week for some big deadline, so he's not using his gear that night anyways.

Not sure if you noticed that I replied while you were replying up there.

I'll put you in charge of bringing some food to contribute if you want
    Last edited by Cataboo; 09-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Kathy,

It's not a biggie. Most of this stuff has been riding around in my car the last couple weeks since I've been taking my brother out paddling the last couple of weekends. and *cough* if you haven't noticed, I tend to accumulate too much gear for the stuff I like to do. the kayak has built in bulkheads. lights, I actually just use bike lights or headlamps mostly for my kayak, they're waterproof. which is why I can rustle up spare bike lights if people need 'em for friday. i just gotta remember where I stashed the handlebar mounts (not necessary on the kayak)

R's gotta work late next week for some big deadline, so he's not using his gear that night anyways.

Not sure if you noticed that I replied while you were replying up there.

I'll put you in charge of bringing some food to contribute if you want
    Yep, I saw your reply after I submitted mine. So, your car is the 'catch all' for your gear, eh? That tends to happen, especially if you're using the stuff often. Sounds like I'll be set using Reggie's kayak, your lights, etc. (Thanks for your effort in making this happen.) Bringing food will not be a problem. I'll take a look again at what's needed and let the group know I'll be bringing food for you and me.

it's not moonlight till after 7 pm. but there should be parking in dc.
    If I drove I wouldn't get there until 10.
    I know my way around the Metro, though.

So we're doing this when?
    A Thursday?
    I have to get up for a busy day of unemployment on Friday.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

yay! I should have a funfilled extended weekend next week.

Yeah, the meeting looks like I'll get out at 5:15 - so I'll just head straight over to COlumbia island then - I don't think I'd have time to stop for food and I probably don't want to leave food in the car all day. So it's great if you can do that.

Okay, back to the monument tour - Kali & Zen, let me know if I'm hauling your bikes around. and if someone needs lights, let me know and I'll go try to match lights to mounting brackets.

If I drove I wouldn't get there until 10.
    I know my way around the Metro, though.

So we're doing this when?
    A Thursday?
    I have to get up for a busy day of unemployment on Friday.
    We're doing it on Friday, Oct 2nd - so you won't have to get up early for your busy day off from unemployment on Saturday.

I can take one of your bikes from you on Wednesday if you want, or you should go to dc early & hang out with db.