Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinning shoes that fits my canoes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I went to MEC and searched for a shoe that will work in spinning class. I am a size 8 and a wide foot (bunions). They had Keen mountain shoes that seemed to fit the bill because they are a wide fit with a squarish toe box. But when I got home and tried them a bit more, I know that the toes move a little too much. They will have to go back, I know I will have problems with them.

I have read that spinning shoes need to be fairly stiff. Any recommendations, particularly from those who have the problem of wide feet or bunions?

Huh?

What do you mean by "I have read that spinning shoes need to be fairly stiff."?
    Why would they need to be particularly stiff or what's stiffer than any other, outdoor, cycling shoe?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

You plan to clip in on the spinning bike, right? I think any shoe that allows SPD cleats would work. Look at Shimano - they have some Mountain Bike shoes that are pretty reasonable and will accept the SPD cleat. I think a lot of gals on TE also recommend the Sidi Dominator -- but my experience with Sidi is that they are narrow. I have a very narrow foot and my spinning shoes are Sidi Genius.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

I have a very wide forefoot (no bunions though) and I'm fine in Specialized Torch shoes.

But I ride outdoors exclusively. My soles are nylon, so they're not super stiff. But I'm with alpinerabbit, I don't know why you'd need extra stiff shoes for indoors. I think most people, if they have a dedicated pair of spinning shoes, probably spend less on those than they do on their outdoor shoes, and wouldn't spring for carbon. But what do I know.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Regarding the stiff comment, I read that somewhere while researching spinning shoes - it was basically a comment about a person's shoe was too flexible, that they needed a stiffer show. I know VERY little about shoes so take that into consideration - I have never owned a cycling shoe (just got back into cycling this year) and I do not know what I am talking about! Help!

Just rememebered where I saw that comment now: ehow.com - How to Buy Spinning Shoes: "Select a Spinning shoe that has a rigid, strong sole. This type of sole is designed to stabilize and support your foot when you're in a climb while preventing tired, cramped feet during and after class."

bike shoes are supposed to be stiff too!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Bike shoes are stiff. To E.E.: I would go with a mountain bike shoe or a biking shoe you can easily walk in. Ask for SPD toe clips (remember the word "spud").

Good luck, You're doing great.
    The Journey is the Reward.

The review was probably comparing spinning shoes to sneakers.

I have a wide foot too. Sidi's are great but a tad expensive (I think) for spinning. Performance Bike has their own brand (my brain hasn't kicked in yet) and I have a pair for spinning. They are wide & fit nicely.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to invest big bucks in a spinning shoe.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama - would you use your spinning shoe for your everyday riding? Remember, I know nothing about this! My road bike came with mountain bike clip pedals, which I have not installed yet. I believe they are SPD, but not sure. Whatever comes with the Giant Avail (Crank Brother Smarty Pedals I think). I was putting off installing them because I have a child that I ride with who can be unpredictable, and being clipped in is just one more thing to prevent me from stopping fast. (Example: the huge bruise on my leg when we were riding on our hybrids which have the baskets on the pedals - my son was in front of me, he stopped out of the blue - my leg stopped me from plowing into him, but at a price).

I guess because I have wide feet I have gotten used to having to spend the money to get comfort (I wear orthotic inserts and BEAUTIFUL orthotic shoes (sarcasm) - I would not mind spending the dollars on SIDI shoes, but I would also want to take them on the road. Is that reasonable, or is there something I am missing? The reason I say SIDI is because I saw a pair featured in the women's issue of Bicycling which stated that they were good for wide feet (the Dominator).

My thoughts...

Sidi's run narrow (to me). I need a wide toe-box area, but a narrower heel...so a all-around wide shoe won't work for me. For spinning, I use a pair of Specialized Riata MTB shoes (paid about $89).

Most spin bikes use standard SPD pedals...which are different from Crank Brothers Smarty pedals...or more specifically, the cleat is different. Yes, they are both a 2-bolt pattern cleat, but different nonetheless. So if your bike did indeed come with the CB Smarty's, you would NOT be able to use the same shoe for both spinning and outdoor riding...just keep that in mind. For my outdoor riding road shoes, I wear Northwave Velvet SBS road shoes. They have a nice, wide toe-box...but a snugger heel which works well for me.

Why not try mens cycling shoes? I wear mens Keen's sandals because I have wide feet and they are perfect. I think my hiking shoes are mens too.

If the cleats were the same, yes, I would use the same shoe.

Regarding Bug & Sidi's - my foot is wide with a narrow heel too & Sidi's fit me. Different strokes...eh?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I wear the same shoes for my road bike and for when I spin. I plan to get new ones for the road bike and just use these ones for spinning, but I've been using the same shoes for both for 2 yrs and I have no complaints.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

carinapir - Just picked up some men's Sidi today! Got them at MEC, they tell me that I can try them and if I am not happy, I can bring them back. Doesn't get much better than that...