Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question hill climbing technique

To disable ads, please log-in.

i have found a lot of short rolling hills around here and am curious about the proper technique.

do i slide my butt back further in the seat, gear down and stay seated?

do i come out of the seat and do a standing climb? and if so, how is my weight supposed to be distributed?

i am trying to put the least amount of pressure and strain on my knees as possible.

i have a feeling there are a few experts out there (missliz). picking everyone's brain is what i have become really good at.

Not an expert by any measure but here's how I ride. If it's a short hill and I want to maintain a certain speed and gear I'll get out of the saddle if I need to. I try to push my butt back and continue with as much of a circle motion as possible (I'm on a tandem and circles are easier on my captain ) I really love the feeling of power I get when I do this. But it seems to work best on rolling hills.

What I have read about hill climbing seems to say you use less energy if you stay in the saddle, so on long hills I tend to stay down and I still try to be further back on my saddle - that seems to engage the hamstrings more. I find the higher my cadence the better my knees feel - so if that means gearing down - we do.

Good luck and have fun!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

You aren't on a mountain bike are you...? There are some additional techinques to use off trail but I think you are road riding. (?)
    Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Smile

yes, i am a road rider. i have to hottest bike, and it's better than any boyfriend. such great quality time together, he doesn't get in my face, and he is always there for me when i am ready to go.

You already have some good responses, but I wanted to add my favorite. In addition to pushing your butt back, concentrate on the movement coming from your hip, not your knees or ankles. You'll get more power, a smoother stroke and a faster ascent. Gluteal pushing is primary, but also try to pull back with your hamstrings & up with your hip flexors. That way your entire leg muscle group works easier.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Talking

thanks dogmama, i will try that. such good advice.

thank you again