Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 15 of 252 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

you should eat better when you are working long hours. It'll be easier to focus and you'll make less mistakes...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    i know, i know...I just did have a nice dinner with spaghetti and veggies.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Ugh.
    I took the day off today to attend the retirement luncheon for a dear friend of mine on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (it's a 2 hour drive to the restaurant, which is why it took the whole day). I scoped out the menu of the place on line - it all looked yummy - so I had a very light breakfast, anticipating a HUGE lunch. We got into town early, and we found the guest of honor at the local maritime museum. On a lark, I said to him "Hey, let's go to the restaurant before anyone gets there, and have a Bloody Mary while we're waiting!"
    Well, they all thought that was just about the best idea since sliced bread!!
    So off we went.
    It ended up being a bloody day, indeed, for Mary, as pretty much all of the guests thought that sounded just fine!
    And we didn't eat off the menu -- our guest of honor pre-ordered a buffet of local faves, including oyster stew (yum!), chicken Chesapeake (with lump crab, of course), rockfish, and various local and in-season veges. And cheesecake for dessert.
    Oh, my. It was a feast to bust a gut. I don't think I'll be reporting in for that weight loss challenge this week!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndirelah View Post
    I just discovered sweet potatoes.... YUM!!!! Stuck it in the oven for 45 mins or so, put some cinnamon one it, so good. Also had some baked zucchini and yellow squash with italian seasoning, garlic powder and minced onions.

I can't cook, but Im trying to learn some very-very-very easy and healthy options. Ive been eating raw veggies and fruits (and not so good stuff on the weekends) and Im exhausted, not making it through work outs.
    Enjoy the learning process!
    When you start roasting garlic cloves with the the zuchhini, it gets even yummier. Just take a couple of cloves (not the whole bulb if you don't like that much garlic) and cover lightly with foil, put on same sheet/ dish that has your zucchini. Might take abit longer than 45 min.

slice of black olive bread, slice of soy cheese, more tea
    Supper- noodles lightly stir fried with chili paste, soy bean garlic paste, snowpeas, broccoli, onions, garlic, ginger root. (homemade)
    Banana, tea with milk

Today: 16 kms. cycling
    Breakfast- same as above
    Snacks- almond biscotti, coffee with milk
    slice of black olive bread, 2 slices of soy cheese
    Supper - steamed salmon fillet with abit of soy sauce, oil, ginger root & minced green onion; buckwheat noodles on side, blanched baby bok choy.
    Raisins, tea with milk

Salmon dish takes 20 min. to prepare and cook, baby bok choy took 10 min. to wash and cook, buckwheat noodles took 15 min. to cook and drain. In total, supper took half an hr. from start to dinner table.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-19-2009 at 05:37 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yummy dinner tonight - local eggs scrambled, with a thin sliver of goat cheese on top (called Asia Luv - has sesame, ginger, etc) nestled up against a pile of (again locally grown) shitake mushrooms sauteed. A big pile of sauteed zucchini on the side. All from within 60 miles of home! Yahoo!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Brunch (I got up WAAY late today...): Cereal with 1% milk
    S: Pumpkin spice latte.
    D: Chicken cooked with onions and carrots, rice, cabbage. It would have been healthy if I hadn't insisted on cooking the onion+carrots...and the cabbage...and finishing the sauce for the chicken with butter. I think I used about a tablespoon and a half. It was really good and got the cabbage out of the fridge, though. Dessert was more chocolate than I care to admit.

I made a great dinner last night. Ground turkey mixed with on egg and chopped kale that I had previously cooked with olive oil and garlic. I made that into turkey-burgers. Along side that, I had mashed sweet potatoes with a bit of butter. I bought a bunch of sweet potatoes earlier in the week and baked them all and put them in the fridge. That way, all I have to do is heat them up quickly.

I also had some peas--they were canned but good, small, young peas.

And homemade bread, of course. And red wine, of course.

A delicious and healthy meal with lots of veggies. I didn't have any dessert--I was full!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Yummy dinner tonight - local eggs scrambled, with a thin sliver of goat cheese on top (called Asia Luv - has sesame, ginger, etc) nestled up against a pile of (again locally grown) shitake mushrooms sauteed. A big pile of sauteed zucchini on the side. All from within 60 miles of home! Yahoo!
    Yum...is the farmer's market where I met you still going on in the winter (location not disclosed here)? I'll be in town next week and was thinking of going, if it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Yum...is the farmer's market where I met you still going on in the winter (location not disclosed here)? I'll be in town next week and was thinking of going, if it's open.
    It's open 8-12 this coming Saturday (11/21), Tuesday the 24th from 3-5:30 (the Turkey Day market!), and is closed for the Saturday after Thanksgiving (guess they figure everyone will still be stuffed!). It opens back up on 12/5, but the hours change to 10-12 for the winter. Hope you can make it - there's still lots of yummy food (we're getting great lettuce, good winter greens, there will be cheese, there might be one more week of mushrooms, and then they are gone for the season, and, of course, pies)!

I'm definitely going to have to borrow your Turkey Burger idea - it sounds fabulous!!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I skipped breakfast this morning...
    Lunch: cup of coffee and a scone from Starbucks
    S: a honeycrisp apple
    Dinner: A leftover burger patty from last night broken up and mixed with leftover rice. It wasn't bad, considering the difference between the seasoning in the rice (it was green rice) and that in the burger. A couple of Cadbury's chocolate-covered digestives for dessert, and I think I'll follow that up with an apple.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Stir fry is a great way to use up leftover veges.
    A bit of onion, left over broccoli, a couple sections of bell pepper, and a single salmon fillet, stir fried with soy sauce and wasabi, over rice.
    Just enough to feed 2 with no leftovers.
    Yum.

Today was a travel day for me. Curious how others manage healthy eating during travel, since the season is upon us. I typically don't have much of an appetite when I am sitting on planes all day, but I do need to have something in my stomach.

Coffee and a stale donut for breakfast, then an hour of Pilates then straight to the airport. I only had time to get another coffee and a ham/swiss ciabatta sandwich at Starbucks. The sandwich was so-so, but at least it was better than the snack box (three different kinds of crackers, chips, fake cheese spread) that they offered. Ate half the sandwich before getting on flight #1, which was four hours. Ate the second half before getting on flight #2.

Maybe it was the airports I was passing through today, but NOTHING looked appetizing, so I chose portability above all.

Had a nice bowl of Taiwanese rice porridge when I finally arrived at my parents' place.

Yesterday:
    B: 2 scrambled eggs in an omelet with goat cheese and salsa. One corn tortilla, browned on the gas burner. very small glass of blueberry juice

I admit to nibbling as I was preparing bread stuffing for turkey and cranberry mold (mostly some of the baguette I was using)

L: veggie roll up at local french bistro. it had hummus and a variety of beans, veggies.
    (we rode to the bistro on the Jamis' in a drizzle that became more pronounced on the way home... 8.9 miles)

D: small sandwich of baked eggplant, goat cheese, and yellow pepper on left over baguette, with a small bowl of sweet potato soup, 2 pieces of dark chocolate
    s: about half a slice of left over raisin bread challah french toast

Today: B: organic oatmeal with flax seed and skim milk, tomato, low salt ham (3 slices) and a slice of low fat provolone. small glass of grapefruit juice, 2 cups of coffee

Trying to mentally prepare myself to not eat too much later today and to get in at least 12 miles on the bike or a 3 mile walk

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Yesterday: 18 kms.

B- oatmeal, tea with milk, 1 tangerine
    Snacks- coffee with milk, blueberry scone
    Snack/Supper -2 granola bars, 1 hot chocolate, 2 coffees (was manning a fall bike to work wk. commuter station table)
    - small cinnamon swirl bun with no icing (Starbuck's version) No time to eat more before an evening lecture.
    Hanging out too long with other fellow cyclists derailed a proper supper.
    tea with milk
    Supper - 2 pork gyoza, big bowl of laska mushroom soup (has a bit of coconut milk) with lean Chinese barbecued pork slices and rice vermicelli, pot of jasmine tea (a particular brand that has wonderful jasmine floral aroma), cappucino ice cream.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-27-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Breakfast: Steel Cut Oats with raisins. Grapefruit.

pre-ride snack: mini Lara Bar
    During 51 mile ride: clif bar, kashi tlc bar, gu2o (500 cals total)

lunch: homemade carrot ginger soup. 1 slice homemade bread.

dinner: huge green salad with 3 oz turkey breast (leftover from Thursday) and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Steamed broccoli & cauliflower with a tablespoon of cranberry sauce.

I'm still hungry, but that's just tough luck for me. I overindulged on Thanksgiving and now need to do damage control. Think I'll go have a cup of tea.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592