Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 117 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 3767

To disable ads, please log-in.

B: omelette with 2 turkey-sage breakfast sausages, goat cheese, marinara
    L: 1/4 lb. of chicken salad with red grapes and almonds from the Concord Cheese Shop. This place has the best salads around. This was during the lunch break at the club bike workshop we were presenting at... some of the other presenters grilled us about why we weren't eating the crappy sandwiches they provided for us.
    S: packet of nuts and cranberries,one piece of Iberico cheese
    D: OK, went to the North End, had a stressful drive and time finding space in the parking garage, so we did have a nice walk to the restaurant.
    DH and I shared parts of the 3 course Restaurant Week menu. Shared an eggplant/mozzarella melanzzine and a delicious blood orange salad. Perfect portion sizes. I ordered farfalle with spring veggies for my main course. It was delicious, and it was easy to only eat half, since there was cream sauce involved. I actually found myself scraping the sauce off.
    Had about 2 glasses of red wine and we split the most delicious piece of flourless chocolate cake.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Rode today so had a target of 2000 calories, didn't meet it but didn't do too badly:

B: 2 egg whites, 1 cup steel cut oats with fresh blueberries + a bit of PB, skim milk and coffee

L: Cliff bar + 2 small cups of coffee at church. Then I went to a baby shower at a hospital (she is on total bed rest at the hospital until she gives birth/they induce) - had a strawberry, 3 Townhouse crackers with a bit of cheese and two tiny roast beef roll-ups with cream cheese

Pre-ride snack: banana/pb sammy on one slice sprouted wheat bread

1 hour pretty hard ride

D: roasted skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice, roasted kale, sauteed bok choy and mushrooms in olive oil, 6 almonds and a few raisins, 1 beer (pretty shocking how many calories were in this meal I needed them but still!

Just a little over 1,800 calories consumed, just a tad bit more fat than I needed but other than that I won't complain. Hard to really calculate the calories from what little I had at the shower, so I may be closer to my goal than I know.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-26-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: correction

BTW, I am going on record that I LOVE bok choy, and also watercress! I am trying new veggies since I seriously needed to add them to my diet.

B: egg white frittata with water chestnuts, low fat cheddar, 2 breakfast turkey sausage, coffee
    S: grazed on almonds, maybe 6-8 and 2 dried apricots before 30 minute run-walk
    L: half of a whole wheat veggie wrap/burrito with zucchini, black beans, cheese, pico de gallo
    S: handful of almonds and dried cranberries
    D: red snapper with grape tomatoes in balsamic reduction, roasted brussel sprouts with champagne vinaigrette dressing, roasted butternut squash, 2 squares chocolate
    S: slice of whole wheat bread
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    BTW, I am going on record that I LOVE bok choy, and also watercress! I am trying new veggies since I seriously needed to add them to my diet.
    I love bok choy but need to get better at cooking it. I've never been good at stir-frying, which is strange because it should be easy.

I saw watercress in Chinatown today and wondered what to do with it. Do you cook it?

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Heh, I hate bok choy. Never tried watercress, though. What do you do with it?

Brunch: Tea with half-and-half and sugar, bowl of cereal with 1%
    S: 1 chocolate chip oatmeal cookie (with walnuts)...fresh out of the oven. Mmmm.
    D: Flank steak (Beef, how I've missed you!) and udon noodles with a soy sauce-based dipping sauce, daikon radish slices, salad. Holy carbohydrate overload, Batman!, but so good. Also, I have leftovers, so I can ride and eat them for lunch...that would be a useful application of carbs!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I love bok choy but need to get better at cooking it. I've never been good at stir-frying, which is strange because it should be easy.

I saw watercress in Chinatown today and wondered what to do with it. Do you cook it?
    I just sautee bok choy in a bit of olive oil (or olive oil spray) and often include minced garlic and mushrooms. It is great raw as well - I love that you can eat the entire thing, no waste of leaves or stalks. It is great raw as well, and I was surprised to find out that it is quite good for you. It isn't the crunchy water that celery is.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Heh, I hate bok choy. Never tried watercress, though. What do you do with it?
    Watercress is awesome! I've been told that in Europe when you order salad that often what you get is watercress rather than what we would consider more traditional lettuce. I don't know about that, perhaps one of our European members could confirm this? It is great raw in salad or sandwiches, it is great sauteed with shallots or green onions with a bit of olive oil.

Not all stores carry it, but I've had no problem finding it. Some say it is peppery - I don't find the flavor strong enough to call it that, but it is pretty tasty. Quite nutritious as well, and inexpensive.

Watercress is definitely punchy, kind of like radishes. I like putting it in my cold avocado soup.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

2 eggs, hashbrowns, 1 piece wg toast, oj, coffee
    Two tennis matches; lunch on site
    L: 1/2 chibatta bread sandwich with turkey/tomato; fruit oranges, strawberries
    Snack: 1 beer
    D: meatballs with mushroom, onion sauce, boiled potatoes, broccoli, 2 glasses prosecco

5-6 walnuts before 6 AM morning run-walk
    B: 4 slices of lox with cream cheese rolled up inside, tomato, coffee, blueberries
    L: left over half of veggie wrap/burrito, with black beans, zucchini, cheese, salsa, cole slaw, apple
    S: packet of nuts and cranberries
    D: veal, pan sauteed, with onions, garlic, tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, salad with goat cheese, cranberries, and walnuts, 2 squares of dark chocolate, glass of wine
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Too many carbs today, I think.

B: Mocha, a bagel and cream cheese
    L: Leftover flank steak and noodles with sauce from yesterday, 1 Oreo
    S: Big bite of Clif bar...then I put it down somewhere and couldn't find it.
    14.8-mile ride--7 shot blocks!, water
    S: Rest of the Clif bar, followed by the last of the noodles from lunch while I cooked dinner
    D: Chicken stir fry: Chicken breast, carrot, onion, celery, broccoli, snow peas, green onion, yellow bell pepper, a few chunks of pineapple, red chili flakes and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds...over brown rice.

If I'm going to start riding after class, I think I'm going to have to start keeping a jar of peanut butter somewhere in the department and bring apple slices or a banana with me... Or just have a snack after lunch.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

breakfast:
    apple
    bowl of oatmeal (very lightly sweetened)

mid-morning snack:
    1/2 of steamed rice (I work in a thai kitchen... it's easy)

lunch:
    stir-fried veggies and tofu
    1 Vietnamese spring roll (rice paper filled with fresh veggies and herbs, not fried)

afternoon snack:
    muffin... yum

dinner:
    2 scrambled eggs with some random fridge veggies thrown in
    (onion, tomato, kale, parsley, green beans, celery greens)

I only cycled to work this morning, about 3.5 miles, because the wind has been just terrible today.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    If I'm going to start riding after class, I think I'm going to have to start keeping a jar of peanut butter somewhere in the department and bring apple slices or a banana with me... Or just have a snack after lunch.
    I've found over the last couple of years that it is a lot easier to just keep appropriate snack food with me. It greatly resists the temptation to eat things I shouldn't...On ride days it is even more important, but of course we each have to figure out what works for us. It makes it easier if you have access to a fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post

My mom taught me as a kid that you cut the stems off the bok choy and stir fry them first until they're a bright green color and throw the leaves in to finish cooking. Something about the stems taking longer to cook. Bok choy is probably the only green leafy veg I eat, usually stir fried with loads of garlic and really hot chili peppers.

Watercress can be thrown into salads, this sandwich shop used to put tender watercress leaves into the egg salad sandwiches. Yum. I slow cook it with pork ribs and Chinese red dates to make soup. According to Chinese lore, that soup is good for your lungs. I just think it's darned tasty.

Today's food:
    Breakfast: 1 cup low fat yogurt, 1 cup cereal drink
    Workout: Running after my students in a swimming pool. Otherwise known as aqua-running!
    Snack: peanut butter on wholewheat bread
    Lunch: Alphabet pasta in tomato sauce with spinach and pork sausages
    Snack: low fat yogurt and half a muesli bar
    Dinner: Carrot and meatball soup with pasta
    Last edited by alexis_the_tiny; 03-27-2012 at 04:24 AM.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

B: special K, strawberries, 1% milk, coffee
    Snack: banana
    Lunch: small helping of enchilada casserole, rice
    Dinner: rice, 1 chicken thigh cooked in peppers/artichokes/onions/tomato sauce, 1 glass prosecco
    2 snack pieces of chocolate