Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 177 of 252 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3776

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wednesday

B: eggs scrambled with sausage, rutabaga and onions, clementine, black coffee
    L: banana, 1/2 pear, beef jerky (grass-fed/sugar free), mixed nuts
    D: big huge salad topped with chicken (need my veggies for the day!!)

Lunch was unplanned since I ended up having to make a bunch of calls and couldn't even get away to heat up what I'd brought with me!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I need to learn how to tolerate coffee without my little bit of heavy cream....

I've considered trying rutabaga but so far haven't done so. What do you do with it, roast it?

B: reading GLC's breakfast made me crave hash... see lunch; for breakfast I had 3 turkey sausages, and 4 slices of lox stuffed with a very small amount of veggie cream cheese. If anyone can think of a non-dairy filling, let me know. I am having enough trouble not having a whole wheat bagel once a week! Had a small bowl of blueberries and strawberries
    I went to the store and bought a few things.
    L: one sweet potato, mixed up with 3 slices turkey breast, kale, and egg whites, with an orange
    S: handful of walnuts
    D: lamb meatballs over zucchini, with mint pesto and a salad with lettuce, grape tomatoes, green onion, vinaigrette
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    B: reading GLC's breakfast made me crave hash... see lunch; for breakfast I had 3 turkey sausages, and 4 slices of lox stuffed with a very small amount of veggie cream cheese. If anyone can think of a non-dairy filling, let me know. I am having enough trouble not having a whole wheat bagel once a week! Had a small bowl of blueberries and strawberries
    I went to the store and bought a few things.
    L: one sweet potato, mixed up with 3 slices turkey breast, kale, and egg whites, with an orange
    S: handful of walnuts
    D: lamb meatballs over zucchini, with mint pesto and a salad with lettuce, grape tomatoes, green onion, vinaigrette
    Vegan Goat Cheese? http://www.cestlavegan.com/2009/10/p...w-goat-cheese/ If you're avoiding canola, I bet it would be good with just about any oil - perhaps a nut oil? It comes out lemony - which might be nice for salmon. Maybe with some dill?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Catrin - for the rutabega - I shredded it and then browned it in a pan of bacon fat with finely diced onions...kind of like hash browns. It was the leftovers that I tossed into the eggs. Yum! I got the idea from here:
    http://paleomg.com/rutabaga-egg-nests/
    I started drinking my coffee black by putting it in a travel mug with a lid so that I couldn't see it. And you want good quality, strong coffee, too. Once I did that for 30 days, I stopped liking cream in it. I also know of a lot of people who love coconut milk in their coffee. I never did, but maybe that's an option for you?

Crankin - I've heard of vegans making cheese and spreads and stuff out of cashews. I've never done it but I'm going to attempt a 'cheesecake' as my birthday treat for this weekend: http://mynewroots.org/site/2011/01/r...w-dreamcake-2/
    Perhaps there is a good 'cream cheese' recipe out there somewhere?

I will look at the ingredients in the vegan cream cheese. If it's full of soy or weird additives, I am fine with using a small amount of cream cheese. Just being realistic for myself.
    Wow, I have always been a black coffee drinker. I can barely taste the coffee with more than a drip of milk or cream in there. A few years ago, I got DH to stop pouring sugar and a ton of milk in his coffee. He lost 10 lbs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The one I posted (vegan goat cheese) is made from raw cashews, canola oil (I'm sure you could sub this), lemon juice, water, salt and pepper. Pretty straightforward, nothing weird - and very tasty. My entire family enjoyed it over the holidays (made it for an appetizer for a cheese allergic family member).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

B: huge breakfast two eggs, pork green chili sauce, hashbrowns, beans, tortilla - ate about 1/2 and it was still huge!
    L: none
    While playing tennis a few bites of a cliff bar
    D: beef stroganoff, egg noodles, asparagus, biscuit, 1 glass red wine
    2 chocolate chip cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    The one I posted (vegan goat cheese) is made from raw cashews, canola oil (I'm sure you could sub this), lemon juice, water, salt and pepper. Pretty straightforward, nothing weird - and very tasty. My entire family enjoyed it over the holidays (made it for an appetizer for a cheese allergic family member).
    I didn't look at the recipe you posted until today, but I'm totally trying that! AND the almond feta she made as well. I don't really miss cheese at all, but it adds such a depth of flavor to salads that I'd like to have an option available. I used to just use a little of the real stuff, but if this is good enough, I won't need to. Thanks for posting it!!

Thanks for the link GLC, I need to try rutabaga. I'd forgotten about coconut milk, I DO like it but prefer cream. I do use good quality coffee, but will likely need to make it less strong if I am going to back off of cream for a month. I don't put sugar in it so that isn't an issue.

Today (rest day)

Overslept, so breakfast was a protein shake that I made for yesterday's workout and forgot it at home.
    S: 1 boiled egg, 1 slice side pork
    L: big salad and a cup of chili
    D: citrus carnitas and sauteed swiss chard along with a few almonds and pecans

I just got a chance to check out that rutabaga hash recipe - mmmmm I think I will try that Saturday morning. Any tips on what to look for when I am shopping for rutabagas?
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-07-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Woke up still sick... no exercise probably until Saturday or Sunday

B: 2 turkey sausages, sweet potato, an orange, coffee, 4 oz. almond milk
    L: salad with ham, grape tomatoes, vinaigrette, an apple
    S: blueberries, almonds, cranberries
    D: 2 thin pork chops sauteed in sesame oil with coconut aminos and spicy chili sauce, broccoli and red peppers with sesame seeds
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, what sort of chili sauce are you using? Your dinner sounds really good.

B: bowl of cereal with 1%, glass of protein drink
    14.7 mile bike ride on the new bike, some off-road
    S: 2 thick slices sourdough with a generous amount of butter (last of the loaf--no point keeping it around!)
    D: 3 slices uncured bacon (Kroger consistently carries the Hormel stuff, which isn't bad), 2 small potatoes and the rest of the box of baby spinach cooked in bacon drippings.
    S: 5 mini chocolate caramels, green tea latte
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

I just got a chance to check out that rutabaga hash recipe - mmmmm I think I will try that Saturday morning. Any tips on what to look for when I am shopping for rutabagas?
    It's been a couple years since I last bought them, but you probably don't want the really big ones or the really tiny ones because they're woody. Also avoid the ones with cut marks or cracks.
    They do seem to need longer cooking times than other root veg. The only way I've cooked them is roasting them with other not-potato root veggies and onions, then pouring apple cider over the top and letting them cook a little longer. Mmmm. (Rutabaga is now no longer a word.)

Don't take this the wrong way, Paleo people, but: I note the lack of regular potatoes. Why are things like rutabagas that fill the same role as a potato (i.e., a starch reservoir) okay, but not potatoes?

("Potato" and "rutabaga" are no longer words...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have no idea how to buy a rutabaga but I must have gotten lucky. I knew not to get really huge ones but other than that, it was a guess! I did the 'hash browns' in small batches, some with bacon fat, others with clarified butter and found that both were good but I got a better browning with the butter.

Owlie - there really isn't a good reason not to eat white potatoes other than their fairly feeble nutritional profile. It's not the starch because sweet potatoes, winter squash, root veggies and a host of other starchy things are fine.

Personally, I try to avoid them simply because I love them so much, I'll overeat them. I have a very unhealthy obsession with white potatoes!

Today was a bleh day for me. I slept awful last night (late night moving and coffee after dinner is a bad combination!) and because I was tired all day, I really didn't care much about my food.

B: leftover sweet potato, jalapeno, sausage hash and a hard boiled egg, clementine, black coffee
    L: lara bar, hard boiled egg, clementine (see? useless meal!!)
    S: beef jerkey
    D: scrambled eggs topped with salsa and a side of blueberries

Nothing non-compliant but my nutritional profile for the day is lame. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I have no idea how to buy a rutabaga but I must have gotten lucky. I knew not to get really huge ones but other than that, it was a guess! I did the 'hash browns' in small batches, some with bacon fat, others with clarified butter and found that both were good but I got a better browning with the butter.

Owlie - there really isn't a good reason not to eat white potatoes other than their fairly feeble nutritional profile. It's not the starch because sweet potatoes, winter squash, root veggies and a host of other starchy things are fine.

Personally, I try to avoid them simply because I love them so much, I'll overeat them. I have a very unhealthy obsession with white potatoes!

Today was a bleh day for me. I slept awful last night (late night moving and coffee after dinner is a bad combination!) and because I was tired all day, I really didn't care much about my food.

B: leftover sweet potato, jalapeno, sausage hash and a hard boiled egg, clementine, black coffee
    L: lara bar, hard boiled egg, clementine (see? useless meal!!)
    S: beef jerkey
    D: scrambled eggs topped with salsa and a side of blueberries

Nothing non-compliant but my nutritional profile for the day is lame. Ugh.
    You want bad? You should have seen last night's dinner. 2 bowls of cereal followed by a bowl of coconut rice pudding with almonds. (Granted, I came home with a splitting headache and couldn't be bothered...)

I think you're allowed an occasional potato. Just send the rest to me! (I love them, but don't eat them a whole lot because I'm mildly allergic to potato juice (immune systems are stupid!) and can't cut or peel more than a couple at a time.) Oddly enough, most of the things I've read say potatoes have a pretty good nutritional profile--provided you eat the skin or scrape every.last.thing off the inside of it. Too much work for me!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...