Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 57 of 133 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    As I was about to pass her, I looked behind me and saw cars coming in the traffic lane, so I stayed just to the inside edge of the white line (we were both in a bike lane/shoulder, and she was running toward me, so she saw me coming for a while).
    Wha...? That is bizarre. If you were riding with traffic in a bike lane, wasn't she running the wrong way? Not that that is a huge deal when you're a pedestrian, but certainly not a place to be bossy.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Wha...? That is bizarre. If you were riding with traffic in a bike lane, wasn't she running the wrong way? Not that that is a huge deal when you're a pedestrian, but certainly not a place to be bossy.
    That's how they run here, towards traffic. I suppose that's so they can see and get out of the way of oncoming vehicles, or push said vehicles into the road .

I ride that route several times a week, and haven't seen her before. I'll give her more space if I see her again. She's obviously a loose cannon. Better just stay out of her way.

Heh, I suddenly realized that I "almost" ran a cyclist down this morning because I thought he was a pedestrian... I didn't actually get anywhere near him, but I was in full flow along the very busy bike path that every morning hosts the local "Tour de Finance", and had to switch sides from left to right, crossing the path of a couple of pedestrians walking towards me with plenty of space to spare. But just as I check my back and swing out to switch sides I see a blur in front of me. I just have time to think "Whoa, THAT'S not a pedestrian!" and swerve back.

Just goes to show, when making split-second decisions it's not always easy to see what's what, and it's especially hard to judge the speed of someone heading toward you - the same way many drivers misjudge the speed of cyclists.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Just goes to show, when making split-second decisions it's not always easy to see what's what, and it's especially hard to judge the speed of someone heading toward you - the same way many drivers misjudge the speed of cyclists.
    You're absolutely right. Before casting judgment, we should consider the other person's perspective. Glad it all worked out well for you and the other cyclist.

Yesterday's commutes were much better! With dense fog in the morning, a truck driver was kind enough to wave that he saw me, and let me have the right of way through a dicey intersection. Little things like that make me happy. PM commute was really fast, one of those rare occasions where I felt like going all out. Beautiful day, except for 100% humidity.

This was my first week commuting every single day! Feels great. It rained two days as well (nothing to write home about, but the path is remarkably empty when even a little rain falls - I look forward to it even more, it is a much easier ride without the congestion). Friday's commute was great - weather was perfect. One thing I notice - I still don't feel great going into a sharp turn, I slow down a lot, probably more so than others. I took a turn so sharply once that my pedal scrapped the ground and it made me nervous in my turns. Something to work on...
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

e.e. - I'm on my third week of biking to work every day and just loving it!

Can't believe it - I was chased by a Canada Goose (family) on the ride home last night.

Was the funniest thing! I was riding through the hospital grounds and realized there was something along the side of the road moving toward me. As I'm going by, I realize (holy cr*p), its a Canada Goose hissing at me! Right behind him (my assumption that it was the male goose) are his mate and at least four goslings.....that's as much as I could see cuz I'm getting the heck out of there. How's that for a visual - bike fleeing from Canada Goose family???

Weird thing is they really weren't anywhere near water, so I'm thinking they must have gotten confused - somehow ended up in the parking lot & then couldn't figure out how to get out of there. The actual place where they were was on a grass strip between the sidewalk & the parking lot.

The things you see when you bike - commute?!?

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    He wasn't chasing you...he was trying to ask for directions!!
    His wife was behind him saying "See? We're lost. And it's all your fault because you're too proud and STUBBORN to ask for directions!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    He wasn't chasing you...he was trying to ask for directions!!
    His wife was behind him saying "See? We're lost. And it's all your fault because you're too proud and STUBBORN to ask for directions!!!"
    7rider, that is just too funny!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

It was a very chilly morning commute. I actually wore arm warmers for 1/2 the commute - in June in Washington, D.C. Unheard of! I (randomly) met my morning commuting buddy, Chip. He is retiring from the Coast Guard in less than 2 weeks. I will miss seeing him on the trail.

My afternoon commute was different. I had to go to a meeting at 2 p.m. so last week I e-mailed the organizer and asked him if I could ride my bike to the meeting and park it in the conference room. He's a runner so he "gets it". His response - "Cool. We can accommodate the bike and we can accommodate the rider." So instead of getting on the metro, I got on my bike. It took me less than 8 minutes to get to the building (in downtown D.C.) where the meeting was being held. I walked into the building and when I went to lean the bike against the wall, the security guard said, "Excuse me. What are you doing?" Well, apparently you're not supposed to bring bikes in the building. I guess I'm used to where I work where the security guards chat with me every day about my cycling. The guard told me that I would have to leave my bike outside but I don't even own a lock because my Madone is always by my side. I told him that the meeting organizer said that I could bring the bike so he called him and Kerry came down to the lobby. He looked at me (in my kit) and looked at the bike and said, "You were serious?" I cracked up. We went upstairs and I put the bike in his office and changed into professional clothes in the restroom. After the meeting, I did a quick change and one of the participants (they were all very cool university professors) said, "Did you just change in a phone booth?!"

I had to do my city commute instead of my daily trail commute. I was extremely alert and wired but I made it home safely.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk12 View Post
    It I did a quick change and one of the participants (they were all very cool university professors) said, "Did you just change in a phone booth?!"
    Super star. Super hero. Meh. All the same!

One of the regular guys on our bike shop group rides left for California recently to take part in a bike ride across America....52 (?) days, from San Francisco to Portsmouth NH. We're of course all very jealous. But....before he left, he recently posted a picture of a bird he had a hard time identifying on the shop's Yahoo listserv. It was a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron - somewhat unusual for the area, but not at all rare or unexpected. Well, since he left...I've seen a YCNH on each of my commutes (which has been twice). Once yesterday in a park, it was patrolling around a park bench, looking for breakfast. Today, one was in Sligo Creek as I crossed over the wooden bridge. It's funny. That bird has been a totem for me for various friends at different stages of my life. Well, different birds fill that role. It always changes. Lately...it's the yellow-crowned night heron.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I rode my bike to two meetings today, and it worked out fine. The last meeting ended after sunset, and I found out then that my blinkie is on the blitz. I have reflectors on my shoes, panniers, and messenger bag (I had alot of stuff to bring to the meeting), but I really need to get a new blinkie.

It was so gorgeous this afternoon that I came home, changed and took out the mountain bike. Finally not so humid! The creek is still over its banks in a lot of places and all of the tunnels are still closed because they're underwater. It's been a very wet spring. I only have one more day before leg surgery and forced bike hiatus so I'm trying to enjoy every minute.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Not a good commute for someone on my path

Actually not sure if this guy was commuting or training (training by the look of his outfit - he had all the gear, the nice bike, etc.), but on my commute this morning, I came upon scene where the cyclist had fallen, blood was running down his face, his forehead, cheeks were cut - it was not pretty. People were already there, on the phone, calling for help. He was sitting up, but he was obviously in pain. I felt so bad for him. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I only saw one bike down, don't know if it involved another cyclist. However it happened, it was a sobering sight, I hope he's okay. I spent the rest of my commute thinking about him.
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen