Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 110 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

TriGirl, do you think maybe he saw you commuting and that inspired him to give it a try? How cool would that be?

I had to look at this thread to get inspired. My commute is a whole 4.5 miles, and I put gas in my car only once in every 3 weeks, but still - why waste the money? (and the gas?)

Hmmm -

OK, I "commuted" for the first time in 4 years. I rode 5.5 miles to a client's house and prayed that their driveway was clear of the ice they didn't plow from last week's storm, which was covering the driveway on Monday. It was, and the parents didn't think it was weird at all that I arrived for couple's counseling on my bike.
    I plan to schedule more sessions with the parents, without the kid, since my regular visit to work with their son is at the end of the day and I am coming from a distance in my car. I have another client that is 9 miles away and as soon as it's a little nicer out, I will start riding there, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I took my studded tires off tonight. It took a couple hours to get it all switched and I ripped up a tube in the process.

If the entire nation is blanketed in an inch of ice tomorrow morning, it's my fault.

I also changed the battery in my cateye and re-set it. I guessed at the mileage but I think I'm pretty close. It quit letting me cycle through the readings 200 miles ago (3 weeks) so I estimated my mileage based on what I remembered plus calculated from the last time I wrote it down (October). I came up with 8550 +/- 50. Close enough.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I came up with 8550 +/- 50. Close enough.
    WHOA! How long did that take you to accumulate that many miles? Impressive!

The start of the week and the end of the week couldn't be any more polar opposite than they were for commuting. Monday I was riding to work in short sleeves and capris and today I was bundled up in my wool winter coat, winter boots and heavy duty mittens. Go figure...
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 03-09-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    How long did that take you to accumulate that many miles?
    I got my bike in Oct 2008. So ~3.5 years? A little over 2000 miles a year.

I got stung/bit on the head by something on the commute Tuesday; I did not notice anything until I hit the shower that evening. It's right where a side vent is above the right ear. Whatever it was, it stung right through my headsweat. Wednesday was so windy I did not ride. No showers at work means no workout before work so a 40mph headwind means take the Tundra to work. At well north of 4 bucks a gallon, driving the 12 mpg Tundra is not what I want to do. The 7am telecon Thursday ruled out my ride (hey, don't managers in East Hartford CT know that Los Angeles is 3 hrs earlier?) as I am not getting up earlier than 4:30 for anything other than an earthquake. At least the weather was perfect for my commute on Friday.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I took my studded tires off this week. I expected the next morning the entire midwest would be encased with an inch thick sheet of ice because isn't that the way it works?

My bike is so smooth, quiet, and fast.

Ok, it isn't any of those things compared to other bikes, but compared to itself with studded tires it is!

It took me nearly two hours to get them changed. When I got the studded tires in December I intended to pay someone to change them at the end of winter, but the end of winter got here and it wasn't convenient. No bike shop in town and the free lance mechanic who usually helps me out is holding down 1 full time job, 4 part time jobs, and is the primary caretaker for his new baby (his wife is a Dermatology resident). So I did it myself.

I put on work gloves so the studs wouldn't hurt. But the schwalbe marathons (the unstudded) are really freaking tight and I roughed up my hands getting them on. I ripped a hole in the rear tube in the process so I had to take that one off and put it on again with a new tube. Even with the gloves my hands got completely filthy.

I can't wait for the bike shop to open in a couple months! Of course the way businesses go around here it'll be open for less than a year and then fold.

Loving this weather, it's still 65 degrees at 11 pm I hope my whole week is this nice. My body actually got warmed up and my time was shorter too.

One of those days yesterday. Started by almost getting hit by my upstairs neighbor in our back lot. She slammed on the brakes and wasn't even that close, but it was awkward.

Then on the bike path, I could hear the quickly approaching sound of nails, getting louder. I knew instantly it was a dog, but thought he was in his yard. Not so much. He was in full chase, seeing me as prey, barking and growling loudly. Luckily he came from behind. He chased for long enough for me to think through my options. Outrunning him was first choice, but he just stayed with me. Then I actually had time to grab my water bottle and attempt to spray him, but I could only get little drips, not enough to do much good. I thought of stopping, but then you're stuck with a potentially still aggressive dog. Back to outrunning him, along with yelling at him to go home. I sprinted and finally dropped him. Then I made the mistake of looking back to see where he was, and that slowing down renewed his chase instinct, and I had to go all out again. He finally gave up.

It happened too fast to get a good look at him, but I'm pretty sure he had on a leash. No owner in sight, though. He was a beautiful beast, and I hope he got home, but boy, what a monster!

Now the rest of the day was gorgeous, while I was at work, anyway. It seemed to be getting breezy as I was leaving, but it was still sunny and warm. I stopped in my lbs and as I was leaving, my friend pointed out the black sky to the north, the direction I was heading. As soon as I got back on the bike, a front came through. It was windy with thick fog and threatening rain. It came from nowhere, a lot like that dog. By the time I reached my car (which took a lot of effort to get to), it was sunny again. Crazy.

I love commuting.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Outside my garage at 6:50 a.m. today, getting my Garmin connected and lights on. Was overwhelmed by the numbers, volume, and intensity of the birds singing and calling all around me. It was crazy. Still dark - sun just brightening the eastern sky - and the birds were just going absolutely gonzo.
    Ahhh, Spring!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Today was my first official commute of the season! 14.57 each way to the bike shop. I was not sure how I'd do, not having ridden very much, so I gave myself 20 extra minutes. But, no problem, I even had time to stop for a coffee (which I put in my water bottle). It was a chilly morning, 41*, and my toes were numb-cold by the end, but the afternoon warmed up a bit so it was a pleasant ride home.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

It was 50* this morning.a little chilly for the short sleeved shirt & wind vest, but it was perfect for 72* on the way home.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Yahoo - commuting season is here again. Yesterday was the first commute - felt wonderful to get back on the bike. Had forgotten how wonderful it is to be out early in the morning. Very little traffic, snow is all gone & my new handlebar coffee cup holder works fantastic - life is good! :-)

Starting at least a month earlier than usual. Typically mid-April before its warm enough and most of the crud from the side of the roads has been cleaned up.

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Finally an awesome commute today. Wind in the right direction, warm, and no one did anything jerky. I even made decent time. Oh, and the street sweepers came! Better than winning the lottery.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Great commute today even though I found a new way to get lost.

To work was misty and foggy.

I cross some scary places where the bike trail and entrances/exists to a toll road meet (add poor visibility as well!). A very nice woman gave me right away. Once I was through she continued on and I noticed a bike rack on the back of her car. I really appreciated her empathy and kind gesture.

My other favorite part from today's ride was pedaling through flower pedals. They were on the trail and floating through the air. It was like a movie (ok, in my head).