Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 45 of 133 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, this morning we had snow on the ground (again!), and icy roads. Since I went down hard about 3 weeks ago, I seem to have lost some of my confidence. I took the long way in, and enjoyed myself (other than being convinced I was going to end up broken lying in the street), and made it in with no issues. I am excited about the old mixte I bought last weekend. It will be a fantastic summer bike, but the rims are big enough that I can put studded tires on it for next season - that will be nice...

45 degrees and HEADWIND! and i got to work sweaty...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm riding on summer tires now and I feel like I'm riding the wiiiiiiiiiiiind....

I find myself pedalling in time to and nodding to the music on my earbuds, grooving along this one long stretch of bike path, making approaching cyclists look at me and grin The balaclavas have all gone so we can actually see each others faces. Nothing like SPRING!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm riding on summer tires now and I feel like I'm riding the wiiiiiiiiiiiind....
    I put my summer tires back on, too. Love the difference!

I rode in to work today, but immediately hopped on Metro and head into the District so I could give platelets at the Red Cross. It's about a 4 block walk from the nearest station to the apheresis center. I was amazed at the number of cyclists riding downtown today. Cool.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    The ride in was in the 30's, the ride home was not much warmer, but with a 30+ mph headwind. There were seriously times when I could have crawled faster than I was pedaling my bike.
    Oh well- frost tonight and hopefully this will be the last of it... hopefully.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

It had to be 85º when I left work tonight! It's only April! Crazy. Had a good tailwind home again. I'm going to get spoiled.

It was in the high 80's for my ride home I enjoyed a nice tailwind
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

The longer daylight hours are allowing me to ride 35 miles after work. Am getting a headstart on building my mileage for the spring/summer months. I'm loving these warm temps.

30s and a couple inches of snow on the car in the a.m. Forutunately none sticking to the roads. Glad I didn't need to swap back to the snow tires. Wet, but not windy ride in. Sunny and warmish ride home.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I had a really good commute today. 9 miles, to the grocery store (I had not braved that busy road before, but I found a quiet alternative to get there) to pick up a few things, and then on to the post office and back home/work.

In the grocery store parking lot, one of my neighbors was walking to her car with her groceries right in front of me. I said hello, and she was just amazed that I rode my bike "all the way to the grocery store!" It's less than four miles...

The grocery store does not have bike parking, so I had to lock my bike to a street sign. The wind knocked it over while I was shopping. The chain of grocery stores was just bought out by bigger chain, and they will be remodeling the store soon. I told the manager to tell them to put sheltered bike parking in as part of the reno. Yeah, sure he'll tell them...

The pollen is fierce and the winds are strong, so it's kindof like a pollenstorm out there. But it's 80F and sunny, and all the drivers were considerate.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    The pollen is fierce and the winds are strong, so it's kindof like a pollenstorm out there.
    Pollenstorm, that's a good word for it! It's been weird weather, blowing hot and cold. In particular blowing strong! I was so warm the other day, then today I needed full-fingered gloves. Lots of cyclists, joggers and walkers out there.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Pollenstorm. That's about right.
    Today's commute was amazing!! For the first time in two weeks the wind died down (was only blowing 15 instead of 40). I took a 2 hour detour on the way home to ride around the lake. What a glorious day (even tho I had to break out the tights and winter coat again after lots of warmth).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'm getting for another attempt at a once a week commute- I missed it last week because it was really windy and other stuff I don't want to get into. I tried to remember to take everything to work in the car today: shoes, stuff to clean up and (even shampoo and blow-dryer)... but I to forgot to grab a change of clothes and will have to tote my laptop after all...

If I put it in writing, I'm more likely be committed to get up and out of the house half an hour early so I can ride.

This morning it was in the mid 50's F when I left the house. I had a light cycling jacket, short sleeved jersey and jeans on. By the half way mark, the cycle-puter said it was 60F and I was boiling, so I stopped at the light and took off the jacket and stuffed it into the pack. First ride to work of the year w/no jacket and short sleeves. Felt good. No winds blowing in my face, that's rare; I got to enjoy the ride. Even going home was good, about 80f. This is it for So Cal; the time after the jacket mornings and evenings, and before the sweltering summer. Don't know how long it will last, but for the moment, commuter heaven.

I installed the second bottle cage as I plan to carry 'wet my shirt' water in it to combat the summer heat. But for now I am content to watch the sunrise and enjoy the pleasant afternoons.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

My commute weather was great- just needed a windbreaker and shorts in the morning and jersey and shorts in the afternoon, and I loved how energized I felt all morning.... but both Weds and Thurs I pushed myself harder than usual on a steep hill on after-work rides, and now something hurts above my left knee, on the outside of my leg. First cycling-related complaint (aside from saddle comfort issues)..

I probably should have skipped commuting, but I had planned all week to ride to work. I'm going to take a few days off, stretch, take ibuprofen, use an ice pack and hope it gets back to normal.