Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 133 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

How Was Your Commute Today?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Let's keep this rolling, so to speak.

I work from home, and occasionally I ride to the post office some 3 miles away. Today, however, I had a meeting downtown, 5 miles away. So I commuted there by bike. I packed a change of clothes (skirt, nice shirt, heels ) and stuffed it all carefully with my notebook some pens into my Arkel briefcase pannier. Then I set off.

I got there a bit early and had plenty of time to change in the restroom. I wasn't very sweaty, since it was just 5 miles. I had called ahead and found out that there are bike racks in the parking garage. Mine was the only bike, probably the only one for a long time.

I was pleased as punch that I made it work. The only thing I forgot were my earrings, but I'm probably the only one who noticed.

I just had a short 1 mile commute. For a lot of reasons, I didn't ride very much last week. But I had switched the stem on my commuter. So it was a bit exhilarating being on a bike again (oh yay, this is fun!) and so far the stem change seems to have helped. But I'm about to ride home and see if I still think that. The way home is slightly uphill, which is when I really noticed that I didn't like something about the handlebar position.

Luckily I can get away with being in jeans and a t shirt at work, so no need to change.

my commute today was awesome, as it is most days. the leaves are just yellowing and beginning to fall on the pathway... it sounds and smells so nice. i ride along the river and enjoy the beauty of it; occasionally there is a train in the mornings and there's just something about that.

and then.. THE HILL. it beat me for most of the spring and summer, but now i beat it every day. that really starts my day off well, to be victorious.

i'm going to be so sad when it's too cold to ride... today was fabulous.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    didn't commute today (raining with lightning), but maybe tomorrow. I'm glad everyone had a great commute.
    Tulip- nice job riding your bike to the meeting!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Unhappy reality vs imaginary

Are we allowed to post our reality commute versus our imaginary commute?

Reality:
    I'm in a car which requires me to go through 3 different highways, all the with the same inattentive, self-righteous, and rage-filled drivers. They switch lanes without signaling, they stop suddenly for no reason at all, they don't let signaling people into their lane. Traffic teases, seeming like it'll stay 65 mph ... and suddenly, it slams into a frustrating stop-and-go... emphasis on the stop.

It takes me an hour and a half to go 20 miles. I arrive at work upset and tired.

Imaginary:
    I'm on a bike and hitting all the green lights at the right time. The bike lane is wide and free. The weather is sunny yet cool, and the ocean wind refreshes me from time to time. I belt out the synth parts of 80's tunes while zooming by amused people waiting for the bus.

It takes me an hour and a half to go 20 miles. I arrive at work excited and energetic.

With my new (further) job and new bike, I will be making the transition to bike commute hopefully next week... baby steps.
    Last edited by aeiea; 09-14-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: the 80's, and car clarification

aeiea, I am going to follow your lead...
    my commute is only about 7 miles though...in a car it takes me 25 minutes...factoring in red lights and jerky drivers blocking thru-lanes from their turn lane...

I have been scoping out the shoulders on possible routes to and from work and with a blessing of good weather I am going to go for the first time on my bike tomorrow.

Aside from a bumpy (post-earthquake...unrepaired) shoulder I think my biggest worry at 7 am might be stinky exhaust...wish me luck all...I will, of course, post tomorrow.
    Hiking, Biking, Paddling, Swimming, Surfing, & Running to my heart's content (or at least trying).
    You're never too old to try something new!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Today was, I believe, the slowest average speed I have yet posted for a commute since my friend, Terry's accident and my loss of him as a commuting partner. I occasionally try to push on some days. Some days, I take it easy. I call those "recovery days." Yeah....that's it. Recovery day.
    So, I noodled along, not really looking to push, at about 12 mph.
    Other than that, the ride was blissfully uneventful. Usual cars. Usual pedestrians. Usual potholes.

This morning's commute:

Crisp fall air! Wearing a new pair of Walmart knit pants. Hey, they were ONLY $9!

Then I discover that the pockets are only 2 inches deep. I discover this when I attempt to stuff my ...... okay before I denote WHAT I put in my pockets, let me pause for a public service announcement. I won't give anyone a hard time about their less than healthy habits if, in return, I get the same.

Ready?

Then I discover that the pockets are only 2 inches deep. I discover this when I attempt to stuff my ..... no wait .... if some newbie got 15 lectures about not riding on the sidewalk in another thread, I doubt I'll escape the lecture circuit myself.

But then I'm an eternal optimist and believe, somewhat insanely, that people really aren't as predictable as our worst fears try to convince us that they are. So, I'll try this again.

On my commute this morning I was wearing new $9 knit pants from Walmart that had only 2 inch deep pockets that I discovered was barely but not quite deep enough to hold my ..... wait for it ....... cigarette pack and lighter. So I stuffed one in one pocket and the other in the other pocket and then had the extreme pleasure of stopping twice, once for each, to pick them up off the road when they fell out of my pockets.

Blowing a smoke ring,
    Pardes
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Duck, Pardes, duck!

honestly I was expecting to hear...iPod...or someother distraction...but smokes...*shakes head*
    Hiking, Biking, Paddling, Swimming, Surfing, & Running to my heart's content (or at least trying).
    You're never too old to try something new!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Shame on you, Pardes.

Hee hee. Just kidding.
    I certainly won't be throwing any stones because I live in a big ol' glass house. I thought you were going to say you were going to stuff a candy bar in your pocket. My mind always goes to the sweets. I, myself, had a whole package of Whoppers this afternoon (and I didn't feel guilty, either- so bleh!).
    Gut and butt be damned- I'm not giving up the sweets...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The morning commute was wonderful. It was very, very dark when I started out. The air was crisp and it was very peaceful yet scary at times -especially during the brief period when I am in Rock Creek Park and there are no lights and I'm picturing the boogie man jumping out of the woods. I met a guy that I see at least 2-3 times a week so we rode together for a while. I always tease him about his lame bell. It's about ready to ring it's last ring and it sounds really sad. The evening commute was nice because the warm weather was back. Total mileage - 30 miles.

Pardes, maybe your pants, your wiser half, were trying to tell you something

Aeiea, driving around los angeles is usually enough to make me apoplectic - I don't envy you riding around there - you're braver than I am. Your speed is fine, just think how much faster you'll be if you raise your seat up all the way

Lovely. I got my kids ready for school (their second day!) and then headed out on my favorite road bike since it was dry and nice today. I was exhausted from the weekend, so I stayed in the smallest gear I could and still feel like I was moving forward. I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride in.

On the way home, I was feeling a bit more energetic and ended up hitching a draft off a kitted up racer type guy. Pretty nice day.

My commute today was just terrific. It was supposed to just be a standard transport run, but one thing led to another and I ended up winning the yellow jersey in this mornings Tour de Bureaucrat.* Four wheelsuckers, and not one could pass!

*The last half of my new commute goes along a wide and popular bike path along the ocean, and in the opposite direction leads from the wealthy suburbs out west and in to well-paid financial jobs in the city centre. The hordes of toned, tanned, ambitious men in their 40's "not competing at all" on very expensive bikes here every morning has been dubbed the "Tour de Finance". So I guess those of us riding from the not so wealthy suburbs in the east, to the not so well paid government jobs outside the city centre. might as well be the Tour de Bureaucrat.*

Then I got to the kayak club right opposite my workplace, figured I had just enough time to go paddle, hopped in a purty white and black glassfibre kayak and slid out into the sun. Half an hour on water like silk, flooded with morning sun, a few gulls bobbing about, and a view out the fjord with a light rising fog, and I can't stop grinning
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett