Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

I cannot believe you are starting school in mid July. What is the reason? Did you get out in April last year?
    The school schedule in other parts of the country is almost nothing like the schedule in the Northeast. My town did not get out of school until June 27th! They finally are going to start before Labor Day this year, because of all the snow days and late ending this year. The district I go to once a week (the I used to teach in, actually) to provide counseling at the HS got out on June 18th.
    I guess kids in AZ don't have the option of going to camp or other summer programs in other parts of the country.
    I would have taken the ride home!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, we start in mid-July but have a 3 week break in Sept/October and a 2 week break in March. We get out at Memorial Day. This allows families to vacation during off-peak seasons and gives us time for remediation classes between 1st and 2nd quarter and 3rd and 4th quarter.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I am taking my first October vacation this year, so that does make sense, but I would still hate starting in July if I was teaching. And do kids really take those remediation courses? Can you "make" them.
    I worked in a district in south Phx that was phasing out all year round schools when I started. I would have definitely liked that, as you had a choice of when you want to take your breaks. My school was already back on the regular schedule, though. Always said summer vacation should be in Dec., Jan., Feb., in AZ!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, if the student fails a core class (Language Arts, Math, Science or Social Studies, or fails a math or reading benchmark test, they "owe" 12 hours for each one. They can attend intersession, go after school or 12 hours or in some cases be enrolled in a "re-teach" class during the regular school year instead of an "enrichment" class (kind of like an elective). Parents are informed, and it is a district wide policy. Students who owe hours can be retained. So yeah, they definitely have to go.

Once you get in the classroom, you stop thinking about the fact that it is mid-July. I hate the short summer but love the fall and spring breaks. They are just a little long. I'd like to have a 2 week break in the fall instead of 3 weeks.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I commuted in my cycling dress today! I only had one client and I did not feel like riding even 5 miles with a loaded pannier. Wore my Terry liner shorts under the dress and while the see through mesh was visible as I rode, I am sure it just looked like cycling shorts to motorists. It's viciously hot out and it was cool to wear this riding home at noon. All I had to bring were my sandals and underwear, with my flat iron in my backpack.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I made my third ever commute today. I am loving the bike and didn't think I would use it in this way. oddly proud of the dead bug I picked out of my helmet today

My commute today..well, usually is on my Brompton and Bart; however, since I have been putting in a lot of miles training, I thought it would be fun to ride to work and home, 34 miles. It was beautiful..sunrise at my house and sunset view of the San Francisco Bay! I work as an optician, and admittedly, am a bit of a fashionista, so I too was hauling some fun accessories! Nothing is more invigorating than passing some guy adorned in a Garmin Kit....(one that doesn't look as if he's collecting a check), on a steel bike, with a loaded backpack!

I began commuting on a cruiser and then I just got hooked into cycling all over again. A Dutchie, a Brompton, and an IF Steel Crown Jewel later- the ride is our intimate connection to the beauty that surrounds and inspires us.

Happy Fall

Maiden voyage on my newly finished mixte, this morning. I've done a couple of recreational rides on her, but this was my first commute with panniers. It was lovely! She actually felt more stable with the loaded panniers than without.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commuter.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	17416

I'll post a non-loaded photo later, in case anyone want's to ooh and aah at her beauty!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Congratulations! Beautiful!

yes!!!...a beautiful mixte!!!!!!!

enjoy the miles you'll ride on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I commuted home at 7:20 last night, my latest ever. For some reason, there seemed to be more traffic than if I left at 6:15. But, aside from being a lot more cautious, it was a really nice ride, with my favorite temperatures... around 52 when I arrived home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yahooo, Muirenn! Sounds like you have a good set up.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I am starting to hate riding with my pannier. Even though I only have my clothes/shoes, a few papers, and my flat iron, it feels super heavy. And that's not counting the times I had to bring books home. For a couple of weeks, I brought my clothes in ahead, so I could ride my bike without the rack to work, with just my Camelback as a little backpack. That's how I rode when I was commuting to teaching. I like riding my Guru so much better, without the pannier. I have an Arkel trunk bag, but it's a pain to put on/off, compared to the pannier, and it does not hold as much. DH has a huge seat bag he used to use on his carbon bike, that attaches somewhat like whta you have, Murienn, but my bikes are always too little to support that.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-29-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My pannier was reasonably priced and I've had it for years (since I had the Coda), but the Arkel was pricey. I don't mind spending money on this stuff, but kind of not when it's for something I don't use all of the time. I probably should practice putting the Arkel bag on/off, so it becomes second nature, because I can't really feel it too much when I ride. Only thing is, I would not want to take it on/off when I get to work and leave, to carry my stuff up the stairs into the office.
    And yes, I will never get a front bag again. I had one on my Trek 5200, almost the whole time I had it. I think that's when my bad cornering habits started... it changed the handling so much, I started being overly cautious. When I took it off, I was amazed.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I had to break in my lovely mixte by riding in the rain on Monday to go pick up my car (long story...but I was stuck at home with no car and no one to drive me so I thew on my rain gear, pulled out the bike and rode to the tire place). I've been hesitating to ride it in sucky weather because it's so lovely, but that ship has now sailed.

So today, I commuted on it. I had a big smile on my face for almost the entire ride in! And I'm really looking forward to the ride home, too.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom