Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 133 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today was the coldest commute yet- high 40s in the morning! Overall, I think I was well-dressed for it, but it's hard to gauge. I'm halfway to work before I'm warmed up, so I need to remember to dress a little warmer than I would for a long road ride. My hands were a little cold- my "cool weather" insulated gloves are terrible, but it's not anywhere cold enough for heavy Amfib gloves yet. I also need to remember about glasses fogging up when I stop at traffic lights- had a couple sketchy moments where I couldn't see anything!

It was a beautiful ride in, cool and quiet, with the sun just beginning to rise behind the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I need to keep up the motivation to get out the door when it's cold and dark because I really enjoy the ride once I get going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2392.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	10161  

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    It was a beautiful ride in, cool and quiet, with the sun just beginning to rise behind the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
    Wow. Very impressive. You actually made southern New Jersey look ... almost photogenic!

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Wow. Very impressive. You actually made southern New Jersey look ... almost photogenic!
    Actually, DH made New Jersey look photogenic That pic is from about 2 weeks ago, I think. It's a lot darker now!

Nice photo Becky.
    this morning as we were getting ready to leave for work, DH misunderstood me and got huffy. "See you tonight" he said. Well, i left right behind him and sure enough, he had calmed down and was waiting for me on his bike behind the house. We rode together quietly and parted friends once more.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I think DH would be tickled pink if he could find a job where he and I could bike commute into town together.
    I just don't think I'd be able to convince him to get up and out the door at the early hour I do....and I leave late compared to others I know!

DH and I enjoy being able to commute together. It makes some of the sketchier parts just a little safer. Safety in numbers and more eyes are both good things.

(Though I nearly got nailed this morning. A guy in a truck decided to roll a stop to make a right turn behind DH, and never looked to his left to see me there. I dunno how he missed me- my headlight looks like something from a motorcycle.)

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Gorgeous picture, Becky!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hey ladies! I just saw this thread and thought I'd pop in and say hi! I've been commuting 3 days a week ever since I got my trusty Surly Cross Check. (Best commuting bike ever!!)

It's 13 miles one way, 6 miles on the bike path, 6 miles on a quietish 35mph street with bike lane, and 1.5 miles through bikelaneless BMW-jerkwad hell.

I do consider myself lucky that it's only 1.5 miles. I don't think I'd be able to handle the commute otherwise.

This morning was the first time I felt really really cold, although my definition of really cold is totally wimpy and cheating since I'm in Arizona. I'll be heading to REI this week to stock up on some warmer layers, for sure.

Even though it takes me an hour to get to work, I like it so much better than the 25 minutes I spend in the car. Totally worth it!

Enjoy your commutes, people!

Unhappy

Only got 1/2 a commute in today. Great ride in...I actually feel safer in the dark. After spending 10.5 hours in PowerPoint Purgatory, I decided to ask DH for a lift home & dinner out. My bike will spend Wednesday with me at the office until I can ride her home for the other 1/2 commute Thursday afternoon (I have meetings & appointments tomorrow that make riding not an option). I know...she'll be sitting there, next to the file cabinet & visitor chairs begging me to get her out tomorrow! My day seems incomplete.

Beautiful photograph and sounds like a nice commute.

Note to self: Put a small container of dry lube in the tool locker (or even, my own locker).
    Was not planning to ride today. But DH had a 7:30 a.m. "date" with some riding buds to do a loop out into Howard County (yes, MDHS, he went right by Harvey - the bunny statue). So, my Metro chauffer was off on the bike early, and that left me with riding in or (gasp!) taking the truck. Of course, the bike won out.
    It had rained this a.m., but stopped before I left, so the roads were wet, a few puddles, but no active rain. I admit...I am a fair weather commuter, and I was more concerned about flatting then anything (well, dirty wet spray on my new Arkel pannier was worrisome too! ).
    But by the time I hit town, my chain was starting to chirp like the morning birds. It will be singing a mighty song on the ride back tonight - in 25 mph winds, with gusts to 45, oh joy. Looks like I will have some maintenance duties to take care of tonight.

I'm a wimp... I heard 50 mile an hour gusts, walked out of the house & felt the wind... and took the car.

I did the wet commute this morning. It was drizzle when I left home but a moderate rain when I got here. I wouldn't have done my previous 13 mile commute in these conditions, but from my new home it's only 1.5 miles to work, so why not? Actually I've been taking the bike path for a somewhat longer 3.3 mile commute, and it's quite nice to spend some time in the morning cycling through the woods. For the first time ever, I parked by bike outside the office - it was just too wet and dirty to bring inside. [My bike was parked outside the office in Zurich for 3 months, but never outside THIS office.] I too, will have some maintenance duties tonight.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    bikelaneless BMW-jerkwad hell.
    Ain't this the truth??!!? Every time when someone is roaring out of an alley, or making a right turn in front of me, or generally behaving like a jackass, 9 times out of 10 they're driving a BMW.

It will be singing a mighty song on the ride back tonight - in 25 mph winds, with gusts to 45, oh joy.
    I'm with Catriona--went running this morning instead of having to face the prospect of riding home in the wind.

It will be singing a mighty song on the ride back tonight - in 25 mph winds, with gusts to 45, oh joy.
    I also decided to bike in today even though I saw the blustery forecast. It will be extremely tough the first 5 miles since I will be riding next to the Potomac River where the winds will be gusting. Should make for some nice strength training.

I struggled on the commute this morning. Even with a decent light, it was very, very, very dark. More so than usual. I felt like I was constantly trying to get my eyes adjusted to the darkness.