Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 133 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    How tall are you? I've got one that's too small for me that I'm trying to sell.
    hmmmm....we'll measure up when you come to visit!

I was exhausted fighting the wind yesterday after going for a ride after work, so today decided I'd just take my surly downtown to the library, drop off some books, take some pics and explore.

Much windier & colder tody and I was riding a more upright bike.

This crazy lady drove by and honked at me and told me to get on the sidewalk.

Crazy lady turned out to be Zen on closer inspection.

had a nice ride through the park on the way back where some kid on a bike with training wheels was racing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I was exhausted fighting the wind yesterday after going for a ride after work, so today decided I'd just take my surly downtown to the library, drop off some books, take some pics and explore.

Much windier & colder tody and I was riding a more upright bike.

This crazy lady drove by and honked at me and told me to get on the sidewalk.

Crazy lady turned out to be Zen on closer inspection.

had a nice ride through the park on the way back where some kid on a bike with training wheels was racing me.
    I've gotta meet this Zen character, she sounds like a hoot. I love her avatar.

Careful, Zen's a terrible influence and likes to stir up trouble. But she's also usually pretty willing to go for a ride.

I heard that the pacific northwest is gonna have a light snow season this year because of la nina or el nino or one of those wind patterns.
    I heard that we were going to have a mild winter also, because of the same reasons. (Notice that I'm not sure of the spelling either). Then I heard on the radio that the farmers almanac said it was going to be a BAD winter. Who do I believe?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Commute today was cold! Just above freezing. Had to pull a a wool blanket over me to eat breakfast, we haven't put up any curtains or heaters yet. I debated going up to the icy attic and crawling around thunking my head on the beams to find my winter shoes, didn't sound too appealing so I went for shoe covers instead. Warm enough, but only just. Time to break out all the winter stuff now. The weather is glorious, which means warm (-ish, 10-12 deg C) rides home again, but also clear nights and cold, cold mornings. Will have to pay careful attention to the road some mornings in case the ice sneaks up on us.

Smell: I ride past a huge coffee storehouse down by the ocean every morning
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I smelled what I'd swear were freshly-baking waffle cones this morning. That warm, sugary bready smell... oh man. My other favorite smells I've encountered on-bike are bacon and chocolate chip cookies. The only disappointment is not getting to enjoy them.

Today was cool, in the mid 40s, but dry and we had my favorite kind of sunrise: Where there's a low layer of clouds so that when the sun rises, it lights up the bottom of the clouds like they're flames. Like this, but way nicer:

Also thanks for all the comments on my Xtracycle haul. It was definitely the exception rather than the rule, even with an cargo bike like that (), but it's neat to be able to use a bike like that. Re: the 10-lb bag of kitty litter -- you'd never even notice it on the Xtracycle. Seriously. It's already a heavy, slow beast, so tossing a bag like that back there would hardly make a difference.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Kfergos, you DID enjoy them. Eating isn't the only pleasure.
    This morning was the coldest commute of the season. 44 degrees on my bike thermometer or 7 deg C. BRRRRR
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    today's commute was good- in the morning. In the afternoon I was waved on by a co-worker in the parking lot as I was heading out, and I went to wave thanks, my hand slipped on the handlebars, and I went over the bars (not really sure how that happened). My wrist is killing me now and I'm a bit bruised. I hate when I do stupid things like that. Then I almost got hit by a car who thought I was going slow and decided to speed up past me and turn right in front of me. Had I not hit the brakes I would've been creamed. Grrr...
    I'm glad I made it home in one relatively held together piece.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Ouch Tri Girl. Take care of the wrist.

I did something similarly stupid today. Commute was fine in the morning, rode home to get lunch... As I was going out the door to go back to work, it occured to me that I should go grab something, turned around to run into the house and rammed my knee into the door frame...

i did my owwies dance, hopped down the stairs to get whatever the heck it was i needed, came back upstairs and half thought I should take the car to work... But decided that would be lame, limped to the backyard, got on the bike and the first few pedal strokes was going... I bet this wasn't a good idea.

Got to work and watched my knee swell and the bruise develop for a few hours before it was time to make my slow bike ride home .

Yay for stupid self inflicted injuries!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Today was a half-commute.
    A friend and co-worker of mine had borrowed my old Seven for the summer so she could do the Civil War metric century the other week. She successfully did the ride and wanted to get the bike back to me. So, she brought it in to work this morning in her truck, and I took Metro in, bringing bike clothes in a backpack. We put the bike in my locker so I could ride it home in the afternoon.
    Now...I have been riding clipless pedals on all my bikes for years. But my friend does not. So I got some pedals with toe cages & straps for the bike, which she used. I rode home today with those pedals.
    Oh. My. Gawsh.
    Once you go clipless, I have discovered, there is no going back. I felt like a total newb.
    - Trying to flip them around when starting from a light was maddening (all my pedals are double sided entry - just stomp and go.).
    - I had to loosen the strap waayyy up so I could fit my sneaker in, and then my sneaker would slide out when I was pedalling (being a complete newb, and in city traffic, I was actually afraid to tighten them up too much!).
    First task on the list now is putting Speedplays back on the bike!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

I did something similarly stupid today.
    Ouch! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

kfergos- I'm sure the sunrise was beautiful if it was anything like the picture. Awesome!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I want a friend that lets me borrow a seven for the entire summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    I smelled what I'd swear were freshly-baking waffle cones this morning. That warm, sugary bready smell... oh man. My other favorite smells I've encountered on-bike are bacon and chocolate chip cookies. The only disappointment is not getting to enjoy them.

Today was cool, in the mid 40s, but dry and we had my favorite kind of sunrise: Where there's a low layer of clouds so that when the sun rises, it lights up the bottom of the clouds like they're flames. Like this, but way nicer:

Also thanks for all the comments on my Xtracycle haul. It was definitely the exception rather than the rule, even with an cargo bike like that (), but it's neat to be able to use a bike like that. Re: the 10-lb bag of kitty litter -- you'd never even notice it on the Xtracycle. Seriously. It's already a heavy, slow beast, so tossing a bag like that back there would hardly make a difference.
    Very beautiful photo, kfergos.

Ouch Tri Girl. Take care of the wrist.

I did something similarly stupid today. Commute was fine in the morning, rode home to get lunch... As I was going out the door to go back to work, it occured to me that I should go grab something, turned around to run into the house and rammed my knee into the door frame...

i did my owwies dance, hopped down the stairs to get whatever the heck it was i needed, came back upstairs and half thought I should take the car to work... But decided that would be lame, limped to the backyard, got on the bike and the first few pedal strokes was going... I bet this wasn't a good idea.

Got to work and watched my knee swell and the bruise develop for a few hours before it was time to make my slow bike ride home .

Yay for stupid self inflicted injuries!
    I hope it doesn't affect Saturday's ride (Tour du Port).