Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 53 of 133 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Response from Washington, DC Mayor Adrian Fenty

To disable ads, please log-in.

I e-mailed Mayor Fenty about almost getting killed twice recently by crazed motorists in his city. His response is below. I'm sure a staffer wrote it but still...

Thank you for reaching out to the Mayor's Office regarding the safety of cyclists in the District of Columbia.

I am pleased to report that the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is working hard to make the District one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the country. DDOT is continually working to connect and expand the bicycle- and pedestrian-related infrastructure in the District.

Thank you for your email and your passionate concern for cyclists in the District of Columbia. Your comments have been taken into account and have been sent to officials at DDOT and the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

My administration continues to strive to act in a manner that has the best interest of your community and the District of Columbia as a whole in mind. The continued interest and feedback from the community is always welcomed. It is emails like yours that have kept the city on task as we move forward in making improvements around the District. Thanks for writing and for your support.

Sincerely,

Adrian M. Fenty
    Mayor

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow. If that's not a canned response, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Wow. If that's not a canned response, I don't know what is.
    I know. The probably took out the word "pedestrian" and inserted "cyclist".

Pfunk, do you have a local bike organization that does advocacy work??
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Another excellent day here for commuting. Surprising tailwind this evening made the ride home fast and easy. I did 3 for 3 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Pfunk, do you have a local bike organization that does advocacy work??
    Yes, we do. The Washington Area Bicyclist Association.

Our mayor's bike got stolen, so I guess he feels our pain.

The commute the day before yesterday was hard. Headwinds all the way, both rides, and I was worn out by the time I got home. I decided I would rest yesterday.

So much for that! At 7:55 am, I saw that the wind was supposed to be from the south by evening (tailwind!), so even though I hadn't yet showered, I decided to ride. If I ride, I usually leave my house by 8:15. It was a mad rush, but I actually made it to work on time!

I enjoyed my tailwind back, as planned. I heart tailwinds.

Have to start with last nights commute. It was FANTASTIC!! I had my son meet me at my work and we rode together. We saw 4 deer! We stopped and watched them for a bit then headed to the store. I learned to keep my camera on me. I think we saw the deer because we were on our bikes and taking it easy. All the cars that were passing? I doubt they saw anything.
    Ride this AM was short but the weather was so nice. I am going on a longer ride after work. I'm excited.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

commutes have been lovely. Weather has finally settled down. dry and sunny! YAY!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    FINALLY commuted today (first time this week). It was great!!! It rained hard last night, so the morning was wet, cold, and smelled so fresh and pretty.
    I should have ridden the first 3 days of the week, but sleepiness got the best of me in the morning.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Happy Bike to Work Day Everyone
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    In honor of said Bike To Work Day (May 21), we hosted a "Pre-BTWD Seminar" this morning in our Fitness Center. This is the 3rd year we've done this and we had 6 attendees - an average haul - 4 of whom had never biked to work before. We had a woman from the League of American Bicyclists talk about confident commuting - going over equipment, riding in traffic and such. We had a bunch of handouts on road rules, work area facilities, benefits of cycling, and stuff like that. Lastly, we had my bike - which I actually rode today - as a demo bike, showing off its lights, bells, rack, panniers.
    Next week, we'll have a morning coffee for commuters - with coffee and bagels and giveaways. We have a competition going on with Discovery Communications - the cable channel is headquartered right up the hill from our office. We'll be trying to beat them with a percentage bike commuted on BTWD. Given their underwhelming response to our challenge, I'm hoping we'll do okay.
    Lastly, a guy who works for EPA, who's working at our office for a few months came to me looking for bike facilities. Those smug EPA'ers! They get a Silver Bike Friendly Business designation from LAB and they get all haughty about how, why, they thought ALL government agencies had fancy bike rooms and free showers. All he had seen of our humble little agency out in the low-rent area outside the District was a member-only Fitness Center and bikes locked to railings by elevators. But I did show him, in our GSA building next door, we DID have a runners locker room that offered free showers and bike racks in a guarded garage that was so secure, a bike that was unlocked but near the racks, has been sitting their for about 5 years, and no one's lifted it. So, we redeemed ourselves in his eyes!
    An attempt at a Bicycle Friendly Business designation is on the short list for us this - or next - year.
    Last edited by 7rider; 05-13-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Well, you've got to admit that we do have pretty sweet bike commuting facilities! So I guess we earned our smugness and haughtiness!!

The last few times I've commuted I've been told by the ridiculous weather people that it will rain so I take my delightful fendered bike - which happens to be heavy, slow, creaky, and best used for groceries.

And then it doesn't rain and I wish I had take my speed demon CC. Oh well, it's nice to not neglect the older child, er, bike because the younger is so much fun.