Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Um, you must have missed Seattle's last winter--right Mimi?!

Sounds like a dream job!
    I was there at Christmas last year and it was crazy! I'm just hoping it's not a permanent thing, and maybe they'll put something other than sand down on the roads if it does snow. ...I'm not getting rid of my studded tires yet, though.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

I heard that the pacific northwest is gonna have a light snow season this year because of la nina or el nino or one of those wind patterns.

Last winter was *highly* unusual - like a once every 25 years occurrence. I've lived here for nearly 20 now. Last winter was only the second time I've seen considerable snow and the first its lasted for more than a day or so. Usually snow lasts a matter of hours at the most around here. This year is supposed to be warmer and I think perhaps dryer because of El Nino and some other factors (or is it La Nina... I can never remember which is which and what exactly they do....)

The year before last we had couple of weeks or so very cold mornings and intermittent ice - which IMHO was much, much worse than the snow. I could ride my cross bike in the snow, but the ice was treacherous.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Kfergos - Holy cow! What a load of cargo! Now I feel like a wimp for driving to the store because I didn't want to haul a 10-pound bag of kitty litter on my bike!

But your bike - it's looooong. My bike's rear tire is under and a little behind my seat. With all of your cargo I can't see the frame and maybe I'm just slow to wake up this morning, but how'd you do that?

Yesterday's commute was unusual in that it was the first time I ever felt really lousy on my bike. I woke up with a sinus headache, but figured I feel better once I got going. I was running late, so I didn't even have time for my morning cup a Joseph. Anyway. Every. Bump. Was. Like. A Hammer.

The evening ride was much better.

Breezy ride in. Decided not to go the long way 'cause 10 miles into 20 mph winds would take too long. Went back home and tossed 200 aluminum cans into the rig and dropped 'em off at The Goat for 77 cents. (I could get twice that at teh "real" recycle place, but I'll let the store have a chunk.)
    My Xtracycle (that's how we do that, Deborajen ) runs lots better with the new cassette it got last week. Last Monday night the chain wouldn't find a gear... right in front of the bike shop. Took me a good quarter mile and getting off the bike and talking to it... didn't change gears again for the ride home. Took it in for its tune up (I'd planned on waiting 'til October and the shop being less busy)... and the cassette fell off in Jeff's hand. Reckon I'm glad I didn't wait any longer...

Eden, in 30 years of residency in Seattle, we have never had a winter that even came CLOSE to what last year was. Kfergos! I am excited for you.

As i was riding to work this morning (it was 49 degrees) I was thinking about why riding is more fun than driving.
    I can smell all kinds of smells - lawns, flowers, someone's bacon cooking, the sea (when the wind blows from the west), the occasional dead animal, the smell of spring, the smell of autumn; the pleasures of riding behind a garbage truck, and the sounds; dogs barking in the distance, various birds, the sound of someone's car idling in a driveway, the sounds of running over leaves, and ick, glass... in a car, you don't smell anything except yourself and your car, you don't hear anything except the loudest of noises.
    i can see people's cats watching me from their front stoops, I can count eagles and crows (and can follow them from their sounds).

I had a nice commute this morning, and Kfergos, I will continue riding all winter, maybe less than i do in the summer, but there's no need to stop except for occasional bad weather.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I can smell all kinds of smells - lawns, flowers, someone's bacon cooking, the sea (when the wind blows from the west), the occasional dead animal, the smell of spring, the smell of autumn; the pleasures of riding behind a garbage truck,
    I notice those things, too. And the smell of maple syrup on weekend mornings out in the middle of nowhere. I never can figure out where it's coming from.

yeah, people should have signs on their front door; "bacon here" "pancakes here" "Teriyaki beef barbeque here" " marijuana here"

I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Eden, in 30 years of residency in Seattle, we have never had a winter that even came CLOSE to what last year was.
    The very first year I lived here (95) my husband and I went back to his parents for Christmas and were actually snowed out of Seattle.... we had to stay an extra day or two until flights were getting back in. That's the only other time I recall any significant amounts of snow falling in the city. By the time we got back it was mostly melted, so it was still nothing like last year where we had multiple snows that lasted for more than a week. I prefer the normal grey drizzle...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Kfergos, that is amazing! Maybe....just maybe I'll get an Xtracycle for my birthday...hmmmm....
    How tall are you? I've got one that's too small for me that I'm trying to sell.

oh yeah, 1995, the year some of the kids from my sons' high school didn't get HOME that night because the city couldn't deal with 6" of snow on the ground. They stayed overnight in a nearby school!

My sons were lucky to be heading south instead of north and got home only an hour or so late.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I was so excited for my evening commute to the farm where I get my CSA share. I left my car at the farm this morning, and rode into 20-30mph headwinds the whole way to work, which was okay because I knew tonight's ride would be tailwinds-o-fun-o-rama. Unfortunately, a flat screwed up that plan. I ended up driving to the farm with my share partner. I could have changed my tube and still made it to the farm before closing, but decided to change out the tires instead tonight, and that will be enough tire changing for me for one day. Time for the schwalbe blizzards.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    What the....????
    Fall has come early to Maryland.
    It was a chilly 48 degrees (8.9 C) this morning - cold enough to pull out the knickers and the jacket. It was supposed to warm up to 70 (21) and be breezy for the ride home, but when I left the parking garage, the wind was howling between Buildings 1 and 2 (I'm in #3), an area that is always a wind tunnel, and it certainly felt to be no where NEAR 70!
    I almost pulled my jacket out and put it back on, but figured that by the time I got to the road - away from the downtown stop-and-go puttering - I'd warm up and be fine.
    But....here's the rub.
    In the morning, my route is primarily, but ever so slightly, downhill. There was no wind. This evening, heading up that ever so slight uphill to go home, and heading north into the arriving cold front, I had a brutal headwind. Why is it that the ride home - which is uphill - always gives me a brutal headwind??
    It's just so unfair.

Ride home was a bit smelly. Took a long route home and went by road-kill fox, raccoon and skunk. I'll take a different route home tomorrow.