Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not in snow country here, but a year round commuter (heck because it does snow relatively rarely, travel by car is almost impossible and its better to go by bike when it does actually fall ). I'm on my bike regardless of the temps unless its icy.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Commuted the last 2 days, varying routes between 9 and 18 miles each way. I'm really ready for the wind to change direction! It's been steady northeast, which makes the evening commute challenging for the last 10 miles. I'm so hungry now!

today's afternoon commute was really fun, i put my panniers to the test. I went to my PT appointment with Knot, and then rode up to Beacon hill where I have to pick up my farm share. this is usually DH's job; but his bike's in the shop today so I did it. They were filled almost to overflowing, but I made it; all the way home with more than 10 pounds of extra weight. Beautiful weather, everything perfect.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Commuted the last 2 days, varying routes between 9 and 18 miles each way. I'm really ready for the wind to change direction! It's been steady northeast, which makes the evening commute challenging for the last 10 miles. I'm so hungry now!
    Amen to the wind! We're close enough that I'm stick with the NE wind too, and boy am I getting sick of it. It's a headwind almost all the way home. Did you notice that the wind seems to come from the west-ish in the spring/summer and the east-ish in the winter here in New England? Or am I just crazy and imagining that?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

It could be. Maybe since westerly winds are warmer and drier for us, we just don't notice them as much as the cold/damp east winds.

Great ride in today. I don't think I have ever felt fog before today. I got a distinct cloudy slam in the face by the fog as I went over the marsh today.

And I saw three cute little baby bunnies playing in a culvert pipe. They look like a mix between native wild rabbits and some sort of checkered domesticated bunny...cute as can be. They were way to quick for me to stop and take a picture though.
    Hiking, Biking, Paddling, Swimming, Surfing, & Running to my heart's content (or at least trying).
    You're never too old to try something new!

My commute was beautiful today, as it has been all last week. Temps in the 70's, light winds! Perfect!! It makes up for all the foggy mornings and windy days there have been this year! I saw deer and broke up a racoon party on the trail yesterday!

Commutes have been great since I got lights! Half my route uses the bike path and the other half is on a back street...the first time I did it in near blackness I was sold on continuing. There is a powerful thrill in flying through the dark (on the path) with just the front light illuminating whats ahead...makes me feel more confident. The path is deserted then (as it is in the pre-pre-dawn when I ride too) and its lovely.
    On the back I have a flashing red lights on both my bike and helmet, and my bike bag is reflective...plus I have those cheapie "rainbow" lights that fit on the tire valves-kinda tacky but bright and fun! It never hurts to have bright lights!!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Today is Car-Free Day in the D.C. area. I was going to have DH drive me to Metro, but since there's only a 30% chance of rain today, decided to ride...to keep in the spirit of going car free. It was FOGGY out this morning. Had all my lights on, flashing away.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I loved those foggy morning commutes in DC. I hope to commute to the post office today. It's been so busy workwise that I have not been able to get out for a bike break, but I'll try to make that happen at least twice this week.

I enjoy reading about all your bike commutes, everybody! Thanks for posting.

-tulip (who loves working from home...except she misses her bike commute!)

I'm sort of on a photography roll here, so forgive me for spamming you all with photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=c287b36ffb

Here pics from my "commute" a few days ago, aka long detour via the woods and an obscure hiking path all the way down to the centre of town.

Yes, a perfectly ordinary city commute follows after all the nature stuff Didn't take photos of that.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Very nice ride in this morning. Had hubby take picture for World Car Free day when he dropped me off at the trailhead. Hit all the lights just right and feel much better now that bike is outfitted with flashing headlight!

Must have had my head in a fog this morning because for some reason, I did not notice the fog during my commute. One of my co-workers asked me about the fog and I said, "Huh? What fog?" I was watching the weather forecast this morning, debating whether I should bike or not and I am so glad that I did. It was another beautiful morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Today is Car-Free Day in the D.C. area. I was going to have DH drive me to Metro, but since there's only a 30% chance of rain today, decided to ride...to keep in the spirit of going car free. It was FOGGY out this morning. Had all my lights on, flashing away.

Well, today marks a turning point as it was the first day I wore my gloves on the ride to work for the year. My commute is less than 10 minutes, but yesterday my hands were nearly frozen by the time I arrived, so I knew it was time...bike computer said it was 42 degrees. Should be up in the 70's later today though.

it was 33F this morning and windy... I had a sweater, gore tex parka, thin wind proof hat under my helmet, wind resistant fleecy gloves, and by the time I got to work (aside from the tears streaming down my face from the wind), I was HOT! It always cracks me up... I can commute to the low 20s in not much more than I wore today. Once it gets into the teens and below, I have to wear gore tex pants, more substantial shoes and a balaclava. I am considering my mountaineering mittens over my fleecy gloves too this winter. Last year my hands got quite cold with the wind and the weather in the single digits. The only time I didn't make it by bike last year was a couple of powdery snow days where I just couldn't keep the bike up under me even with the studded tires. Ah, winter....