Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My commute today was awesome. The weather is perfect!
    I can do five more miles.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post

Then I got to the kayak club right opposite my workplace, figured I had just enough time to go paddle, hopped in a purty white and black glassfibre kayak and slid out into the sun. Half an hour on water like silk, flooded with morning sun, a few gulls bobbing about, and a view out the fjord with a light rising fog, and I can't stop grinning
    I wanna move to Norway!

Me too! A pre-work bike ride AND a kayak trip! And my niece is there in Oslo...wow I wish I had a few extra bucks in the travel account...

My commute was quite lovely... and dark. It was 60 degs F when I left the house with my beloved DH, and we made the first light which is VERY rare so I took off on my big chain ring and crossed the intersection and flew down the hill. As we approached my office, I pointed out the 1954 Supercontinental that they are reassembling in the yard outside my office, you can just see it because it's getting light out. Then the silliest part of the commute, I ride an extra 3/4 of a mile so I can ride ALONG the fence of the compound (much like being a prisoner, I guess) with DH on the other side, racing me. Then I saunter into our building and check out how many other people rode bikes today. ZERO. ha. I'm the only one.
    Lovely commute, thanks for asking.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I wanna move to Norway!
    Me too. Kayaking's so relaxing, it'd be a great start to the morning.

Last night after commuting home (I think the stem switch is good, fixed my issues).. I went out for a bike ride. About 5 miles from my house, there's a little table on a corner that always has vegetables and a donation can. I always see kids in the backyard playing/working in the garden. They had a couple butternut squash and some ears of corn, and I decided I want corn and I want to make butternut squash soup. So I put some money in, and stuff 2 squash & an ear of corn in my camelbak which probably already has 2-3 liters of water in it. They usually take the stand down before I'm finished with my bike ride, so I can't go on my way back home.

Then I rode another 15 miles. Could not get my back/shoulders comfortable with the pack, I was trying to get the weight to rest on the hipbelt, but wasn't too successful.

It was somewhat achy, but not terrible... After I got home, I had to take my kayak off the roof of my car & carry it behind the house from using it this weekend. 50-60 lbs on my already irked shoulders. Came in, took ibuprofen and sat the rest of the night with a really sore neck.

This morning, more ibuprofen, staying in the hot shower for a long time, and rubbing arnica & ibuprofen gel on my neck when I got to the point I could get my arms behind my head.

Decided I was gonna be miserable whether or not I drove or rode to work, so rode my bike.

All for some butternut squash.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I wanna move to Norway!
    Yup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000150.JPG 
Views:	551 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	10065  
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

But it's not all woods and glossy water. Here from the final stretch home today, I'm documenting why a bike is a great way to travel. (A road sign had fallen down right in the middle of rush hour = backed up road for miles.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000159.gif 
Views:	535 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	10066  
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

hey, that looks just like a photo i took a couple months ago!
    (the traffic, not the sublime water experience)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Thumbs up very first commute!

Overall, my morning commute was pretty uneventful...which is far different from what I imagined in my nightmares last night.
    I left home, forgetting my glasses...thinking, "my, the wind is causing me to tear up"...duh...back home.
    The second start was perfect. I wasn't feeling right until about the 4th light. I couldn't be more visible...but coming back from a bike/auto accident is sort of a mental fight with yourself.
    I tackled the only big hill like a newbe, but tackled it all the same...
    Only one dumb (expletive removed) pulled out in front of me...thought she could beat me making her right as I came down the hill...had I been a car I would have probably had to slam on the brakes not to rearend her...so screw her.
    Got to work with plenty of time to freshen up!

The way home is all up hill...so this should be enough to do me in.
    Hiking, Biking, Paddling, Swimming, Surfing, & Running to my heart's content (or at least trying).
    You're never too old to try something new!

my morning commute was as always... lovely and fall like now However, I rode to a meeting this afternoon. Now, it's storming spectacularly and I have to get back for another meeting and if I make it un-electrocuted, I will be soaked to the bone... but, it's still better than a car!

I got a flat on my regular commuter the other day (Raleigh Mixte, with a pretty long reach) and haven't bothered to fix it yet... I rode my Trek FX (first time I was on it in months) to school today with a messenger bag. Compared to how stretched out I am on the Raleigh, I felt like I was parasailing on my way to campus, I was so upright. I also was amazed at how easy it was to shift, and frequently forgot to do it... I'm still not entirely comfortable with the downtube friction shifters on my mixte--imagine, shifting gears with the flick of a finger!

Anyway, it was fun for a change but riding more than a couple blocks with anything substantial on my back is just torture for me. So I need to get my mixte (with its rack and baskets) rolling again ASAP.
    Last edited by badgercat; 09-15-2009 at 03:29 PM.

OK, so - I was a little jealous seeing this thread and reading about commuting. We're having great fall weather and the building I work at is like Swiss cheese right now - with plastic wrappers. We had major exterior wall leakage and a big chunk of outer wall rotted and fell into the parking lot a few months ago. It's a four-story building - It was quite a sight. Now they're finding mold, wet insulation, more mess - and they're tearing off more bad stuff and rebuilding. It's a mess - I don't want to ride my bike around it and have no place to park a bike right now, so I'm parking my car across the street and walking.

Then I saw the picture of the kayak in Norway - ooooh! Beautiful!

(**More jealous now - and thinking about moving to another country! )
    Last edited by Deborajen; 09-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzbananie View Post
    i'm going to be so sad when it's too cold to ride... today was fabulous.
    Too cold to ride? What're you talking about? I encourage you to keep riding as long as possible. With the right clothes -- and it's not actually as many as you'd think -- you can ride all year round in most parts of the country. I speak from personal experience living in Massachusetts, by the way.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    Too cold to ride? What're you talking about? I encourage you to keep riding as long as possible.
    Amen. I ride as much as I can manage into the winter, also in Mass.

another lovely commute today; however it was a bit dark
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna