Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 129 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

I signed the 30 days of riding pledge in hulagirl’s cycling related forum thread. I usually ride or run/walk to work when I’m in the office all day. I’m planning on riding before or after work on days I have to travel to a project or meeting. My morning commute is city streets with a stop at Intelligentsia for tea and usually a muffin or scone…today’s was a honey/fig bran muffin. It could be a four mile ride but I usually do quiet back streets, add a few hills and a ride on the beach to make it six to ten miles.

the ride home is sometimes with a stop at whole foods if not an earlier lunch walk to the farmers market for food/house needs
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

rebeccaC, that sounds lovely.

I drove to work today but then forgot the stylus I needed, so I rode back to get it. Thought I was going to have to resort the gym (that was my compromise for the 30 days thing) but nope! I did the 5 miles RT in drizzle and made it to work, parked the bike, ran up to get my stylus, grabbed it, ran down and hit traffic coming back. Still only took about 28 minutes RT. I was a woman on a mission
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post

I have been commuting quite a bit lately and it's almost halved my gas consumption! Yay. Dang weather makes it hard, though. Today I opted to drive because I had to be on campus all day and it was supposed to POUR. I almost hit a commuter today, though. Some balsy guy, a real PITA, who didn't want to wait for a left turn and just breezed through, full well knowing I had the right of way. I slammed on my brakes and thankfully neither killed him or got rear-ended. Another commuter, a lady who was coming up after his stupid feat looked at me like, "WTF?!" watching him almost kill himself, so it wasn't just me. It's guys like him that make the townies hate us. I can't stand people like that!
    We're saving a bunch on gas and public transportation costs too, it's one of the upsides of commuting that I sometimes forget about until I see how much I have left of my pay check at the end of the month

Yesterday I found myself hunting down a suicide cyclist to tell him to follow the rules of traffic before he endangers us all. He was speeding down a very steep hill and didn't bother to stop for the red light at the end - just rushed through one of the busiest intersections in town. Last year a cyclist was killed by a bus after similar reckless driving in that same intersection. I hate cyclists that ride against the red light, apart from the obvious danger, it makes us all look bad!

I had my first commuting "incidents" this morning. Nothing I am not prepared for, but, I never had any of this when I was leaving at 5:45 AM and coming home at 2:30. I wanted to be there by 8, so I left at 7:30, which gave me extra time. Usually, the earlier, the better. So first, I got in the lane, approaching a 4 way stop that is very busy at commuting time. It was just slightly backed up, so I was patiently waiting my turn to go, when a young girl, not a teen, maybe 20 or so, decided, I didn't have the right to be there. She proceeded to go around me, into the oncoming cars, to get ahead. I *wanted* to ride right up to the bumper of the car ahead of me, but since she was in the car, I didn't . But, she didn't really have room to do that, so she was like going sideways across the road. And what for? She had to wait her turn for maybe 2 seconds less. She clearly didn't think I had the right to be there, and judging from her car and where she was headed, I'd say she was from the state north of here. Then, when I was waiting to cross the highway, right by my office, the light turned green and I was a few vehicles back. It turned yellow when I was in the middle of the intersection, so I started sprinting, but then there were 3 cars waiting to make lefts in front of me. Two went, I slowed a little, and then the third one clearly didn't see me, I grabbed the brakes, and when he saw me, I think he probably peed in his pants. I didn't have to stop, but by now I was in the middle of the intersection, and the light was red. Not only are cars turning everywhere here, but once I get through the intersection, there's a street on the right with no light, where cars are trying to turn left onto the road that crosses the highway, as well as cars turning left, like I do, into the hospital. I wasn't scared, because I am hyper vigilant and saw all of it coming, but I definitely will be leaving earlier on Fridays. I always have stuff to do... probably no commuting next week, as it's going to rain on Tuesday and on Friday I have a client until 12 and then a hair appointment about 6 miles away, up a 3 part hill. By the time I change and get lunch, it will be very close, so I probably will do a "dark" ride early in the AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Eihposi,
    That's crazy. I see guys (mainly fancy roadies) do that here and I just think, "I how could that POSSIBLY be worth it?" My boyfriend has no bad habits because he never really rode on the road, just trails as an adult and he obeys all traffic laws. He got really angry at another cyclist who blew through a light here yesterday. I was like, "Yep, see that daily here". It's scary. I'm glad for both of us I am the one "teaching" him manners and not one of those crazies.

Crankin,
    Man, I am GLAD you are OKAY. That's a crazy set of scary circumstances. I know what you mean by "not scared" but just blown away by all of that nonsense. My BF and I found a better way to get to my work this weekend while bumming around post-trail ride. He said "I think this could save you some traffic" and boy was he right! Much safer commute this morning altogether. I am now looking at minimizing my time spent dealing with high-traffic and am trying desperately to understand what time I need to leave. I think I have that down. If I leave before 8, I'm good. If I leave even 10 minutes later, I have issues. It's good to know that, as you say.

Today I commuted in with my new pannier and rain gear but I didn't need it. I'm wearing Zoic capris and no one knows they are bike pants. I liked them so much I bought another pair which is on its way. They will be good for my riding in Ottawa, I think.

Owned by:

Crankin, I just saw this! So glad you are ok, a crazy set of circumstances indeed. Hopefully you will be able to go earlier in the day on most of your commutes - that was always scary to me when I was able to ride to work. The earlier the better, for sure. Whewww, very glad you are ok!

Colorinst - glad you like the capris! I've considered them more than once but never did pill the trigger.

They're on sale - two pairs for less than $60.00 on here! I also got a cycleskirt because I'd been wanting something for summer commutes when I could be casual or potential bike jaunts through Ottawa and/or other cities where I don't want to wear shorts while out shopping and sightseeing.

Owned by:

Earlier, or later. I decided to bag boot camp today and ride to work. I had nothing until 10:00, but I wanted to get there by 9:15 or so. I left at 8:50, a perfect ride. When I left tonight at about 6:10, I felt like I was flying. I felt pretty aggressive and had my left arm out and finger pointing, with my "teacher gesture," as my friend calls it, as I rode through Concord Center, and I have to turn left and merge in 3 places. It's very cloudy, getting ready to rain, so I had both front and my 2 rear lights going. no mistaking me. When I got to my neighborhood, my average was the highest of all my rides this year, which is amazing, given I have my pannier, though it wasn't stuffed with much, just my clothes.
    DH says this stuff happens to him on almost every commute, and he rides 17 miles! I won't stop; this is the quickest and most direct route. I can leave earlier or later, depending on the day, but I am not stopping. Perhaps, if I was a new rider, I'd be afraid, but this is just the way it is. As it gets warmer, I may experiment in riding in clothes that look less like roadie clothes, which usually gets you treated better, in my experience.
    Going to boot camp tomorrow, despite my dislike of the instructor on Tuesdays.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

While having a cup of tea and a chocolate almond brioche on my way to work this morning photographer and filmmaker Lauren Greenfield sat down next to me. What a great conversation for 30 minutes on her early photography in L.A. and how we both use photography to see culture. She was riding to a meeting close to my office so we rode together for 3 miles. I was a little late but that story explained it well enough so it didn’t matter. A 6 mile ride this morning.

After work I took the beach bike path north to it’s end at Will Rogers Beach and then back towards home. Watched the sunset while sitting on the beach. 24 miles total for the day......so far I've done everyday of my 30 day pledge
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Dreadful! I'm going to the opera tonight after work, so I decided to take the subway (then I don't need a bag full of extra clothes), but the train left 2 minutes early, so I missed it, and then the next train was late, so I stood outside in the cold for 20 minutes, which is about the same time it takes me to cycle to work. I felt so stupid for not taking the bike after all. Stupid me!

It's supposed to rain today and I have an appointment about a half hour after I finish work.
    Taking a rest day, no commute today. Looks like I won't be able to commute again until maybe next Friday, given the combination of Passover, work schedule, weather.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've been commuting about once a week lately and this week (with lovely weather), I managed two commutes.

Today was commute #2 and it was amazing...such a gorgeous day on tap here! The ride home should be delightful.

There was a funny incident though. I was about 0.5 miles from my office and I'd scaled back my effort to try and cool down a bit before arriving. I came up on another cyclist on a mountain/hybrid bike. We were on a MUP that no one uses in the morning except cyclists. I didn't feel like exerting the effort to pass him when my office was so close, so I just hung back about 5 bike lengths or so. He clearly did not know I was there. First, he blew a snot-rocket but I was far enough back to miss it. Then he lifts himself off his saddle slightly and makes a motion with his body that could be nothing other than farting. I was totally snickering to myself!

I SOOO hoped that he was headed to the same office as me so that I could tease him about checking behind before blowing a snot-rocket. I'd reassure him that he missed me but leave him wondering if I knew about the fart or not! Unfortunately, my fun was thwarted as he turned off down another road. ;-)
    Last edited by GLC1968; 04-11-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I'm also on the once weekly commute- the ride in this morning was beautiful- perfect temps, not much wind and I left a few minutes early and avoided 3 miles of bumpy pavement and traffic by riding the longer route via the Julian Wash bike path. I only saw 2 walkers- no other cyclists. Still a few lingering wildflowers- Desert Globe Mallows, some tall pink Parry's Penstemon, a few Desert Marigolds. I passed a very vocal Cactus Wren on top of a cholla, a few Black-Throated Sparrows and House Finches. I like it that part of my commute goes through desert habitat. I don't have the typical commuter problems of car doors opening at me and not too many stoplights, but part of the route goes along a pretty busy traffic corridor past the air force base, and parts of the route don't have the greatest shoulders. But by the time I get in to work- 10-12 miles depending on the route, I feel pretty good.

The ride home will be a bit warm- in the 90's....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

GLC, that is hysterical and gross at the same time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

GLC, that's awesome haha. But yuck. At least you didn't get hit!

I braved the AWFUL weather riding to/from class today and it was WORTH IT. I got hit in the face with icy rain (ouch!), would have been nailed by cars by the fire station had I not been more alert but avoided catastrophe, and made it work in 35* weather with my rain gear. The new bike worked GREAT and I much prefer these brakes to my others. I sat at Starbuck's with a book pre-lecture and enjoyed my morning an ran into my dept. chair and dir. of grad studies who were both getting coffee there. The Chair told me I met rule nine of cyclocross code by riding today and I'm a bada&& for riding in this weather. I told him about the new ride and he congratulated me on finally pulling the trigger. I have a feeling he will be seeing more of me at the cyclocross series in town this year like he's been encouraging me to do for a couple of years.

Owned by: