Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 128 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

What is a co-working office space? Renting space in a shared office?

My son works in a place like this. Albeit, the other tenants are Google, Apple, etc. He has been reaping the rewards of a free breakfast for over a year...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What is a co-working office space? Renting space in a shared office?
    Basically yes. Freelancers, start ups, remote workers (telecommuters)...I work remotely and do my own consulting. Working from home all the time can get very isolating. There's no one to bounce ideas off of and no spontaneous conversation that often leads to a creative idea or a better way to do something or just learning something new. And then there's just the lack of motivation at home, and the distractions.

The people who work there are in all different fields, seemingly unrelated. But conversations and collaboration happen. I also find that I'm more focused with my work while I'm there. And when I got home, I wasn't tempted to keep working into the evening.

I don't have a dedicated office there. They have different spaces for working quietly or being more open to conversation. I rode my bike with my mobile office in my pannier (laptop, iPad, phone, headphones, etc). I was there for 5 hours, met some interesting people and got a lot of work done. I was home by 3:30 and had ridden my bike 13 miles. What's not to like? I plan to work there a few times a week (bike commuting again is so much fun).

I haven't been much for commuting lately (below 20F and any amount of wind and I'm usually on the train...) but it was a balmy 35F today so I got a day in while I can. Only saw a couple other bikes and a handful of runners, but it was a nice morning- the trail was fairly clean and the studs were probably overkill, but I'm more comfortable with them and when I'm only getting a couple commutes a week the added drag/weight is probably good to keep me in shape

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow commute.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	16937

It was okay. I wish I could have used my bike but where I live isn't the most friendly place for bicycles so I just settled in for the bus.

First half was nice and icy this morning, couple downed trees from the ice storm yesterday that required some sidewalk detours and one section of closed road that was full of pebbly ice that fell from the trees and refroze in a 1.5-2" layer. Lots of glare ice from refreeze overnight. Still LOVING the disc brakes and studs combo, I think my sense of self-preservation kicks in before I'm anywhere close to losing traction.... hoping to get out of here while it's still light tonight since my road up the hill has even less shoulder than normal due to the snow and I'm not as fast going uphill as I am coming down

New to the forum, just thought I'd pop around and say hi!
    My commute was quite nice today, a bit cold and it had been raining last night, so a bit wet here and there, but not enough to make me slip on the tram rails (I had an accident involving tram rails and rain last year, I'm still not a 100% comfortable crossing them). But for the rest, nothing feels better than knowing that you're faster than the public transport

It's nice to be able to get out without having to layer up so ridiculously. It's still cold but fewer layers required.

Because of my trip, I have been biking a lot, but because I work from home and most things I need are in walking distance, I haven't been commuting by bicycle. I've been walking. Last year I sort of biked in a tornado. A funnel was sighted over the school which was about 5 blocks from where I was biking when the 80 mph straight-line wind came through and swept me off course and knocked down trees on the street I was trying to get down.

Yesterday I was in the gym when the tornado sirens went off. They put us all in the bathrooms which double as tornado shelters. Then we got the all-clear so I gathered up my stuff and headed home. It was raining a little. Then it hailed! I was near shelter so I ducked under the eaves until the hail quit. There was the most beautiful rainbow.

And then the tornado sirens went off again. I was about halfway home-- do I head for the nearest building and take shelter or just go home? I decided to just go home. The sun was shining, the clouds were far off, the wind had died down. There were plenty of houses, all neighbors, that I could take refuge in if something started to happen.

Soon my dad & I will be biking all over Missouri right through tornado season. The bathrooms in all the state parks double as tornado shelters.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

This morning was my first commute of the spring. I skip the winter months because I just don't feel as safe on my route when it's still dark out, and I have to leave by 6:30 am to get to work and cleaned up by 7:30. My route goes through neighborhoods for a couple miles but then onto a really busy 4 lane road that passes the air force base and then turns onto a busy 2 lane road through the open desert with bad pavement on the shoulder for a couple of miles. It's better for the last two miles when I get back into suburbia and smoother pavement.

I'm also much happier starting my day when it's not chilly...(and compared to some of you, I am a total and complete weather wimp!) So it was about 50 degrees and already light when I left. My 10 mile commute is slightly uphill and usually into a breeze. It was pretty calm but still I only managed about 12.5 mph. My best days I average about 14 mph. Coming home is usually much, much faster- sometimes I can average close to 17!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I commuted today for the first time in almost 6 years (June 2008). This was worth all the crap involved in getting a new job, getting settled, etc. I now truely feel I am back to my old self; filling up my car every 2 weeks and riding 2 days a week to work. Of course, the mileage is nothing like I was doing before, which was just under 14 miles one way and hilly right before I got to work. My new commute is 5.2 miles one way, and the best part is the way there is all downhill and flat. I actually wasn't going to commute today, because rain was predicted right at about noon, the time I leave, but it was clear the rain was not going to get here until later, so after I was already dressed in my street clothes, I changed, got all my stuff, the bike, packed the pannier, and left around 7:45-7:50? There is sometimes a big back up at an intersection about 2.5 miles in, but not usually on Fridays, or until 8 AM. Normally, I have a client at 9, but he had to work, so I wasn't rushed. I didn't even break a sweat, but still glad I was wearing my cycling clothes. Got changed in a snap and didn't even have to use any of my hygiene supplies, except my brush. Coming home, a different story. Not fun going up my street with that heavy pannier, but hey, that's why I have the mountain derailleur.
    Looking forward to many more months of this. Next one is Tuesday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    It's nice to be able to get out without having to layer up so ridiculously. It's still cold but fewer layers required.

Because of my trip, I have been biking a lot, but because I work from home and most things I need are in walking distance, I haven't been commuting by bicycle. I've been walking. Last year I sort of biked in a tornado. A funnel was sighted over the school which was about 5 blocks from where I was biking when the 80 mph straight-line wind came through and swept me off course and knocked down trees on the street I was trying to get down.

Yesterday I was in the gym when the tornado sirens went off. They put us all in the bathrooms which double as tornado shelters. Then we got the all-clear so I gathered up my stuff and headed home. It was raining a little. Then it hailed! I was near shelter so I ducked under the eaves until the hail quit. There was the most beautiful rainbow.

And then the tornado sirens went off again. I was about halfway home-- do I head for the nearest building and take shelter or just go home? I decided to just go home. The sun was shining, the clouds were far off, the wind had died down. There were plenty of houses, all neighbors, that I could take refuge in if something started to happen.

Soon my dad & I will be biking all over Missouri right through tornado season. The bathrooms in all the state parks double as tornado shelters.
    We got those sirens, too. We'd just been out walking the neighborhood with our dog and the dog we were dogsitting. We brought them both into the common apartment shelter. Nothing much happened here but stuff was happening south of us. Glad you were safe. You are safer in a bathroom as you say than in a car driving on the interstate anyhow.

Glad to see you are trying to bike Missouri! If you get to come through here, give me a shout! My BF would love to Bike the Katy. Maybe when I graduate next May we can do that before we move.

I have been commuting quite a bit lately and it's almost halved my gas consumption! Yay. Dang weather makes it hard, though. Today I opted to drive because I had to be on campus all day and it was supposed to POUR. I almost hit a commuter today, though. Some balsy guy, a real PITA, who didn't want to wait for a left turn and just breezed through, full well knowing I had the right of way. I slammed on my brakes and thankfully neither killed him or got rear-ended. Another commuter, a lady who was coming up after his stupid feat looked at me like, "WTF?!" watching him almost kill himself, so it wasn't just me. It's guys like him that make the townies hate us. I can't stand people like that!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Yay Crankin- sounds fantastic
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Rode in. Same 2.5 miles. Averaged about 15 mph coming in. It was cold and FAST.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Seems that my winter bike commutes have finally turned into spring bike commutes -- didn't need the windproof goretex overpants for the first time in months!
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

My second commute was weird. It was cold this morning and it really rained badly yesterday, so I waited until it was 35 out, as I am healthily afraid of black ice of the same kind that took out my friend and broke his hip at this time of year. It was really nice out, despite being cold. A lot more people I work with saw me come in and I got all kinds of questions, like "You rode 5 miles? Oh my God!" But, some good questions, too. I usually work until 6:45 but my last client is coming on a different day, so I left somewhere around 6:15. I didn't have my headlight, and I was cursing myself. It wasn't dark, but when the cars have their lights on, I need to, too. And, there was a bit more traffic than I would have at 7:00. Anyway, my pannier was so packed, I was struggling. Finally, I just decided to slow down, but the big hills felt crazy hard. I took a little bit of a longer way home, up by the back of the North Bridge, to avoid a traffic back up that always happens at rush hour, so I got an extra half a mile in.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura