Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 127 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 1989

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by carlotta View Post
    Last full commute on the crosscheck today, new frame is here tomorrow (!!!!!!!) and I'll ride the crosscheck in tomorrow to drop it a the shop, but need to pull the rack/fenders/bottle cage/bell/etc tonight so there's less extra stuff on there when they swap the parts over.

Not a terribly notable commute.
    Spoke too soon on that...... my rear brake cable broke (inside the lever, old-school brake only lever) on the way home tonight. Luckily a) only half or so of the strands broke so I had a little power still, b) I was rolling to a slow stop and could compensate w/ the front, and c) I was 3 miles or so from home (out of an 11 mile trip) and the remaining part was fairly flat... I walked down the last hill before home, but other than that was able to take it slow and just use the front brake w/ the remaining bit of the rear for possible emergency stops.

Now I have the dilemma of how to get the bike to the shop so they can swap parts onto my new frame. I could wait until Saturday and take it into the city on the train (and then the bus, not going to ride the mile or two from the train to the shop in city traffic with one brake...). Or I have a new set of cables for my single speed, thinking about pulling the old rear one from that bike and tossing it onto the crosscheck for tomorrow. It'll work (if it's long enough) and putting a new cable on for one ride seems kind of wasteful (although riding with questionable brakes doesn't seem like a good idea either). Guess I should figure that out...

Cold! First day that really felt wintry, -6 C. Layered on the lobster gloves, winter boots, yadda yadda, and trundled off on the mtb turned tractor with 300 studs and fit-inducing lights front and back. I'd forgotten what it was like to be warm all over except for a freezing butt, or how to brake downhill to keep from getting too cold, or shift gently because the derailleur is slower below freezing. And how much d*** work it is to ride with studs.

But the roads are snow-free and dry, the air is still and clear, the morning colours are lovely and I actually get to see daylight, both ways if I'm lucky. Compared to what's to come this is a doddle. Summer is a long long way away...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I miss my old commute!

New job makes it impossible for the present. I have an itinerant position 4 schools, another location for where I don't have an office, but I can access supplies, and several "oh--do you have time to go see a kid at this other place?"
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

16F (-9C) temperature at my house this morning, but sunny and no wind. I did my regular 6 mile bike commute, but forgot one important thing. I was bundled in layers and windpants and double windproof mittens and balaclava plus a 2nd cap. My first mile is down a long steep hill, and I got the worst case of whole-head brain freeze because I forgot the helmet cover. After the hill I stopped and put it on and was comfortable the rest of the way. Don't know why I didn't think to slow down on that hill, as LPH suggests. My studded tires aren't on the bike yet, but soon.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I got several rides in during some nice afternoons and then I caught a cold that's knocked me out for a week. I am miserable!!

On the bright side, I'm volunteering for Bike Brigade at the Jr High. I'm assigned for Tues & Thurs mornings. I rode the route once but no kids showed up that day. It's either been canceled or the kids didn't show up. I think so far only one kid rode one day and that wasn't on one of my days. We've only got 3 kids signed up at all, but we're hoping to get more. We lowered our cut-off temp to 28F, and this cold spell is supposed to be over in a few days. Whether we get more kids, it's nice to have an excuse to ride 5 miles at 6:30 am. (Of course, that assumes I ever get over this stupid cold!)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    My first mile is down a long steep hill, and I got the worst case of whole-head brain freeze because I forgot the helmet cover. After the hill I stopped and put it on and was comfortable the rest of the way. Don't know why I didn't think to slow down on that hill, as LPH suggests.
    Because it sucks to have to brake unnecessarily...
    I'm wondering if I'm getting more sensitive with age or just haven't hardened (tf) up yet. I know pretty much exactly what I usually wear at different temps, but still - my head and feet and back of my thighs are colder than I remember, while my hands and face and core are just fine. But I'm generally in worse shape, I can't commute every day without being tired and irritable in the evening.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    We had a snowstorm 1.5 wks. ago. So, it's been nice cycling with the dry air melt-off.

-4 degrees C and no wind which is warm in our area. So might as well cycling as much as I can this week, before we get sacked with next snowfall.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I'm wondering if I'm getting more sensitive with age or just haven't hardened (tf) up yet. I know pretty much exactly what I usually wear at different temps, but still - my head and feet and back of my thighs are colder than I remember, while my hands and face and core are just fine. But I'm generally in worse shape, I can't commute every day without being tired and irritable in the evening.
    I bet a very small increase in temp will make all that go away. But if you hadn't had the colder stuff you wouldn't handle the relatively higher temp any better. Maybe time to re-evaluate your chart. I still have that chart you sent me (converted to awkward Fahrenheit).

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm noticing slightly opposite and I'm in my mid-50's: I'm tolerating a bit more colder temp. since moving to prairies from Vancouver 3 yrs. ago. (Even I can't believe I'm like this.) In fact, I get an odd heat flash for a few seconds, right around just before I leave home..it's almost as if my body is trying to adjust with me wearing warm layers just before stepping out into the winter cold outdoors.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I did my first actually snowy commute this morning, second on the winter bike with studded tires. It took me a couple blocks to figure out where it was best to ride - either the plowed lane or in the fresh snow, not in tracks. I also had to take a brand new route since there is now construction on my old one. Found out construction started on this new one too! Who starts construction in Minnesota in December? Apparently the City of Saint Paul does. The traffic was backed up for blocks. I didn't know if I should sit in traffic or slowly pass everyone on the right, but since being 20 minutes late to work wasn't an option today, I hugged the curb and passed block after block of cars into downtown St. Paul. Felt pretty awesome.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I rode 12.8 miles to and from a meeting today. It was chilly but refreshing. I don't get much commuting in since I work from home, so I'm glad to do it when I can. On the way back I found a very cool cafe that I had not been to before, so I had a cuppa and did some work there. It was nice to get out of the house.

We got that early snow and nasty cold -- the kind that can make the commute more of a chore than a joy. You know, the days where it seems it takes you longer to bundle up than to ride. That is, until you've been riding for 20 minutes and realize that the grease in your hubs is trying to solidify and your commute is going to be long. It is dark because these days it is dark both ways. Blah...no fun...the industrial park/stadium outflow parking/canal scrubland you ride through to avoid traffic feels particularly cold and menacing. And then....

A bird swoops down in front of me. White as white can be....owl shaped? I'm too far south and too urban for a snowy owl? Can't be. Cold must be getting to me. Next day, the bird is back. Yep, definitely white. Definitely owl shaped, but I only see glimpses.

Later that night, I read the news article...yep, snowy owls have moved into the area. Never would have seen it if I had driven a car. Gotta love even the "ugly" winter commutes.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

Snow tires on!

I was going to fix up the bike my husband doesn't ride to be my snow bike. But I never got around to getting 26" studded tires and I needed to go somewhere today that was a bit far for walking, so I put the 700cc studded tires on my bike. I could have walked down our street and after that it was plowed so I'd have been all right without the studded tires, but it was nice to have them on the plowed roads in case there was an icy patch or a bit of slush.

They even plowed the bike lane!

My destination was the 4th Ward Coffee Shop Conversations. I was the only one from 4th Ward-- a contingency from 6th Ward had come to talk about a proposed development that they oppose. It probably won't be approved, for many reasons. It was fun & I now have a TED talk and a book to look for. But I hope next week there is a higher turnout from 4th Ward. For one thing I'd like to meet my neighbors.

Well, I'd like to think that my commute was longer than a mile, but the reality is that is what I have. However, it was a great ride home tonight, 7 degrees with some wind, but absolutely beautiful out! Yeah for FATBIKES

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I started working at a co-working office space, so I have a bike commute again! Working from home gets very isolating. So now a few days a week I will ride my bike 6 miles each way to the "office." Very cool, with lots of innovative and creative folks to be around. Yesterday was my first day, and not only did I get more done in 5 hours there than I do at home, I got to ride my bike there and back, and when I got home I was free of work responsibilities. I think I'm going to like this.

(not to mention the free awesome coffee and nearby food trucks)